Welcome!

rdunajewski

Yes that is it. I used the wire that Midland recommends with it (NMO). It is more wire length than I needed but was able to bundle together under the seat. I drilled a hole in the little plastic cap between fire wall and cab. Will see if I get better signal with it. I can send pics if you want?

https://midlandusa.com/product/micromobile-mxta24-low-profile-antenna-cable/

Hello all,

New to the hobby side of things, but have been around radios since a little kid. VHF marine as my dad had a boat, did the CB thing for a while with high school friends and first car, and Fire/EMS for 25+ years now. Gave Washington $70 and overnight became a new person, lol. Looking forward to figuring out what a thought I may have known.

Best regards,

George

WRKJ783

Welcome George.

Hello all,

New to the hobby side of things, but have been around radios since a little kid. VHF marine as my dad had a boat, did the CB thing for a while with high school friends and first car, and Fire/EMS for 25+ years now. Gave Washington $70 and overnight became a new person, lol. Looking forward to figuring out what a thought I may have known.

Best regards,

George

WRKJ783

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Long time lurker. Got my GMRS license last year. I use a B-Tech GMRS V-1. I also have some other cheaper Radioditty "give away" handhelds for non-radio friends. I just bought a Kenwood 880 v1, just need good antenna and vehicle mount for it.

I actually got into GMRS from CB, which these two services are motivating me to get a ham ticket. Thanks for the forums (I kinda miss forums instead of reddit)

Thanks for the forums (I kinda miss forums instead of reddit)

Been pondering that factor lately, and completely agree, although even reddit is a step up from Facebook for being able to make use of a knowledge base like this.

(One of my car groups has ditched the forum and gone all Facebook...not a fan)

New to GMRS.  2nd day with WRKP227 - Reside in the northwest cornfields of The Peoples Republic Of Illinois.  First radio was a CB in 1963.  Intended to go HAM but after my 18th birthday, L.B.J. invited me to join a different group and that changed everything.  Much to learn.  Setting up a base, waiting on a J-Pole antenna from  KB9VBR on the other side of the Cheddar Curtain.  Thanks in advance.

New to GMRS. 2nd day with WRKP227 - Reside in the northwest cornfields of The Peoples Republic Of Illinois. First radio was a CB in 1963. Intended to go HAM but after my 18th birthday, L.B.J. invited me to join a different group and that changed everything. Much to learn. Setting up a base, waiting on a J-Pole antenna from KB9VBR on the other side of the Cheddar Curtain. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum. Welcome to GMRS.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Welcome aboard.. and thanks for your service (Cheddar Curtain.. LOL)  

New to GMRS.  2nd day with WRKP227 - Reside in the northwest cornfields of The Peoples Republic Of Illinois.  First radio was a CB in 1963.  Intended to go HAM but after my 18th birthday, L.B.J. invited me to join a different group and that changed everything.  Much to learn.  Setting up a base, waiting on a J-Pole antenna from  KB9VBR on the other side of the Cheddar Curtain.  Thanks in advance.

Hello to all, thank you for having me. I am a  newbie to this hobby. I have had walkie talkies, but never serious. Just received my GMRS license and purchased a BTech - GMRS -V1 radio. 

I live in northern central lower peninsula. I charged my battery and turned on this radio expecting to hear some chatter, but to no avail nothing. I did manage to program NOAA .

So my question I have is setting the squelch higher does this make static less or more. I notice scanning it stops and there is a lot of static. I have it set on 5 . Thank you for your input this is WRKN318 out!!!  :)   

Welcome WRKN318, this is WRJX754 over...  5 is a good number to start on your squelch unless you are getting noise on scan... What you are not hearing tells me the other person can trigger your handheld to opens up but to weak to get you.  If you go higher on squelch you will not hear them at all... In fact you will only hear those who voice will come over and will not be tripped up.  I would look for a better antenna, I have two of these BUT make sure they will fit your handheld before ordering as I have a KG-805G.  It is night and day on making my 805G work for miles.  https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2020/07/new-gmrs-antennas-from-nagoya-are-now-available.html 

You will have a great time on this forum, enjoy yourself and keep asking questions so other newbies like you and me will learn.

Jack

Good day WRJX754, thanks for the input. I do get static when it scans only on certain channels. I did purchase a better antenna (longer)  it is a NAGOYA NA-771  I believe it is around 15" long.

Thank you for the link I'll check it out. Tried the link I got a error 404  page not found.

have a great day!