Welcome!

rdunajewski

Just got my license, ordered a Midland radio, will see what kind of trouble I can get into. Sitting here between Waco and Austin, kinda between repeaters, will have to wait & see. Can't say I understand all the posts here, but as I learn it should become clear. Coming from the CB side it's' channels but from the Ham side it's frequencies. It'll take some time for me to visualize them all. 

@WRPQ991 welcome! Glad you joined the site!

Don't worry about understanding the geek speak. It comes with a little time behind the mic and keyboard. 

I recommend using the search function, as many questions from new users have been answered in great detail. However, if you don't find specifics, don't be afraid to ask questions. Many of us are here to help new people as well as learn from each other.

Hello all. I received my GMRS license last week and three (3) Wouxun KG-935G radios this week. I was informed about this website by the person that sold me the radios. I am in Belleview, FL. I am new to radios and I have a lot to learn so please forgive me ahead of time if and when I ask dumb questions. I did a lot of reading and watching videos before I purchased anything but after all that effort I am still unsure about a lot of things. Time and effort on my part will help.

A little background, if you are interested. I spent 10.5 years in the Air Force working with fuels in CE and in RED HORSE. My wife retired from the Air Force after 25 years. I am an Engineer and design fire trucks, try not to hold the Engineer thing against me. Haha. Thanks and I'm happy to be here.

• 3 weeks later...

Someday. I envision a drone over a military battle field equipped with a (OR MORE) repeater(s) for all branches for instant coms.

Same for a large event with several hundred automobiles.

Welcome to the forum folks, I just a Jeeper wondering the world, one dirt road or trail, at a time.

Welcome to all you new GMRS users, from a retired u.s. navy veteran who lives in New Jersey. Hope you hear more then I do. 
here I live about 40 miles from New York City an I hear nothing. One month or so an I’ve spoken to nobody. Remember don’t ask a question an it’s your fault. Feel free to ask anything. 
Enjoy our site it’s really great. 
bob - WRPL668

Greetings all. 

Just obtained my GMRS license last week and looking for a good, solid mobile unit.  My whole reason for getting into GMRS is for off-roading .. with an emphasis on off-road recovery/search & rescue.  Here in AZ there are A LOT of trails that none the wiser end up stranded and need help getting out of.  I could never stand dealing with CB and always liked the fact you could take GMRS private.  Not to mention the ability to use repeaters to bounce signal and increase coverage.

Anybody have any recommendations on a good mobile unit?  My CBs have always been either Midland or Uniden.  I've read a bit on the Midland units and being able to setup as a mobile repeater for a group if/when we go out.  Not that that would apply if I was out searching for a lost/out of commission rig.

Glad to have found this site. Seems like a lot of good advice being given here.

Chris

I think I bricked my TIDRADIO TD-H5. I used the TIDRADIO bluetooth programer, and don't know what I did. Is this radio not compatible with the bluetooth programer? In the radio selection, it didn't offer the H5, but H6, so I tried that. The programer seem to connect, but the screen is frozen on frequency 666.50000 and the transmission light is flashing green. Is there anyway to reboot the system? When I try the read function, the key board flashes twice and then read function does nothing.

IMG_0144.thumb.jpg.093fff50cb741c7a7585b2b95be4e949.jpg

4 hours ago, WROZ563 said:

I think I bricked my TIDRADIO TD-H5...

Yes, amazingly the TID Bluetooth programmer does not support the TID TD-H5: I have complained to them about this more than once, as I have the clone Pofung P15UV.

You might try this, from the Pofung manual, as a menu shortcut to reset the radio:

Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 2.24.56 PM.png

Of course, if it is frozen; you might have to try this using the software and a programming cable.

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2022 at 10:25 PM, WRPQ991 said:

Just got my license, ordered a Midland radio, will see what kind of trouble I can get into. Sitting here between Waco and Austin, kinda between repeaters, will have to wait & see. Can't say I understand all the posts here, but as I learn it should become clear. Coming from the CB side it's' channels but from the Ham side it's frequencies. It'll take some time for me to visualize them all. 

A little late here, but welcome from Kempner, Texas (just west of Fort Hood)!

Warren, WRPC505 / WQ1C

• 3 weeks later...

New to GMRS, but I've worked in radio communications most of my life. Got hooked into this by a "certain guy" that makes great videos. I wanted to be able to communicate with friends who will never get a ham license, so here I is. 

Bought handhelds for everybody, probably end up putting (another) mobile in the car. The War Department is thrilled that we'll now have comms when we're out camping and hiking, so I've got that going for me, which is good. ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey.. Hi everyone.. new to this GMRS thing but not new to radio (commercial tech for many years). Just thought I'd pop in here and say hello to you all. I'm out here in Northern California.. the Sacramento area to be more percise.

Looking for locals and groups in the area to get involved with. hit me up.

Hope to see ya around. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all, new to GMRS (like as of yesterday) but not new to radio. Been a ham since 1996. Did not have any idea that GMRS was as big as it was with using repeaters, etc. Still trying to learn how to use the freqs and how to call people and access repeaters. Definitely not as defined as ham so any help would be appreciated.

22 hours ago, WRUF916 said:

Hello all, new to GMRS (like as of yesterday) but not new to radio. Been a ham since 1996. Did not have any idea that GMRS was as big as it was with using repeaters, etc. Still trying to learn how to use the freqs and how to call people and access repeaters. Definitely not as defined as ham so any help would be appreciated.

Welcome!

In some ways GMRS repeaters are more defined than ham repeaters.  GMRS repeaters should always receive in the 467MHz frequencies and transmit at 5MHz lower, where the offset for 2m repeaters can be positive or negative. Also, the frequencies are specifically defined as channels.  The repeater database here is very helpful.  Repeaterbook is too, but doesn’t have as many repeaters as the MyGMRS database. 

I hope you like it here.

17 minutes ago, medic447 said:

Hello all, new to grms and the site. Currently in north-ish Colorado. Started in grms as a way to communicate with family and friends when needed and as a hobby. May eventually get my ham someday. Thank for making this site and sharing knowledge.

Hoping not to offend, but it is gMRs -- general mobile radio service; not some twitter spelling of germs ?

As for amateur -- in my opinion the Technician license test is the most difficult, as it emphasizes FCC regulations, which portion of bands are available to the different license classes, etc.

General (once they dropped the Morse requirement) I studied for two weeks using the "big" ARRL text book (which gives explanations for the questions) rather than the skinny "memorize these questions and answers" book. Found an online practice exam site, and verified that I got a passing score on each General class attempt (questions are randomized).

Out of curiosity, I also tried around 5-10 Extra class practice exams, and was passing those about 75% of the time. WITHOUT STUDYING!

So, on the following Saturday (it was Thursday evening that I did the practice exams) I drove to a test session, and signed up for both General and Extra. I felt it was a no-loss situation -- if I didn't pass Extra at this session, I had two weeks to study before the next local test session. Passed Extra by one question.

1 hour ago, KAF6045 said:

Hoping not to offend, but it is gMRs -- general mobile radio service; not some twitter spelling of germs ?

As for amateur -- in my opinion the Technician license test is the most difficult, as it emphasizes FCC regulations, which portion of bands are available to the different license classes, etc.

General (once they dropped the Morse requirement) I studied for two weeks using the "big" ARRL text book (which gives explanations for the questions) rather than the skinny "memorize these questions and answers" book. Found an online practice exam site, and verified that I got a passing score on each General class attempt (questions are randomized).

Out of curiosity, I also tried around 5-10 Extra class practice exams, and was passing those about 75% of the time. WITHOUT STUDYING!

So, on the following Saturday (it was Thursday evening that I did the practice exams) I drove to a test session, and signed up for both General and Extra. I felt it was a no-loss situation -- if I didn't pass Extra at this session, I had two weeks to study before the next local test session. Passed Extra by one question.

Thanks! Sorry dyslexia kicked in during the typing apparently.

• 3 weeks later...