• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon coast
  • GMRS Callsign:WRBN525
  • Ham Callsign:KN7FM

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:54 PM

Greetings all!

Looking for input!

I have been a ham since 70's and picked up the old 2nd class commercial as well.

Worked in comm from 1986 until retirement and have my own radio bench.

Relocated to the Oregon coast and hope to set up a repeater as there seems to be few out here.

Plan to use the traveler tone on 600 with a Motorola MSF5000 repeater provisioned with DC battery back up.

Temporary location will be my home for testing and burn in covering a small area of Bandon Or.

Looking for a site at this point that will not price me out of the vault but still cover the Bandon vicinity.

Not very familiar with GMRS but very familiar with large systems (utility size).

Anyone having some good suggestions for repeater or simplex on Oregon coast I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance...

;

• berkinet likes this

#22 Logan5

Logan5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale Florida
  • GMRS Callsign:WQQT630
  • Ham Callsign:KK4PRC

Posted 14 November 2018 - 12:03 PM

Got my radios, cables, etc to put my base and mobile in operation about a month ago, but haven't been able to finish because its been raining here about every 4 days -- imagine that in West Texas.  I had 4" yesterday and its just been too muddy to get my antenna mast set.  My mast will be about 35 ft. Starting with a simple J-pole antenna just to see how it does, but one thing I noticed is that the LMR400 cable is pretty stiff.  Would a short pigtail from the main cable to the radio that is more flexible be reasonable - if so, what cable would be best.

lol, yes it is. and yes you can, keep in mind that an inline connection is better than a barrel connection, so when you chose your more flexible segment of coax. chose your connectors accordingly M to F not M to M requiring a female barrel connector. M to F is a single connection, wile a M to M with a barrel is two connections, and greater loss.

• berkinet likes this

#23 Quarry Creek

Quarry Creek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationBallinger Texas
  • GMRS Callsign:WRBV676
  • Ham Callsign:KG5CTT

Posted 15 December 2018 - 01:56 PM

Logan5 - thanks for the reply - haven't been able to get back on my project full time yet.  Started calving right after my last post and have been busy with that.  Its continued raining here which has become frustrating.  Ive had nearly 38 inches this year - and half of that since October.  Tried digging my holes for my antenna mast at the house and at 2 feet, it starts filling with water.  Will have to let it dry a bit more.  I want to get at least 4 ft. deep.  

In the meantime, I have bought a Kenwood 880H (version 2) radio to allow me to program.  If I like it, I may get another one.  From looking at other posts I would need the 49D software.  Any idea where to get it?

#24 RCM

RCM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCM718
  • Ham Callsign:KU4FL

Posted 15 December 2018 - 02:03 PM

Logan5 - thanks for the reply - haven't been able to get back on my project full time yet.  Started calving right after my last post and have been busy with that.  Its continued raining here which has become frustrating.  Ive had nearly 38 inches this year - and half of that since October.  Tried digging my holes for my antenna mast at the house and at 2 feet, it starts filling with water.  Will have to let it dry a bit more.  I want to get at least 4 ft. deep.  

In the meantime, I have bought a Kenwood 880H (version 2) radio to allow me to program.  If I like it, I may get another one.  From looking at other posts I would need the 49D software.  Any idea where to get it?

http://www.k9rod.net/Commercial.html

#25 Quarry Creek

Quarry Creek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationBallinger Texas
  • GMRS Callsign:WRBV676
  • Ham Callsign:KG5CTT

Posted 15 December 2018 - 08:05 PM

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic