Looking for low-loss NMO mag-mount

WRKU973

Question

Looking to pair a Midland MXT275 GMRS radio in a vehicle with a Browning BR-176-S antenna (pic attached).  Having trouble researching NMO mag-mount antennas for this in terms of finding one with low loss.  Have read these mounts can be very lossy.  They all seem to use RG-58 cables and the cable lengths only vary by a few feet (don't want cut it shorter and install new connector).  Anyone have strong feelings toward a particular NMO mag-mount (with cable) when it comes to loss considerations?

Antenna note: I need a short antenna to get in my garage; want it on the roof of the bride's Forester.  Considered a 6db lip-mounted 5/8 wave on the lower corner of the hatch near the rear bumper, but the cost goes up (as does gain) but I felt it might be less "omni-directional" if it were mounted there.  Was looking at the Midland MXTA10 antenna but it's discontinued and not available in the more common places.  Suspect the Browning might be a bit better quality but, right now, it's the only one I can find that's short enough for my considerations so I think I'm going with it.

Anyway, I'm searching for an NMO mag-mount and would love to hear back if anyone has any knowlege about which models might have less loss.  The radio is only 15W so I wanna retain as much power as I can.    

post-4573-0-53492300-1614446959_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

It's a little more than the one pictured, but some googling found this laird that's a pretty close facsimile of the mxta10, though this one is 1/2 wave, supposedly. https://allterracentral.com/antenex-3db-gain-radio-antenna.html

More digging also found this Tram at the antenna farm, for a couple bucks cheaper: https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=191_192_196_214&products_id=1564

Thanks, Wayoverthere, for those suggestions.  I have heard good things about the Laird brand and both of the ones you suggested would fit my application.  I will look into those, for sure.  My question, really, is about buying the NMO magnetic mount, one that comes with cabling and a PL-259 connector to attach to the radio.  Very little info on loss in product descriptions on line.  

Axorlov, I will check out the DXEngineering site.  Believe that cabling is better than the typical RG58 that it seems most come with.  Thanks.

If anyone has further suggestions for a low-loss, NMO mag-mount, I'm definitely still interested in as many suggestions as I can get.  

My question, really, is about buying the NMO magnetic mount, one that comes with cabling and a PL-259 connector to attach to the radio. Very little info on loss in product descriptions on line.

Gotcha. Back to google and found a couple options in addition to what dx engineering offers:

Antenna farm lists a rg8x mount, and this one claiming low loss br195 cable: https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=264_265_273&products_id=8079

Arcadian inc also lists pulse/larsen with lmr200 cable and an n connector (pulse/larsen also lists a sma version and a no-connector version) https://www.arcantenna.com/products/pulse-larsen-nmommr200n-nmo-magnetic-mount-12-foot-lmr200-cable-n-male-connector?variant=32296826601603

Thanks much!  Super helpful of you, Wayoverthere.

I'd seen that one on Antenna Farm and it was hard to find out what cabling it actually has.  But, your reference to the Pulse Larson mag mount has born fruit, I think.  Led me to their model NMOMMR200SMA.   Looked at their product specs and it's interesting.  Almost all their NMO mag-mounts still use RG58, except this model, which comes with either a type N, SMA, or no connector.  It also has a shorter coax at 12', where most of the mounts I've looked at have 17' or so.  I think I can make 12' work and, for this; less is more.  (I opted for a 15W radio, vs a 50W, as the display was on the mic and that's super-desirable in this particular mounting application.  Trying to preserve whatever wattage I can and have learned that a high percentage is typically lost from the mount & cabling.)

A little additional googling has taught me that the LMR200 cabling has about 40% less loss than RG58, so it's very desirable.  I wasn't able to determine if that one on AntennaFarm's site is using LMR195; I couldn't locate the "BR195" they refer to.  Might call 'em up tomorrow and inquire, but betting they'll just quote the catalog to me which won't teach me anything.

Very hard to find this Pulse Larson model in anyone's inventory.  Digikey has 'em and the price is about double what some list em for but the others have no inventory.  None the less, I have two leads, Digikey and Neobits, who'm I've never heard of.  Will call 'n see.  I could use the SMA version as I have a PL-259 adaptor for and SMA connection.  Might re-introduce a little loss, but should be minimal.  Read online that the center wire in the LMR200 is thicker than RG58, and that it can be tricky to connect a PL-259 connector directly to it.  Some say you need to "round-out" the conductor to get it seated.  Have never connected one of these before.  I'm sure I could figure it out but I'd need to buy the crimping tool and connector.  Think I'll just use the adaptor for the SMA version but will see what a crimper runs me, might be handy another time.  

Very helpful of you to send me those links.  Adding a couple pics with information regarding the cabling.  Think I'm good from here.  

post-4573-0-68366700-1614529884_thumb.jpg

post-4573-0-87572200-1614529986_thumb.jpg

Ham Radio Outlet has lots of NMO mounts.

You should be able to find something good there.

I think all of my NMO's have come without the connector installed because you need to fish the cable through anyway.

So I think I have always installed the connector after cutting the cable to the desired length. 

Looks like 20' of RG58 is less than 2db of loss at 460MHz.

10' of course would be just half that or 1dB.

Not the end of the world.

A good antenna will easily make it up.

Vince

Thanks much!  Super helpful of you, Wayoverthere.

I'd seen that one on Antenna Farm and it was hard to find out what cabling it actually has.  But, your reference to the Pulse Larson mag mount has born fruit, I think.  Led me to their model NMOMMR200SMA.   Looked at their product specs and it's interesting.  Almost all their NMO mag-mounts still use RG58, except this model, which comes with either a type N, SMA, or no connector.  It also has a shorter coax at 12', where most of the mounts I've looked at have 17' or so.  I think I can make 12' work and, for this; less is more.  (I opted for a 15W radio, vs a 50W, as the display was on the mic and that's super-desirable in this particular mounting application.  Trying to preserve whatever wattage I can and have learned that a high percentage is typically lost from the mount & cabling.)

A little additional googling has taught me that the LMR200 cabling has about 40% less loss than RG58, so it's very desirable.  I wasn't able to determine if that one on AntennaFarm's site is using LMR195; I couldn't locate the "BR195" they refer to.  Might call 'em up tomorrow and inquire, but betting they'll just quote the catalog to me which won't teach me anything.

Very hard to find this Pulse Larson model in anyone's inventory.  Digikey has 'em and the price is about double what some list em for but the others have no inventory.  None the less, I have two leads, Digikey and Neobits, who'm I've never heard of.  Will call 'n see.  I could use the SMA version as I have a PL-259 adaptor for and SMA connection.  Might re-introduce a little loss, but should be minimal.  Read online that the center wire in the LMR200 is thicker than RG58, and that it can be tricky to connect a PL-259 connector directly to it.  Some say you need to "round-out" the conductor to get it seated.  Have never connected one of these before.  I'm sure I could figure it out but I'd need to buy the crimping tool and connector.  Think I'll just use the adaptor for the SMA version but will see what a crimper runs me, might be handy another time.  

Very helpful of you to send me those links.  Adding a couple pics with information regarding the cabling.  Think I'm good from here.  

Glad to help!  I saw the same options from pulse/larsen, but my phone wasn't playing along with being able to link the pdf brochure that showed all the model numbers involved for the sma and unterminated versions..

on the BR-195, i didn't find any actual description either, though i suspect it may be Browning's version of LMR195...it may be one of those trademark workaround things, since in researching, i found mention of the LMRXXX line being Times Microwave products.

So 99% of your public safety vehicles on the road use RG58 on an NMO mount Under 16' of cable I wouldn't worry about RG58 on UHF. If your running 50' then you should have concern. Being your using a mag mount it really doesn't matter. You will not notice a difference in RG58 vs LMR240 or RG8X.