MXT115 ewbie

JerBear

I’m a recently mented GMRS user. I’m using a MXT115 and been trying to communicate with neighbor using a Baofeng HT he programmed. I’m able to reach him using CH 1-7 but can only RX on CH 15-22. What am I doing wrong?

I’m using this set up to learn before I go for my ham license

I'm not necessarily knocking the UV-5R, I own 3 of them myself.  I'm just saying if one operator is running a non-programmable GMRS radio, and the other operator has a relatively complicated radio that he programmed himself for frequency, tone, offset, N/W bandwidth, power level, etc,...

Well, which one do you suppose is the problem?  Operator error is the root of many failures, and it is hard to make an error if you set your MTX115 to channel 2. 

The only issues I can see with an MTX that would confuse anyone may be with "Private Code", "Security Mode", "Silent Scream", or whatever brand name they are using for CTCSS/DCS.  When in doubt, shut that off.  The other issue would be repeater mode on either radio.

As for your neighbor being in repeater mode; if he can hear you on say...17, but you can't hear him on 17, then that is highly likely the case. If you can hear him, but he can't hear you, then maybe your MTX is in repeater mode.  (Is there a little "R" in the channel display somewhere on your MTX that only shows up on the high channels? Note that there IS a difference between channel 20 and channel 20R.  etc.)