MURS pre programmed equipment

The puxing px-777 VHF is part 90 certified but unknown if its part 95 certified yet. However when I went to pa last year I remember meeting a neighborhood watch group using these radios for their operations. Since the town was just about a mile radius the radios were tx/rx fine just on two watts.

The Baofeng UV5R types are Part 90 accepted.  They will power down to 2 watts and will cover both UHF and VHF (MURS).  Easy to program with Baofeng downloaded software and cheap cable.  They will cover the GMRS bands as well.   Good radios for the $50 price tag.  Extra batteries are $15.   Something to look at. 

Thanks to all who have contributed thus far.  While MURS is a bit congested in places, it may be a good alternative to GMRS simplex once in awhile where UHF RF just doesn't travel as far.  Using Motorola and Kenwood equipment, our Chaplain Responder group can get as much range back to our emergency field dispatch center on 2 watts as the GMRS portables do using 4 watts.  We monitor 154.570 wideband as well as 462.600 while on responses into natural disaster areas. We also have a mobile repeater on 462.600/467.600 and can hear any non-repeater capable simplex portables if necessary - if they are using the repeater output side CTCSS.

Keep the suggestions coming - very much appreciated...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest spd641

Midland mobile 70-630 and Maxon SM4450 along with Maxon handhelds SP-2850 just to name a few and there is Ritron who's model numbers I am not familiar with along with Kenwood TK-805d mobiles,also note Ritron did make a UHF repeater which is part 95 certified as are the rest of the radios mentioned above.....William

Guest spd641

I just noticed what I did was comment on UHF part 95 radios,however Ritron has made it a point to have part 95 radios for both services GMRS/MURS and I will check on the Midland and Maxon for MURS,if Maxon has the Part 95 MURS it should be the SP-2250 and SL70.along with the Ritron portables.

I use the Ritron SLX  Uhf's that are part 95 and 90 accepted.  Good radios but not cheap.   The are new models, one specifically for MURS but cost is about $199, that is why I did not mention it earlier.  The Jobcom RTX-450's can be had on Ebay, 11 Channel 4 Watt UHF (some VHF out there as well) commercial radios that are also 90 and 95 type accepted.   Programming is easy but the software is not cheap.   I have the software for all the models above if anyone needed radios programmed. 

Midland mobile 70-630 and Maxon SM4450 along with Maxon handhelds SP-2850 just to name a few and there is Ritron who's model numbers I am not familiar with along with Kenwood TK-805d mobiles,also note Ritron did make a UHF repeater which is part 95 certified as are the rest of the radios mentioned above.....William

The Ritron RRX-450/460 are Part 95 Accepted.  My RRX-450 is at Ritron now getting a makeover for my GMRS Repeater setup.   I have the 30 Watt model, the standard is 8 Watt but full duty cycle at that number. 

Thanks to everyone for the great info thus far.  I know that many GMRS, FRS and Amateur operators do not use MURS at all because of congestion from restraunts and stores, but in an emergency, it is a good alternative to non-functioning cell phones if towers are down ( literally - as we have encountered after hurricanes and tornadoes).  Our temporary mobile disaster dispatch vehicle always monitors MURS "570" just in case.

Thanks again...

Guest spd641

I looked trying to find which radios are part 95 but have not came across the FCC site to check them.I am sure this discussion will continue and it looks as we have already found several to suit the needs of the MURS users further input would be appreciated...William

Thanks, Robert - Nice to see you check in here at the Forum.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The resaon that I started this thread in the first place was to try to provide a brand and model database that members can refer to in the event of a regional disaster.  MURS capable equipment may be an alternative to other radio services early in an emergency because equipment seems to be available in quantity and can be programmed in the field to match responder CTCSS for coordination.  Of course, there are other uses for MURS equipment, but since almost everyone using this forum does assist with radio communications in emergencies, MURS radios can be a big help.  Just one example would be Red Cross Emergency Response Vehicle (ERV) to Law Enforcement mobile command post coordination very early in a disaster scenario before other radio response members can get their more permanent equipment set up.

Thanks again for all the usefull information thus far and if anyone else has additional models to add to the list, please feel free to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not use MURS. but I found my self needy to read this due to lack of activity here on this site. We need new members and more active members. is there anyway to get device wholesalers or merchants to include resource information with their new radios. a notation if you plan to use this for GMRS check out these sites, ie: myGMRS.com or if you plan to use it for HAM, check out these links. My guess is that more than 90% of the people that buy and use these radios don't get licensed to begin with. I am getting my nephew into radio`and I hope he passes his exam for his HAM. I like GMRS for contacting family and friends who do not have or won't get their HAM license. in any event, let's reach out in some way to welcome new GMRS users and members on this site. I am also on RR and I notice other members from here there. but myGMRS.com has a place as it serves a particular need. 

Perhaps Rich D.  can delve into potential marketing or adverstising of the myGMRS.com domain and forum - we'll hope that he stops by here in the next few days and sees your post.

You're right - As of today, May 13, the form has 54 registered members - nearly all have not posted but most do read all active topics.

We invite everyone to jump in and participate and if anyone has questions about procedures or equipment, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a couple of Dakota Alert base station radios. One is currently at my brother-in-law's place, across the cove about 2 miles from here. The radios put out a full 2 watts per my meter. I can cover our little town pretty well with an outside j-pole antenna.

Since I do a lot of digital stuff on the ham bands, an appealing feature of MURS is that you can do digital modes. I just audio couple between the PC and radio's speakers & microphones. If I read the rules correctly, you can also encrypt. The telemetry units that use MURS (e.g. http://www.raveon.com/rv_m3_m.html) used encrypted digital transmissions.

In our area, there is almost no MURS traffic (and not a whole lot more GMRS).

Steve

• 1 month later...

I can vouch for the Baofeng UV5r model radios.  I have three, up and running.  Price has come down alot (<$45 + FS&H on amazon w/xtra battery, charger, and earpiece/mic) make these almost disposable!

Use CHIRP software...and Baofeng USB cable for PC, makes life infinitely easier.  I programmed two radios last night in less than 5 mins.

I still have a couple of those MURS only 5 channel Columbia Telecommunications, Inc HT's. A friend of mine bought out a whole bunch of 'em and I bought a couple of those HT's off from him for $20.00 each. They look like an FRS HT, but only have the 5 MURS channel and RX the weather channels. They also come with HI / LO power, CTCSS, the useless annoying CALL button, monitor button, backlit display, VOX, Lock button, SP/MIC jack, and take either four alkalines or NiMH batteries. One fixable flaw, the condenser mic sounds like crap under the plastic case. A lot of those new Chinese HT's suffer from that too and thier TX audio sounds like crap. Just pull the HT apart, pop out the mic from its round housing, and drill a 1/8" hole, and slap 'er back together. An amazing sound difference.