Btech 50x1 & V1 GMRS Frequencies not connecting

Norcalgmrs

Question

Hello all,

So I recently purchased and installed a Btech GMRS 50X1 in my truck and have a GMRS V1 for handheld. I have the correct USB cables and successfully used CHIRP to download the FRS and GMRS frequencies into both units. (Looking back I should have just kept the frequencies that came preprogrammed, but I digress) 

I have the 50x1 connected to an NMO antennae and the V1 is using the stock antennae. 

I can connect on all 22 FRS channels but as soon as I switch to the first GMRS channel, CH.9, I can't connect.. at all. None of the GMRS channels will connect. If I key one of the units I'll get a static hit on the other unit but I can't talk into either one on the GMRS channels. 

I was able to pick up a conversation on my local GMRS 9, but I can't connect. Maybe they were using a PL code, I don't know. But I still can't connect my two units on an open GMRS freq, like GMRS 10 or other. I could connect on GMRS the other day before I put CHIRP on the 50x1 but not now. So frustrating. Any thoughts?

11 answers to this question

HHmmm, It sounds like your talking about the GMRS repeater channels which will not allow you to talk direct from one radio to another radio. Since you programed the radios, could you tell me the frequencies you used for TX and RX, as that will confirm if you are trying to use the repeater channels vs normal simplex channels.

HHmmm, It sounds like your talking about the GMRS repeater channels which will not allow you to talk direct from one radio to another radio. Since you programed the radios, could you tell me the frequencies you used for TX and RX, as that will confirm if you are trying to use the repeater channels vs normal simplex channels.

Thanks for your reply. When I say I can't connect on GMRS freqs, I mean I can't connect on even non- repeater freqs. I didn't do any programming other than copying and pasting the FRS/GMRS freqs provided by CHIRP into both units. All usage thus far has been attempts at simplex usage.

Well I ask because there are only 22 channels in total between GMRS and FRS, plus 8 additional repeater inputs. (which use channels 15-22 as outputs) So if you are able to connect on the 22 FRS channels, that only leaves the 8 GMRS repeater channels.

Right, so if, say, FRS 1 and GMRS 1 are the same frequency just utilizing different power (FRS 2W, GMRS 5W) then there shouldn't be any issue with connecting on the GMRS channels. But I can't get the GMRS channels to communicate. Something got screwed up during CHIRP. I may just factory install and start over. But there's smarter minds working on this for me. I'll provide an update if/ when this gets figured out.

Since I couldn't get a direct answer, I downloaded and installed chirp. I am assuming you used Chirp's default FRS/GMRS lineup. If that is the case, you should have FRS 1-14, and GMRS 1-8 All channels are simplex. GMRS 1-8 are actually channels 15-22 on the bubble pack radios.  If both radios have the same FRS/GMRS chart installed then they should both work if they are on the same channel.

Now, you keep talking about GMRS channels 9 and 10 which is NOT in the factory chirp file which surely you now understand my confusion and why I asked about how you have programed the radio. GMRS 9 and 10 could be FRS 9 and 10, they could be repeater channels, they could be a goofed up channel you put in. Without seeing data and instead being given info on power output means I cant help you figure out where the mistake is. It could be a programming error, a bad code plug, could be one of the radios was defective, could be human error. Without the info I asked about I cant even begin to figure out what is going on.

Are you on Windows 10? If so have Chirp open and use the free app (snip and sketch) included with Windows and copy your chirp settings then maybe he can help you. Also the Btech GMRS 50X1 handles channels 7 through 14 differently from the GMRS V1 per the manufacture the hand held will receive and transmit on those channels where the 50X1 will not transmit. Hope this helps.

Since I couldn't get a direct answer, I downloaded and installed chirp. I am assuming you used Chirp's default FRS/GMRS lineup. If that is the case, you should have FRS 1-14, and GMRS 1-8 All channels are simplex. GMRS 1-8 are actually channels 15-22 on the bubble pack radios. If both radios have the same FRS/GMRS chart installed then they should both work if they are on the same channel.

Now, you keep talking about GMRS channels 9 and 10 which is NOT in the factory chirp file which surely you now understand my confusion and why I asked about how you have programed the radio. GMRS 9 and 10 could be FRS 9 and 10, they could be repeater channels, they could be a goofed up channel you put in. Without seeing data and instead being given info on power output means I cant help you figure out where the mistake is. It could be a programming error, a bad code plug, could be one of the radios was defective, could be human error. Without the info I asked about I cant even begin to figure out what is going on.

I appreciate you trying to work with me on this. You know far more than I do so I apologize if I'm unable to give you the answers you need to help me figure out just what the heck is going on. I've provided PNG files of my CHIRP configs for both units... if that helps. These are the most recent configs that tech support from MyGMRS put together and I still can't connect on non- repeater GMRS channels. FRS is fine. Thanks again.

post-2926-0-41849600-1585441236_thumb.png

post-2926-0-34799100-1585441247_thumb.png

post-2926-0-13723700-1585441260_thumb.png

post-2926-0-34119900-1585441271_thumb.png

I just went through this with a few b tech 50x1s 

so each of the freqs 1-30 are hard coded to the radio and cant be changed....

1-7 ar the frs/gmrs and low power, you can change the name and the tone but the freq and power will always revert back to the factory set.

8-14 and set for frs 8-14 and are RX ONLY

15-30 are able to go to the High power TX,

23-30 are the repeater input spots, so if you need to program a repeater freq or a 550 repeater then it HAS to go on the slot 23 and 575 on 24 ect

thus you are not able to program multiples of the same freq but different slots...

31-256 are RX only

IF you try to add, say 462.550 it will work as expected if put into slot  15, but if you try to put 462.550 into slot 16 everything appears to be ok, until you write to the radio, slot 16 will change back to 462.575 even though the name you added and tone are saved.

the same is true for the repeater channels, they can only be in the 23-30 slots on chirp, 23 being 15 in etc

hope this helps someone out.