Welcome!

rdunajewski

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.  I'm new here.  Posted the other day in some of the forums, but figured I'd make it official here.  I thought HTs would be good for keeping in touch with family that live near me.  One household is 5000 feet away in the next neighborhood and the other is 2 miles the opposite direction (both straight-line distances).  Looks like we're all going to have to upgrade to mobile/base stations with an elevated antenna. 

I receive on a repeater, but no idea if I could transmit through it (definitely not on the HTs unless there's an unmarked one very close).  The maps/DB here don't show any in a decent range.

I also thought I'd stop at GMRS, but will be taking the amateur tech license test in January.  I think I caught "the bug."  

I keep the money tree watered and fertilized, but no fruit yet. :D

Welcome! and congrats... 

So, 2 miles, is this in suburban environment? flat terrain? 

Love the money tree analogy... :) but you are going to need more than water and fertilizer if you caught "the bug"... it starts with the house a couple of miles down the road, and by the time you realize it you're in a few or so grand... 

G.

Hi all.  I'm new here.  Posted the other day in some of the forums, but figured I'd make it official here.  I thought HTs would be good for keeping in touch with family that live near me.  One household is 5000 feet away in the next neighborhood and the other is 2 miles the opposite direction (both straight-line distances).  Looks like we're all going to have to upgrade to mobile/base stations with an elevated antenna. 

I receive on a repeater, but no idea if I could transmit through it (definitely not on the HTs unless there's an unmarked one very close).  The maps/DB here don't show any in a decent range.

I also thought I'd stop at GMRS, but will be taking the amateur tech license test in January.  I think I caught "the bug."  

I keep the money tree watered and fertilized, but no fruit yet. :D

Rural with lots of trees, some rolling hills which may or may not be higher than our properties and some open farm fields between us. 

The other home that is 5000 feet away is on the other side of a hill that is about 1700 feet from my house and is a bit higher than ground level of my lot, then more trees and a field or 2.  

Welcome! and congrats... 

So, 2 miles, is this in suburban environment? flat terrain? 

Love the money tree analogy... :) but you are going to need more than water and fertilizer if you caught "the bug"... it starts with the house a couple of miles down the road, and by the time you realize it you're in a few or so grand... 

G.

You could try with your handhelds while sitting on the roof of each house (if possible, and if its not too dangerous). If the portables reach, when both radios are on the room, then all you probably need is a roof mounted 1/4 wave antenna. 

2 miles out is at the edge of radio horizon for high end portables...  so if you don't want to invest a ton of money I think a couple of 1/4 wave antennas on the roof of each house is going to do it nicely.

G.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum... I joined in mid November and have learned 1000%... read all post, learn and ask questions...  This group does a great job of answer the same old questions... which I have asked.  Made new great friends and mentors... I value these guys.

Jack

Newly licenced, and member. Ready to learn. Happy holidays to all.

Hello All.  New here and new to GMRS.  Got the Midlands MXT275 and will be installing it and the 6db antenna on my Jeep.  Hope to do some off roading in Colorado this summer and read that the Jeep Jamboree's are moving to GMRS, so thought I should learn and prepare.   Are there channels that are used more than others?  I thought I read somewhere that truckers will use channel 7.

Looks like a great site.

Thanks

Welcome to the group.  You will enjoy the wealth of knowledge here.  So where are you putting your antenna on your Jeep?  I looking for idea for my JLR.  I learned on the web that GMRS using 20 as a channel for emergencies.  Maybe others can firm that.

Jack

Hello All.  New here and new to GMRS.  Got the Midlands MXT275 and will be installing it and the 6db antenna on my Jeep.  Hope to do some off roading in Colorado this summer and read that the Jeep Jamboree's are moving to GMRS, so thought I should learn and prepare.   Are there channels that are used more than others?  I thought I read somewhere that truckers will use channel 7.

Looks like a great site.

Thanks

Thanks, is this it?  https://topsyproducts.com/products/jl-fender-mount-nmo-antenna-bracket?_pos=1&_sid=54d697be6&_ss=r

Let me know how it goes... what antenna are you using... I have a Midland MicroMobile MXTA26 6db Gain Whip Antenna https://www.buytwowayradios.com/midland-mxta26.html

What wiring are you using with your fender mount?

Jack 

MacJack I am using JL Fender Mount NMO Antenna Bracket from https://topsyproducts.com/
Hope to install this weekend.

Thanks, is this it? https://topsyproducts.com/products/jl-fender-mount-nmo-antenna-bracket?_pos=1&_sid=54d697be6&_ss=r

Let me know how it goes... what antenna are you using... I have a Midland MicroMobile MXTA26 6db Gain Whip Antenna https://www.buytwowayradios.com/midland-mxta26.html

What wiring are you using with your fender mount?

Jack