Powering a Midland MXT400 as a Base Station

scottnicely

Question

Hello. I'm a bit of a newbie here and thought I would share some information, as well as see if anyone else ran into this. I bought a second Midland MXT400 to serve as a base station. Instead of hooking up to a 12V battery, I wanted to plug into an AC to DC converter. I bought one that I thought would work. However, the MXT400 gave a "LO DC" error on transmit at full power. I began to think there was a problem with the radio. However, if I lowered the radio to Mid or Lo for transmit, it worked ok. I also then hooked it up to the truck battery directly and its did not have this response at full power transmit. So, I did some research and Midland said this radio needs at least a 10 AMP AC to DC converter (mine was a 6 AMP constant, 8 AMP surge). I've ordered a 10 AMP constant, 12 AMP surge) and will update the outcome here.

https://midlandusa.com/convert-micromobile-base-station/

Scott

10 answers to this question

Yes, you will always need a power supply rated a least equal to what the equipment is rated to draw. You are very wise to upsize. Most generally speaking, the closer you approach the maximum rated output of your power supply the more the voltage on the power supply will dip. Good practice to add 25-50% or more extra capacity IMO.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Hey Scott,

I'm a little less of a newbie than you, but picked up a Astron RS-35M for a base station set-up (& whatever future endeavors) from Ham Radio Outlet and have been very satisfied with it.  Plenty of power for two radios, in case you ever decide to put up a repeater.  Seems to be recommended by a lot of HAMs. 

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-016694

Regards,

Dan

On 2/5/2021 at 7:52 PM, scottnicely said:

Hello. I'm a bit of a newbie here and thought I would share some information, as well as see if anyone else ran into this. I bought a second Midland MXT400 to serve as a base station. Instead of hooking up to a 12V battery, I wanted to plug into an AC to DC converter. I bought one that I thought would work. However, the MXT400 gave a "LO DC" error on transmit at full power. I began to think there was a problem with the radio. However, if I lowered the radio to Mid or Lo for transmit, it worked ok. I also then hooked it up to the truck battery directly and its did not have this response at full power transmit. So, I did some research and Midland said this radio needs at least a 10 AMP AC to DC converter (mine was a 6 AMP constant, 8 AMP surge). I've ordered a 10 AMP constant, 12 AMP surge) and will update the outcome here.

https://midlandusa.com/convert-micromobile-base-station/

Scott

Hi there!! I'm a new GMRS licensed user and the reason of this post is to ask you about your  experience using a MXT400 as a base station. I've installed my base at home, and it's connected to a 50' of RG8X coaxial cable and a UHF Base Antenna with +5dB Gain for GMRS radios. I've located this antenna at 20' from the ground at the rooftop of my house, the base is connected to the power supply recommended for Midland, but I don't have a reliable connection with my devices. It not give more than a mile of range. I live in Miami, Florida and I don't know if I'm doing something wrong and would like to ask you, or someone, if can help me with this issue. Thank you for your help!!!

Hi there!! I'm a new GMRS licensed user and the reason of this post is to ask you about your  experience using a MXT400 as a base station. I've installed my base at home, and it's connected to a 50' of RG8X coaxial cable and a UHF Base Antenna with +5dB Gain for GMRS radios. I've located this antenna at 20' from the ground at the rooftop of my house, the base is connected to the power supply recommended for Midland, but I don't have a reliable connection with my devices. It not give more than a mile of range. I live in Miami, Florida and I don't know if I'm doing something wrong and would like to ask you, or someone, if can help me with this issue. Thank you for your help!!!

Obstructions are your enemy. Obstructions are the earth, buildings, trees, etc. 20’ foot can be plenty high in many locations but is insufficient in many others. It also depends upon the elevation of the other radio’s antenna and the obstacles between them. Getting at least one antenna high relative to the obstacles is material to success. This is why the best working repeaters have antenna that are much higher than the average ground elevation and above other obstacles in the vicinity.

Before I freak out about current performance, I would take an HT up the roof and try to communicate with another known working HT or mobile unit. The range you get doing this could be incredibly enlightening and that may help you with future decisions.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM