Welcome!

rdunajewski

Your are welcome... Sounds like you did it all right even getting 15 inch antenna.  Sorry link was bad, got it off google and did not double check... So try this.  https://www.buytwowayradios.com/nagoya-na-771g.html  as got it from the firm.  I did have a 771 and got the 771G for other KG-805G handheld as it tune for GMRS.  I could tell the difference (IMHO) and was able to return the 771 to Amazon thus have matching 771G.  

You just have to track it down as to the noise.  Take radio with you in the car... My grand daughter and I where board one day and heard folks on FRS channel 3 and find a crew laying fiber optics cable for Frontier.  They used the FRS to say pull more cable and ask mom to pick us up.  Remember this is western NC... Watch where you step.

Jack 

Good day WRJX754, thanks for the input. I do get static when it scans only on certain channels. I did purchase a better antenna (longer)  it is a NAGOYA NA-771  I believe it is around 15" long.

Thank you for the link I'll check it out. Tried the link I got a error 404  page not found.

have a great day!

Greetings, I just recently got my GMRS license (January 2021) and am looking forward to using and exploring GMRS. I currently have a Tait TM-8200 and am hailing from Placerville, CA.

Welcome to the forum Rutman. We hope you will learn a lot, and share it forward.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Hey Everyone - just found your site, looking forward to learning the ins and outs of GMRS. Will primarily be broadcasting from Long Island, NY.

Welcome mullo. There is lot to read here and a lot of active folks ready to help.

BTW, in GMRS there is no broadcasting. Instead it’s all about two communications.

Enjoy your stay and share your knowledge.

Regards,

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Welcome mullo. There is lot to read here and a lot of active folks ready to help.

BTW, in GMRS there is no broadcasting. Instead it’s all about two communications.

Enjoy your stay and share your knowledge.

Regards,

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

And just like that, I learned something.  So I picked up a set of Midland GXT handhelds in January and haven't had much luck in communicating with my wife as we drive around.  Its nice to get the weather off the NOAA channels.  Can someone direct to me to where on this site I can find the basic "how-to" more effectively use these other than the few hundred yards we've been successful at?  I live on Long Island, and LOS is not great due to all the homes, building and trees.  Would getting onto a repeater help?  I've sent out a few requests for local ones and was already denied as it was paid for by members and not open to the public.  All I need is a good nudge in the right direction.  Thanks in advance.

And just like that, I learned something. So I picked up a set of Midland GXT handhelds in January and haven't had much luck in communicating with my wife as we drive around. Its nice to get the weather off the NOAA channels. Can someone direct to me to where on this site I can find the basic "how-to" more effectively use these other than the few hundred yards we've been successful at? I live on Long Island, and LOS is not great due to all the homes, building and trees. Would getting onto a repeater help? I've sent out a few requests for local ones and was already denied as it was paid for by members and not open to the public. All I need is a good nudge in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Hello again.

First off, I own a number of the GXT1000 handhelds so plenty of real-world experience.

Depending upon where you are when you operate them your range will vary. In my case, near me, those radios are good for about .5 miles of reliable communication from my home down down the street. Every obstacle between the two antennas decreases their usable range, including the earth itself. This is true of EVERY GMRS radio. If you take them into outer space, or get on top of two mountains they may be good for the manufacturer’s absurd 36 mile marketing value. Take them on a boat and communicate boat to boat you may get 4-10 miles or more depending if you are inside or outside the boat and how high above the water you are.

The GXT radios are not repeater capable radios. You will need different radios for that. I use a Wouxun KG-805G radio for repeater access. Range is a little better than the midland HT to HT. But, when I use with a repeater with a super high antenna, and use use with external and higher placed antennas the range goes up dramatically.

Keep reading through the posts on this forum and you will learn a lot.

Again, Welcome.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM