Midland MXT400

PB92

• 1 month later...

If your audio quality is low, try turning the compander on. It may not make a difference on your radio, but then again no 2 radios are alike, even the same models.

AFAIK, companders only work with other compatible companders. If the person is communicating with another MXT or radio with a compatible compander then they are golden. Otherwise, not so much.

• 4 months later...

I just got an MXT400 but I see what is possibly a very disappointing "feature". It looks to me like channels 15-22 are ALL either set to "repeater mode" or ALL are set to simplex mode with no option to set ONE channel to repeater mode and leave the rest on simplex. Am I doing something wrong or is this radio as lame as I think it is when it comes to repeater options?

From my experience, when we first got the MXT400's, they only operated on simplex until you change the menu to allow repeater channels. This just adds additional duplicate channels, so that you have both simplex and repeater channels available. After doing this, as you rotate (or scan) through the channels, it displays the lower power channels 1 - 7, then the simplex channels 15 - 22, and then the repeater channels 15 - 22. Thus, if you transmit on a simplex channel, both rx and tx are on the same frequency, but if you transmit on a repeater channel, the required 5 MHz transmit offset is preset.

It is different than what I have used for ham radio where a given frequency can be either simplex or a plus or a minus offset, or even a non standard offset. With GMRS since there is only the required 5 MHz plus offset and I suspect they did this to make it simpler for non technical users.

If I am scanning, I will hear repeater outputs on either the simplex or repeater channels (15 - 22) assuming I have the correct tone (PL or DPL) set or no tone.  If I then wish to stop scanning and use a repeater, I have to remember to use the repeater channels which display an rP on the lower left of the screen.

The one shortcoming is that if you set a tone, it works for both TX and RX. I have never come across this in ham radio, but it seems that some GMRS repeater owners use different tones for input and output. If you really want to use a given repeater, the work around is to open the squelch for receive and ignore the repeater output tone, but, of course transmitting the access tone to the repeater. This means that if you are scanning, you will not hear the repeater if you have the tone set. If you do not have a tone set, you would have to select the tone before transmitting in order to access the repeater. This is a bit awkward but could be done.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm rocking the midland micromobile mxt105 - simplex only, but I'm quite fond of it.  I was thinking about rolling an all-Midland repeater, but then I remembered that they don't have anything cheap (actually, they don't have anything AT ALL) that can listen on the repeater inputs.

Tangent:  why does the mxt400 have a data terminal on the front panel, which the manual says isn't used?

Ian, Commsprepper tried unsuccessfully to make a repeater from the Midland Micromobiles https://youtu.be/lwpe_0-QeLA

*** These are NOT type accepted. This is for informational purposes ONLY. ***

AFAIK,the LT-590 UHF Mobile Radio is the basis of the Midland MXT400 MicroMobile. http://luiton.com/product/lt-590-uhf-mobile-radio/

LT-590 manual http://luiton.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/LT-590-user-manual.compressed.pdf

Tangent:  why does the mxt400 have a data terminal on the front panel, which the manual says isn't used?

On the Luiton LT-590, according the the manual that is "Data Terminal - reading/writing, cloning and theft alarm functions." i.e. It's the programming port... on the LT-590 at least. wink.png

If you haven't figured it out yet, that Midland price tag is for a locked down firmware and FCC certification. In other words, less radio and an FCC sticker for more money. biggrin.png

On the Luiton LT-590, according the the manual that is "Data Terminal - reading/writing, cloning and theft alarm functions." i.e. It's the programming port... on the LT-590 at least. wink.png

If you haven't figured it out yet, that Midland price tag is for a locked down firmware and FCC certification. In other words, less radio and an FCC sticker for more money. biggrin.png

http://www.dovesandserpents.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/facepalm.jpg

Edit:  Holy crap, the Midland is TWICE THE PRICE!!!  D:

Edit:  I'm morbidly curious to see if the LT-590 programming software would work on the Midland…

Ian, Commsprepper tried unsuccessfully to make a repeater from the Midland Micromobiles https://youtu.be/lwpe_0-QeLA*** These are NOT type accepted. This is for informational purposes ONLY. ***AFAIK,the LT-590 UHF Mobile Radio is the basis of the Midland MXT400 MicroMobile. http://luiton.com/product/lt-590-uhf-mobile-radio/LT-590 manual http://luiton.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/LT-590-user-manual.compressed.pdf

IF the LT-590 is just a limited version of the MXT400, and, one wanted to build a part-95 acceptable repeater out of “MXT400”s, then one could use the LT-590 as the receiver. I am not saying the receiver would, or would not, be selective or sensitive enough. But, if the MXT400 was de facto “good enough,” then the LT-590 should be too.

IF the LT-590 is just a limited version of the MXT400, and, one wanted to build a part-95 acceptable repeater out of “MXT400”s, then one could use the LT-590 as the receiver. I am not saying the receiver would, or would not, be selective or sensitive enough. But, if the MXT400 was de facto “good enough,” then the LT-590 should be too.

Holy smokes, I didn't even think of that! I'm going to pass that along to Commsprepper. Thanks!

Edit:  I'm morbidly curious to see if the LT-590 programming software would work on the Midland…

I wouldn't hold my breath but it is worth a shot. The LT-590 is not on the list for Chirp so you would have to try the Luiton software. I wish I had an MXT400 here to see... Again, highly unlikely though.

I wouldn't hold my breath but it is worth a shot. The LT-590 is not on the list for Chirp so you would have to try the Luiton software. I wish I had an MXT400 here to see... Again, highly unlikely though.

Keep in mind that the LT-590 UHF is also the same thing as the older TYT TH9000 UHF, which is on the Chirp list.

Good info. Do you know if the LT-590 is close enough to program as a TH9000 in Chirp?

I do not know, and I do not own an LT-590, (nor a TH9000) but I would certainly be interested in finding out.  The radios look identical inside and out.  There are also VHF versions of each.  The TYT units have been discontinued, but I really think they live on under this Luiton brand name.

They must come from the same factory... just look at the difference in the quad-band units the TYT TH-9800 and the Luiton LT-9900 - same thing.

Does anyone here own an LT-590? If so, try using Chirp to read it as if it were a TYT 9000, and see if it works.  Inquiring minds want to know.  Bigger question, does anyone want to blow $25-30 on a cable for an LT-590 and try it on a Midland 400?  RT systems says the same "USB-29A" cable works on both the TYT and the Luiton, so... maybe on the Midlands?   Of course, if you can, and do re-program the Midlands, they are no longer type accepted.

Well, well, well,...

Would anyone care to take a look at the front panels of the Pofung/Baofeng BF-9500, or the Anytone AT-588????

Yeah, that happens a lot with China made radios. A bit of caution is in order as external looks aren't a sure-fire way to determine sameness. There can often be those pesky firmware and other differences. In this case, my guess is that they are very strongly related radios. If I had to choose between any of them, I would take the Anytone; barring any established reasons to the contrary.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any update here?... has anyone been able to try programming the MXT400 or LT-590 (with Chirp's TYT9000 settings or otherwise)?  I'm very interested in seeing if the MXT400 might be programmable, since I need a powerful Part 95 certified radio but its limitation that the CTCSS/DCS (PL) tone is the same for TX & RX is a deal breaker for me, as our local repeater has different TX & RX tones. 

• 1 year later...

I have the MXT115, anyone having trouble talking to repeaters on it???  I have the 6DB gain antenna on it and here in the flat desert of AZ I get   6-8 miles from a handheld to the 115 is that ok??  I'm new to the GRMS world

Keith

WRAW599

Keith,

Same here.  I’m in MI and there is a repeater on the way to our cottage.  When I transmit I can hear the repeater “key up” but I never hear any audio.  MXT115 w/ a 6db antenna.  I’ve researched the internet but can’t find any information about it.  My layman’s theory is that it has to do with the MXT radios being narrowband..

Sean

WRCY432