New install for FTL600, Hoffman environmental enclosure with termoelectric cooling

Logan5

Question

I took FTL600 off line last week due to my move, only to find out that I will have out of town myGMRS guest in 2 weeks. Well guest from myGMRS are second priority only to Emergency communications. So I have a lot of work to do! I spent a few days planning my new setup with my final tower in mind. So I could set my budget. so on flea-bay I found a new Hoffman 24HX24WX16D steel outdoor enclosure and a 36watt thermoelectric cooler. the seller had 199 on the box and I offered 175.00 so I feel like I got a good deal. I am going to use a 40' black olive tree to secure a mast to, should put my UVS200 6 to 8' above the average tree line. I will have room for several 19" rack style repeaters in the future. I spent a few bucks but with my long term goals all is money well spent. I would also like to obtain some LDF4-50a for the feedline, but the LMR400 will do in the meantime. picture of progress to be posted as I go.   any and all suggestions encouraged.  

Guest spd641

You are using a dual band amateur antenna on GMRS,if so how does it preform? I would look for a mono-band 460-470 mhz antenna as soon as I could.I imagine you are getting some lose being it is a improper antenna setup.Be careful and watch you SWR readings.

I know for a fact the LDF4-50a will make a definate difference in range but I am using LMR400 myself with good results until I find hardline connectors for my LDF4.5-50a coax which is really hard to come by since it is 5/8 hardline.Good luck and keep us posted...William

Thank You William, I have considered a single band antenna and your advice is what I was looking for. yes the UVS200 does not have the best SWR. should I give up on gain antennas and go with a unity?  one e-bag seller has a "COMET CA-712EF 440-450 MHZ VERTICAL BASE/REPEATER ANTENNA" but it only goes up to 450. do you have any recommendations? when I install this antenna I wish never to have to pull it back down. lol.

speaking of antenna's I am having a problem finding a mobile antenna that covers both VHF (136-174) and UHF (420-520) I do not need the full UHF spread but seeing as I will primarily be using the GMRS UHF frequencies I would like something that covers them.  Most dual band antennas I have seen cover the VHF and then usually stop in UHF at about 450Mhrz.

suggestions - recommendations ?

Thanks

Dan - NJ

Guest spd641

Thank You William, I have considered a single band antenna and your advice is what I was looking for. yes the UVS200 does not have the best SWR. should I give up on gain antennas and go with a unity?  one e-bag seller has a "COMET CA-712EF 440-450 MHZ VERTICAL BASE/REPEATER ANTENNA" but it only goes up to 450. do you have any recommendations? when I install this antenna I wish never to have to pull it back down. lol.

Let me find the antenna I started out with it was lik 6.6 db gain 450-470 MHZ made perfect for GMRS used it for years and cost 1/2 of what the one you posted does.The one you are looking at is still in the amateur range and you will still have the SWR issues.

Guest spd641

Let me find the antenna I started out with it was lik 6.6 db gain 450-470 MHZ made perfect for GMRS used it for years and cost 1/3 of what the one you posted does.The one you are looking at is still in the amateur range and you will still have the SWR issues.I found the same opek antenna but $20.00 more than what I paid for it but that was 10 yr ago.

Logan,I can't find it from the supplier but that was years ago but here it is in another supplier http://www.americanradiosupply.com/opek-uh-2401-200w-uhf-vertical-base-station-ground-plane-antenna/ .I will also show you the comet which is designed for GMRS also http://www.americanradiosupply.com/comet-ca-712efc-460-470mhz-commercial-radio-base-repeater-antenna/

Guest spd641

speaking of antenna's I am having a problem finding a mobile antenna that covers both VHF (136-174) and UHF (420-520) I do not need the full UHF spread but seeing as I will primarily be using the GMRS UHF frequencies I would like something that covers them.  Most dual band antennas I have seen cover the VHF and then usually stop in UHF at about 450Mhrz.

suggestions - recommendations ?

Thanks

Dan - NJ

Dan, Here is as close as I can and have ever been able to find.

https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=16492&eventGroup=4&eventPage=1

Guest spd641

Thanks again William, That 9db Comet antenna is perfect. Pricey, but that is exatlly what I was looking for. I respect your recommendation as I have found you are usually correct. now to figure out how to pay for it. lol. 

To bad you wasn't in Alabama yesterday I was at the Huntsville Hamfest and saw 50ft of new ldf4-50a go for $20.00.Still kicking myself for not buying it and even picked it up and looked at it.

I know right. like I drive thru Alabama once a decade give or take. By truck everything is far from here, 8 to 9 hours just to get out of the state. Spent over an hour at the beach today, testing temporary repeater set up with the 10.2db yagi and enjoying 5 to 6 foot waves in 82+ deg. water temperatures. been less oppressive heat this summer. Again thanks William, you save me much effort.

So the new mobile for my home base came in Friday. After opening the box and looking at the unit I noticed they sent a KG-UV920P, not the KG-UV920P-A. I decided to give it a go anyway, so I downloaded the other software, set up the new config file, hooked it all up and turned it on... Only it didn't come on.

Time for troubleshooting: so I unplugged everything, plugged it all back in, turned on the AC converter and heard the familiar sound of the radio receiving power (the radio speaker makes a quiet "pop" when power is applied). I thought "Oh goodie, in my excitement I must have done something wrong". I used the radio for several hours and everything went well, powered it all down and went to bed.

The next day I came in and turned on my AC converter but noticed the radio didn't make the "pop" I am used to with my other unit and the same noise this unit made the night before. Hit the power, nothing. Again, powered it all down and tried it all again, but no dice. At this point I figured I had a dud considering my AC converter was making its usual quiet hum. Refusing to admit defeat, I took the radio out to my car and connected the lead to my radio. Low and behold I hear the "pop"! I took it inside, powered up the converter and nothing!

Finally I took out the good ol' volt meter and checked the power supply and there it is. VDC is showing 0.93 volts, DCA is showing 0.00. Wonderful, my Astron RS-20A bit the dust. I looked up the serial number to find this unit is 17yrs old (purchased off ebay). The previous owner has had it hooked up and running almost non-stop for the past 15 years.

I ordered a new Astron SS-30M from DXengineering over the weekend. Hopefully it will be here in a week or so. I am hoping this resolves my issues.

The box will not indicate the difference. When you power up the unit it will display the model and the label on the unit should reflect the model.

The difference is the A variant is 2.5k step (narrowbanding) compliant and has a bit newer firmware. There are a couple extra features on the A variant, as well as being officially licensed by the FCC for both part 90 and I believe 95.

Guest spd641

The box will not indicate the difference. When you power up the unit it will display the model and the label on the unit should reflect the model.

The difference is the A variant is 2.5k step (narrowbanding) compliant and has a bit newer firmware. There are a couple extra features on the A variant, as well as being officially licensed by the FCC for both part 90 and I believe 95.

No part 95 on the mobiles yet....William

An additional question, are their specific ones that can operate 136-174 Mhz and 420-512 Mhz or can all of the KG-UV920P-A operate on those frequencies?

The box label says 136-174 & 420-470Mhz.   The dealer says disregard the label the radio works 136-174 & 420-520 Mhz

Thanks for any information you can share

well so much for my new Comet antenna, I just got home and found this e-mail in my box.  

Thank your for your interest in our items.

However, the CA-712EFC is currently out of stock and the supplier does 
not have a date at this time as to when they will be available. I have 
refunded the 169.95 back to your account.

Super bummed.

Guest spd641

Just ordered from Hamradio.com aka Ham radio outlet. same price and free shipping. 

Same antenna? You better look it is not in stock at HRO either I just looked and it says all the stores pending shipment.

this is where the heatsink will connect to the thermoelectric cooler thru the bottom of the box. I will be using 1" foil film backed foam insulation and aluminium foil tape for vapor barrier. I have two options for the cooler. the big one will need a thermostat and the smaller cooler may have to run 24X7 to maintain 77deg. F. The door has a nice formed rubber seal and you can hear and feel the quality of the manufacture. It weighs about 50lbs nice and solid

post-20-0-43071400-1376946027_thumb.jpg

Not sure what went wrong, but the peltier cooler did not work, however at this point the Uniden repeater has operated in 95deg. temperatures for over 3 days. so I will devise a cooling fan in the mean time. by my calculations this cooling plan may draw much more power than is practical or the equipment I am using is old and malfunctioning. My Motorola repeater is much more tolerant to high temps, so I will save this active cooling idea until a future date. at present my concerns are getting a 117V outlet near my box on a property that is under complete renovation. I also do not want to be the source of a stop work order. Oh well, what to do.