Welcome!

rdunajewski

Great on the Jeep, mine too JKUR (Hard Rock), guess my third.  Had YJ for about 9 years, then rebuilt a 1955 Willys and drove for 5 years.  I bought the Midland MXT275 and plan on using the MXTA25 3DB.  I have a storage rack at the rear over the tire and plan on attaching it at the top so it should be the highest thing on the Jeep.  I was trying to upload a picture but couldn’t figure out out.  

Welcome to the community from a fellow Jeep newbie since Nov 2020.  I saw your Jeep as I have a 2018 JLR (4th Jeep).  What radio and antenna did you order.  I use a https://www.buytwowa...and-mxta26.html with mag base https://www.buytwowayradios.com/midland-mxta12.html  But under full disclosure I have only put it on my steel bumper to test it out and found that my KG-805G and KG-905G handheld works so well with it's 15 inch antenna which mounted on the passenger handheld with a mic/speaker draped over the mirror.  Photos available, just PM me with your email address so I can send them as have issues in uploading photos on this forum.  

Keep reading all you can and ask questions as these guys are very helpful, friendly and everyone has a viewpoint that will lead you to your own decision as to what is best for you.  It is a great experience walking with these GMRS/Hams guys.  

Jack

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all. Just added a MXT275 radio and a MXTA25 ghost antenna to my Jeep for trail comms. Since it has a bit more juice than the Motorola hand-helds I was using while skiing, hunting, offroading, etc. I went out and got all licensed up (WRMN261).

I was sitting listening to some check-in's yesterday and am intrigued on how the system works and what all that was about. Look forward to learning more as it seems a bit more complex than the old CB/SSB days of my youth.

Greetings all. Just added a MXT275 radio and a MXTA25 ghost antenna to my Jeep for trail comms. Since it has a bit more juice than the Motorola hand-helds I was using while skiing, hunting, offroading, etc. I went out and got all licensed up (WRMN261).

I was sitting listening to some check-in's yesterday and am intrigued on how the system works and what all that was about. Look forward to learning more as it seems a bit more complex than the old CB/SSB days of my youth.

Welcome to myGMRS. Loads of information and lots of friendly people here. Enjoy your stay.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy from McKinney TX.

Total GMRS newb.  

Bought a BTech GMRS-V1 while stocking a bugout bag and about 5 days after receiving it, I came across the Wouxun  KG-UV9G Pro GMRS and bought it also. 

Really got them to just scan channels and listen to weather.  Within 2 weeks of having the Wouxun, I had my FCC GMRS license.

Looking forward to expanding my knowledge of GMRS (pretty easy to expand when starting with no experience).  

Rob

4 hours ago, SkylinesSuck said:

IRST stuff, or something else? I'm sure there are probably a bunch of other applications for that tech I'm just not thinking of.  

Thanks for the welcome :)

can’t discuss end use.

But correct, there are a lot of different applications for EO/IR devices. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,  just got my license and first GMRS radio.  I have been a CB radio hobbyist in the past, used FRS radios for car club cruises and events, used both CB and FRS when I used to go offroading, and have recently returned to the car scene.  I have a Motorola Talkabout T482, but really wanted something with more power.  I really wanted a radio that I could charge with a USB cable, and I ended up with a Radioddity GM-30 that I found for a great price.

I am not familiar with using repeaters, but knew I wanted a radio that was capable of working with them.  Down the road, I plan on getting a mobile unit to mount in my car for even greater range.

Looking forward to learning more from this site.

-Jeff

gm-30.jpg

Hi all,  just got my license and first GMRS radio.  I have been a CB radio hobbyist in the past, used FRS radios for car club cruises and events, used both CB and FRS when I used to go offroading, and have recently returned to the car scene.  I have a Motorola Talkabout T482, but really wanted something with more power.  I really wanted a radio that I could charge with a USB cable, and I ended up with a Radioddity GM-30 that I found for a great price.
I am not familiar with using repeaters, but knew I wanted a radio that was capable of working with them.  Down the road, I plan on getting a mobile unit to mount in my car for even greater range.
Looking forward to learning more from this site.

-Jeff
gm-30.thumb.jpg.7cd5fb7cccb81c465762a6b8a3bf5149.jpg

Welcome to myGRMS Jeff. Enjoy your time here. Be certain to pass on your knowledge of GMRS as it grows.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone another NOOB here LOL!

Got my GMRS license back in March but have held off getting active till my antenna was complete, (the radio God's have spoken and it is not operational woohoo)! I'm in beautiful serene Edgar Florida where i can hear the frawgs fart LOL!

I'm operating on a custom engineered ROHN fold down tower (my lower guy line stainless aircraft cable should arrive this week to finish up the tower) on a Diamond dual band antenna topped out at 65', (I've spent the past 3 months installing the tower and the concrete alone bout killed me). I'll be doing some upgrades to my hoisting methodology in the coming months as it's just too hard for this retired/disabled 60 yr old man to be fighting with, (a mighty mule 4K pound hand crank winch at present). Guy wires are isolated/8' ground rods driven at the base of the tower as well as each guy wire/line anchor (where 660 pounds of concrete are poured for each anchor).

I'm getting little traffic on my little Baofeng UV9R HT for now, (plans on upgrading the radio to a little higher wattage in the coming months AFTER I get a tuner to see what's going on here). I'll try to slow down and get a better pic of the tower in the coming days as it was pouring down rain when I raised it, (and even the upper guy wires hadn't been isolated or put onto the turnbuckles yet in this pic). 

Thanks for leaving the door open for me and hope I don't have too many questions for ya'll!

IMG_20210526_175724799.jpg

IMG_20210613_155636114.jpg

Greetings all! Radio noob here. 

Just got my callsign, but have been looking into GMRS radio for a couple months now for a good alternative communication source for my family. Hopefully I will be getting some HTs soon, and will set up a base station and antenna when I finish closing on my house! Hopefully I'll hear some of you SW Hoosiers on the airwaves!

Cheers!

Greetings all! Radio noob here. 
Just got my callsign, but have been looking into GMRS radio for a couple months now for a good alternative communication source for my family. Hopefully I will be getting some HTs soon, and will set up a base station and antenna when I finish closing on my house! Hopefully I'll hear some of you SW Hoosiers on the airwaves!

Cheers!

Welcome to myGMRS. Glad to have you here.

Enjoy!

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all, newbie here. I wanted to have a redundant communication means for when our family travels or does outdoors events. I’m normally in the middle Georgia area but do wander off occasionally. Hope to hear from you all and learn some things.
Mike
WRNB563

Welcome to myGMRS. Hope you enjoy your time here and learn things. As you knowledge increases, be certain to pass on.

Again, Welcome.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

• 1 month later...
New Licensee here from south west Ohio. Picked up this license for the family. It's back to the learning curve with another type of radio.
Hoping to find information that will help with all this crazy stuff.

Welcome to myGMRS Dan, glad to have you here.

Enjoy!

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Good day to all! Just received my license. Getting into this so I can have communication other than cell with my family. To quote Sgt. Schultz..... "I Know Nothing!". That said I hope to learn enough to be able to use the radio for handy communication as needed. I am not much of a talker and we keep to ourselves. 

Have a Baofeng that I have been listening to when the weather got bad. Now it is programmed with the GMRS frequencies. Then my wife had back surgery and I bought 2 pair of Midland GXT radios so she could reach me when I am around the neighborhood or at the convenience store just a few miles away. That's why I applied for a license. So we could use the higher power channels. 3 mile is about it over mixed terrain but that was enough. Now I am hooked. :)

So just wanted to say "Hello" and also say "Thank You" for this informative forum. Only have profile half done because it wants a ham call sign and I don't do ham. Tried to "Skip" but still can't get past that. Anyway I'll try to finish the profile in a few days. Maybe an old dog can learn a new trick! Thanks again for this forum!

WRMN602 Shipshewana, Indiana

Edited by Stone
Forgot to add call sign

Good day to all! Just received my license. Getting into this so I can have communication other than cell with my family. To quote Sgt. Schultz..... "I Know Nothing!". That said I hope to learn enough to be able to use the radio for handy communication as needed. I am not much of a talker and we keep to ourselves. 
 Have a Baofeng that I have been listening to when the weather got bad. Now it is programmed with the GMRS frequencies. Then my wife had back surgery and I bought 2 pair of Midland GXT radios so she could reach me when I am around the neighborhood or at the convenience store just a few miles away. That's why I applied for a license. So we could use the higher power channels. 3 mile is about it over mixed terrain but that was enough. Now I am hooked.
 So just wanted to say "Hello" and also say "Thank You" for this informative forum. Only have profile half done because it wants a ham call sign and I don't do ham. Tried to "Skip" but still can't get past that. Anyway I'll try to finish the profile in a few days. Maybe an old dog can learn a new trick! Thanks again for this forum!
WRMN602 Shipshewana, Indiana

Welcome to myGMRS Stone. Glad you are already finding the forum useful.

I was up near you just a few weeks ago.

Enjoy.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I am newbie to both this site and the world of GMRS. Having used CB for a period of time when living in England, I really have little or no experience with Ham radio in general or GMRS in particular. I've been spending a lot of time (being retired) watching videos on using Ham radio. I was/am looking for a solution that effectively gives me a relatively simple backup to a scenario where cellphones are out and it is an emergency. I want to have one radio for myself and another for my girlfriend/partner and make things as simple as possible for her to use so that she could connect with me if necessary.

GMRS looks like a better option for me than Ham radio although I do intend to pursue that as well but probably just for me. I have got my GMRS license and a Baofeng UV-5X which is legal to use (checked with FCC database).

I am looking forward to becoming a member of this community and picking up best practices, etiquette, etc., so that I feel comfortable before pressing the "call" button.

Is there the equivalent of a "Dummies guide to GMRS" that anyone would recommend to study to quickly get up to speed?

Thanks,

Dave WRNX245

2 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

WELCOME!

I answered your other post as well.

Get on your GMRS and talk and ask questions and listen to their answers

That's the "Dummies Guide to GMRS!"

Your profile does not say which region you are located?

Thanks for your help. I'm in San Diego

I went Road Warrioring to San Diego Thursday to help a new GMRS user: Stockjock, find some repeaters!

Near where Hiway 56 meets Interstate-15 (just west) the best hit was GMRS-1 (462.550) using either 159.8 or 162.2 CTCSS tones.

I tried to record their Morse Code identifier so I could decode it and trace the owner for permission, but it did not repeat for the long duration of my stay

See if you can hit it and let me know!