I PUSHED THE MIC BUTTON BIG TIME !

Fire18472

Well I did done do it....Pulled out all my old gear and fired it back up ...My old Regency Land Mobile repeater feeding into my TX-RX vari-notch duplexer a old hand me down hunk of coax (sorry not sure of the type) and into a one of those antenna kits that you can use a mobile antenna for a base like you see on construction sites, but I have a 50' piece or LMR sitting here just waiting for someones fingers to wrap around it and install it.

.I took an inventory of the stuff I have and it shocked me...Ritron RPM 450 mobiles looks like 6 of them not sure what shape there in, a couple of duplexers, Zetron 37 repeaterman box , a ZR 310 community panel, a 3 element YAGI antenna, 3 base antenna's,one is new I always wanted to try out one of  Michael, KB9VBR, J pole antenna for GMRS,  (I am using one of his other J pole antenna for my scanner for which it's got to be 5 years maybe older which it works great) the other one is Hustler G6-460, and one other that's around 6dB I think it's a maxrad ...but what ever.. still need moral support help trying to fasten the LMR to the mast I have so it won't wear thru the cover on the LMR while it's against the mast. Suggestions people ?

Don WRBN575

• 1 month later...

What kind of mast? Are you talking about a fixed location for a repeater/base, or a push-up  type mast meant to be "portable"?

Either way - LMR outer insulation is pretty rugged and I have used anything from LMR400 up to 3" Heliax at sites. The way to secure most of it at towers is with "butterfly clips" which clamp the coax down to a tower leg. But in a small-use case... using black "UV resistant" heavy duty zip ties will work just fine.

Your issue with possible wear of the LMR insulation won't come from a fastener - it will come from if you DON'T fasten it down and let it rub against anything and everything in the wind. I have seen towers hit by bad storms have bad coax or even waveguide from rubbing against each other for weeks or months until caught.