Mini Walkie Talkies

SteveH

In the past, I was all over that site due to the internal radio photos. Unfortunately, my antivirus has been flagging the site as infected with URL:MAL for quite a while so I haven't been there in some time. Thanks both of you for the information. I always suspected the radio was a little dirty due to how my base radio sometimes reacted on UHF when these Tx; even 3 floors away. I wasn't totally sure that it wasn't a problem with my base selectivity. Now, it looks like these radios are more likely than not the culprit.

I am on a Mac, (current everything) and get no virus/malware warnings with Safari, Chrome or Firefox. Maybe it is safe for you to try again.

I don't believe there is an actual threat and I have other burner systems I can check it with. It's just been throwing that error for a long time now on that site. AFAIK, they haven't changed the content for years and I might even have it backed up on a hard drive or other media. As it stands now, I have to do an exception for my antivirus if I want to view it and I don't think there is any new content to make the risk worthwhile for me. I was pointing out that AV message in case others encounter it as well. It's all good.

• 4 weeks later...

Nevermind, found it: 2AAR8RETEVISRT22. Indeed, certified for FRS with 1W. Only narrow-band? Repeater-capable?

Sorry, forgot to come back. The Amazon listing advertises them as 2W. From the settings that come out in CHIRP when you download its settings, it appears to be using wideband and 2w on all of the channels (all of which are the 2w FRS/GMRS shared channels under the latest regs). Otherwise, the programming software doesn't appear to be locked down, but I haven't tried setting any channels that aren't in GMRS yet, either. I've had no problems using repeaters, except for the fact you have to program them first for each one, which is a bit of a drag.

...you have to program them first for each one, which is a bit of a drag.

It is. However, the other option is for the vendor to decide how the channels should be organized (like the BTECH GMRS-V1). Personally, I'd rather have the freedom to decide. This can be important when the radios are used as part of some organization or service where you may want to monitor non-GFMRS services, and/or have the repeater channel(s) in specific memory locations, etc.

YMMV

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that freedom to customize is a huge plus; the actual doing, not so much. I'll take the extra work over locked down radios anytime. I've always been a big commercial Motorola fan but their programming hoops, etc always drive me away. I end up going non-/\/\ for less hassle and more air time.