Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWU626
  • Ham Callsign:N4GIX

Posted 06 September 2018 - 01:29 PM

For which radio?

It is an XPR7550 I've been using for the past few years. I wanted to add some corrections for the statewide Hoosier DMR network, as well as some new GMRS repeaters I regularly use.

#42 SteveC7010

SteveC7010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationNorthville, NY in the southern Adirondacks!
  • GMRS Callsign:WQPG808
  • Ham Callsign:KD2IAT

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:26 PM

+1 for Kenwood radios - the

It's not hard to find - I'm pretty sure Motorola will sell it to you. There are quite a few RadioReference forum threads discussing the legal channels to procuring Motorola software.

The M1225 was EOL over ten years ago. The software has been available for free on MOL since about 2010.

Programming cables are readily and inexpensively available. It is the same cable used for Radius, Maxtrac, GM300, Pro Series and more.

The M1225 has the 16 pin accessory connector allowing for all kinds of specialty uses.

It also can use a variety of Motorola mics, speakers, and other accessories.

As pointed out previously, it is fully Part 95 type accepted.

Rochester-Monroe County E911 1976 to 2003 - Dispatcher II #7010
Northampton Ambulance - Unit 2829

Tactical Call Sign: Spider Man

#43 WRAA720

WRAA720

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAA720
  • Ham Callsign:K7MFC

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:36 PM

Also worth noting is that with Motorola you need not only the software, but sometimes the proprietary Radio Interface Box hardware too - especially with the older radios.  There's all sorts of cheap Chinese "RIB-less" cables and other documentation about programming Motorola radios, but Motorola doesn't really care about the amateur/hobbyist/GMRS user, and the software interfaces have virtually no other programming options besides the /V\ software.  Unless you buy a pre-programmed Motorola radio and don't care to make any modification to it in the future, a Motorola radio is going to cost you $$$. I have a Motorola CDM1250 programmed for GMRS - it's a great radio, but I needed a 3rd party to do the programming for me, and I don't have any ability to tweak any settings for the radio to best fit my needs.  This is why I have moved pretty much to Kenwood radios for GMRS and amateur use.  Lower price point and easier to program as a hobbyist.

Matt Callahan | WRAA720 | K7MFC

WRAA720.com | Arizona GMRS Repeater Club

#44 SteveC7010

SteveC7010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationNorthville, NY in the southern Adirondacks!
  • GMRS Callsign:WQPG808
  • Ham Callsign:KD2IAT

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:20 PM

Also worth noting is that with Motorola you need not only the software, but sometimes the proprietary Radio Interface Box hardware too - especially with the older radios. There's all sorts of cheap Chinese "RIB-less" cables and other documentation about programming Motorola radios, but Motorola doesn't really care about the amateur/hobbyist/GMRS user, and the software interfaces have virtually no other programming options besides the /V\ software. Unless you buy a pre-programmed Motorola radio and don't care to make any modification to it in the future, a Motorola radio is going to cost you $$$. I have a Motorola CDM1250 programmed for GMRS - it's a great radio, but I needed a 3rd party to do the programming for me, and I don't have any ability to tweak any settings for the radio to best fit my needs. This is why I have moved pretty much to Kenwood radios for GMRS and amateur use. Lower price point and easier to program as a hobbyist.

RIBs are old technology. The M1225 and newer radios all have ribless cables available in both USB and serial versions.

I hold legit software for the Professional, Commercial, 1225, and GM300 series of radios. They are easy to program, all without RIBs.

I also have Icom, Kenwood, and Vertex radios in our inventory. They are no more or less difficult to program the the Motorola's.
  • Hans likes this

Rochester-Monroe County E911 1976 to 2003 - Dispatcher II #7010
Northampton Ambulance - Unit 2829

Tactical Call Sign: Spider Man

#45 Hans

Hans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationTrapped in Yankee territory
  • GMRS Callsign:WQXE920
  • Ham Callsign:N8VHF

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:22 PM

I got my M1225 programming cable from BlueMax49ers on eBay. His amateur call sign is KJ6ZWL. He sends a card in the packaging with his information. There was a compatibility problem with the USB chip and my usage. He diagnosed the issue immediately and sent me a replacement cable out that same day. For difficult programming cables, this is the person I send everyone to now. He hasn't let any of them down yet. :)

The programming cable I'm using for the M1225 radios is a simple USB type; no complicated RIB.

• Jones, berkinet and WRAA720 like this

#46 WRAA720

WRAA720

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAA720
  • Ham Callsign:K7MFC

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:26 PM

Thanks Hans - I do like Motorola equipment and I will keep this seller in mind!

• Hans likes this

Matt Callahan | WRAA720 | K7MFC

WRAA720.com | Arizona GMRS Repeater Club

#47 berkinet

berkinet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYR510
  • Ham Callsign:WB6TAE

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:36 AM

Since this discussion of used GMRS equipment is a topic drift from the original antenna topic of this thread. I have created a new topic to continue the equipment discussion... if there is interest.

• Jones and WRAA720 like this

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

-- Marcus Aurelius

#48 jharv

jharv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ
  • GMRS Callsign:WRBZ671

Posted 09 September 2018 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for all the recommendations on different radios, I do appreciate it. I've been kinda wondering which are better than others and which may have some features that mine just isn't capable of. I may eventually replace the radio, but I'm in no rush - for my specific case of wanting something small in the jeep with limited space, I like the idea of the controls on the mic... the lack of "no PL on RX" is an issue, but not too big of an issue just yet. Since I don't [yet] have access to any local repeaters it's not a big issue... hopefully one day I can find some repeaters, then I could see it being an issue, and then may swap out the radio. So I'll take my time and research the radios now, so if/when the time comes I'll have a better idea of what I'm looking for. For a long time I was thinking to move away from CB to GMRS or HAM, but didn't really compare different radios - and didn't know enough about them or the technology. Going with the Midland micromobile was somewhat of a hastly decision I made, but while I am learning more and more of what it's missing, so far I don't entirely regret it. 

I'll keep an eye on that other thread as well... thanks again to everyone for all the advice!

As for my original topic of antenna performance, for now i'm happy with the no-ground plane antenna that I have. Eventually (time-permitting) I'll add another NMO mount to the top of the tire carrier, and will compare the performance and post the results.

• Hans, berkinet and Uberkul like this

#49 VeritasVosLiberabit

VeritasVosLiberabit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for all the recommendations on different radios, I do appreciate it. I've been kinda wondering which are better than others and which may have some features that mine just isn't capable of. I may eventually replace the radio, but I'm in no rush - for my specific case of wanting something small in the jeep with limited space, I like the idea of the controls on the mic... the lack of "no PL on RX" is an issue, but not too big of an issue just yet. Since I don't [yet] have access to any local repeaters it's not a big issue... hopefully one day I can find some repeaters, then I could see it being an issue, and then may swap out the radio. So I'll take my time and research the radios now, so if/when the time comes I'll have a better idea of what I'm looking for. For a long time I was thinking to move away from CB to GMRS or HAM, but didn't really compare different radios - and didn't know enough about them or the technology. Going with the Midland micromobile was somewhat of a hastly decision I made, but while I am learning more and more of what it's missing, so far I don't entirely regret it. 

I'll keep an eye on that other thread as well... thanks again to everyone for all the advice!

As for my original topic of antenna performance, for now i'm happy with the no-ground plane antenna that I have. Eventually (time-permitting) I'll add another NMO mount to the top of the tire carrier, and will compare the performance and post the results.

Did the research and settled on a Maxon 8402A with help from a friend. I really wish the controls were in the mic like the MXT-275. Being an SEO guy and social sentiment monitor in my profession, I know both Maxon and Midland will be reading this. And to them both, I say: Don't ignore the 1-9-90 rule! Whoever manufactures a 15-, 25-, 40-, or 50-watt GMRS radio with controls in the mic that can run split tones as @mcallahan says, will mow down the rest of the industry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users