URGENT! Kidde Recalls 37 Million Fire Extinguishers

n4gix

I saw this posted yesterday, and think it is urgent enough to be a sticky here!

http://wildfiretoday.com/2017/11/02/37-million-fire-extinguishers-may-not-work-kidde-issues-recall/

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/kidde-recalls-fire-extinguishers-with-plastic-handles-due-to-failure-to-discharge-and#

Kidde recalls 37 million fire extinguishers, so you might want to check yours. You don't want to discover your fire extinguishers are among those that fail during a fire!

Consumer Contact:

Kidde toll-free at 855-271-0773 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. ET Saturday and Sunday, or online at www.kidde.com and click on “Product Safety Recall” for more information.

Wow!  Thanks for the heads-up.

5 of the 8 fire extinguishers in my home and shop must be replaced.  My other 3 are professional grade commercial units.  No wonder when I had them last serviced, the technician was joking in a fake-Italian accent; "you gotta be kidde me!"

They were cheap, and I thought it would be great to have them around as extra safety, but hey, if they might or might not work, then it's just another potential hazard.

Wow!  Thanks for the heads-up.

5 of the 8 fire extinguishers in my home and shop must be replaced.  My other 3 are professional grade commercial units.  No wonder when I had them last serviced, the technician was joking in a fake-Italian accent; "you gotta be kidde me!"

They were cheap, and I thought it would be great to have them around as extra safety, but hey, if they might or might not work, then it's just another potential hazard.

Call Kidde and they will replace those 5 defective extinguishers at no charge. They will also send a return label for free return shipping of the 5 units.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

THANKS!! 

I do cursory inspections of our extinguishers every few months or so.   Mostly consisting of checking for any

cylinder corrosion or damage / checking the gauge / ensuring "safety" pin is still in place to prevent accidental discharge /

and that the "pin" is ONLY secured with a BREAK-FREE style plastic "wire tie" and nothing difficult to remove in the event

it is needed expediently ("someone" had replaced a missing pin w/a BOLT & NUT on an extinguisher in my family's retail

business years back for some unknown reason.  discovered prior to any emergency, but taught me not to overlook anything)              

Most of our devices are "commercial" (off-topic: but I still hang onto a few  "environmentally evil"  large Halon units, banished from

for a few decades now.. that i keep immaculate & securely mounted near electronics that I treasure- LOL - but actually had the contents

transferred to new extinguisher "bodies" a few years after they should been hydrostatically tested for structural integrity.  however,

that was at least a decade ago, so I keep a dry-chem ABC extinguisher next to each one of these "just in case")

So I was pretty surprised to discover the following--

I just checked and found that 14 out of 40+ we have in the house / vehicles / folks homes were on "the list".   

Bottom line:  NOTHING material is worth your life.  If you are unable to knock down a fire in a few seconds, 

LEAVE ASAP!

Good wake up call & thanks again for the "heads up"..