• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 rockhound

rockhound

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:53 AM

Congratulations to cougar100101 who passed his amateur radio tech exam and then went for his general which I believe he also passed.  Enjoyed meeting and having lunch with him as I also passed my general upgrade that day now on to extra.  Good people, good friends are made here.  

• Logan5 likes this

#22 wrcb493

wrcb493

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:wrcb493

Posted 31 August 2019 - 03:20 PM

When a repeater has split dcs codes for tx and rx is where I run into trouble.  All my Midland radios which have Repeater functions will not work as they assume that one dcs code is being used on tx and rx.  So I cannot receive if I use the tone to key the transmitter.    Then, another radio is programmable.  I still cannot find how to input two codes for tx and rx.  I can input a tx code and then instruct that the rx be activated by carrier only.  I have had luck with that setting.   So I guess maybe Motorola has both tx and rx dcs codes as programmable.  I have Garmin handheld GMRS radios with repeater function, but only can use one dcs code.  I suppose I need to talk to the repeater owner and ask they be made the same.     

Am I off base here?  Missing some important concept, or is Midland that short on function it can't handle two dcs tones...?

Ken Galt

WRCB493

McMinnville, OR

#23 Jones

Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYM541
  • Ham Callsign:KB0HAW

Posted 31 August 2019 - 04:46 PM

Am I off base here?  Missing some important concept, or is Midland that short on function it can't handle two dcs tones...?

You are not off base, you are on home plate. Midland is indeed missing this split tone function, and that is the #1 complaint about them around this site.

#24 Radioguy7268

Radioguy7268

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern PA

Posted 31 August 2019 - 05:51 PM

When a repeater has split dcs codes for tx and rx is where I run into trouble. <snipped>  I suppose I need to talk to the repeater owner and ask they be made the same.     

Pretty good chance that the repeater owner knew about the issue that Midland users would have, and chose to purposefully split the codes anyway. It's considered to be a cheap and effective way to keep "lesser" radios off the system.

I'd upgrade to a commercial radio, and sell off the Midland.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)