FRS frequency being transmitted on Repeater channel?

Mikeam

Question

So FRS 462.5625 (channel1) when transmitted on ( by another person) is also coming in on Repeater 18 frequency 467.6250. Local child playing all day on channel 1 is coming in on repeater 18 with the aforementioned frequencies. According to my math the + 5 MHz does not make this happen or am I missing something?

5 answers to this question

I don't think he is talking about the signal actually being repeated, I think he means the signal comes in on his radio on both channels - in which case his receiver is not alligned properly, or it is a CCR with a lot of unknown IF leakage.

You are correct there is no repeater in the area where I am at right now, also did an experiment with a second radio last night with the frequencies listed above if I transmit on FRS 1 and the second radio is listening on the repeater channel 18 there is no response on the repeater channel. Then I reversed both hand held radios with the same result so all is well with my equipment. I suspect one of the trail bike families in the area is using a ham hand held radio instead of a GMRS radio and they are programmed wrong!

I've seen shady radio shops set people up on FRS/GMRS frequencies illegally, if this is a random repeater you've found and not one you know personally. My favorite was a FedEx hub operating a repeater on the FRS frequencies with a range of like 15 miles or more to cover their warehouse. F-bombs day and night constantly, just shocking crap you'd hear. They thought they had a private channel, meanwhile they were splattering all over FRS. Needless to say the FCC paid them a visit and got them on business band literally overnight. They had a STA grant the very next day for a business pair and their FRS repeater went silent. Not sure if they were fined, but the visit was effective.

If you ask me there is an issue with the repeater. That is WAY off frequency meaning the RX side of the repeater likely needs service.

Based on the initial description, I would say it is more likely a case of something intentional. Perhaps something like Rich describes. Note the repeater pair is used upside down(in low, out high) and also is not the standard UHF 5 MHz split.