Need Help Using First Radio For Event

Guest Aquarian

Guest Aquarian

Hi,

I picked up a pair of Retivis RT5 dual bands. Mostly to attempt some caravans with my club on the road. But first...

I'm gonna use them next weekend for a special event, but I haven't bought a GMRS license yet. I may very soon. Using pc program hooked to radio, I've programmed channels 1-22  in there first, set them all at 2 watts. I don't have the option of going lower of what the FCC says, the unit  capability is by picking either 2 watts, 5 watts, or 8 watts.

I noticed the FCC recently changed the channels around mixing both FRS and GMRS. Anyway....I'd really like to push the capability to 5 watts on FRS a chosen channel. Is that still a no-no for the circumstance I need? Radios will be used at small hotel resort, from building to building for about 3 days total. I need it to penetrate walls and such, luckily all within a half-mile from each other. 

Now, there was another event at the same place recently. I tested channel 6 with privacy code. I was able to hear guy from hotel lobby one time, he heard me one time, but we didn't get any other transmission. This was using 2 watts max. If I set it to 5, will that help penetrate better, or will I get flagged by FCC during the 3 days I need it?

What channel should I use for what I need?  

FRS requires a non removable antenna, your radio is non compliant for use on FRS for several other reasons as well. 2 watts is Max for FRS. A radio used on FRS should not even offer to option for higher output. If you wish to use 5 watts, get your GMRS license and use a GMRS channel. I assume your radio is a BF-F9-HP?

will I get flagged by FCC during the 3 days I need it?

Being realistic, there is minimal possibility of causing harmful interference and obviously the FCC won't be sending jack booted thugs thru the door the second you key up.  But considering this is a GMRS forum, nobody here will help you use any radios in any illegal fashion, on GMRS or any other band.  The bottom line is that there is no scenario where you can use those Retevis RT5 (re-branded Baofeng UV-5) radios on the GMRS band (with or without a license) and be in full FCC compliance, as the radios lack the proper FCC type certification. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aquarian

Alright, thanks for the info. Yes it does have a removable antenna, I purchased the optional whip for it. Tho I didn't use the whip for event, that was a little awkward as we ran around with them. I was actually able to get a license mere 2 days before the event. Call sign and everything. I pre-set something for 8 watts and it was able to reach around the corner from the venue to a sandwich shop where I was on a lunch run.... was totally impressed. It served us in the capacity we needed for 3 days. So now, comes another issue.... seems I will have to buy a different brand radio that FCC agrees with.