Petitioning to get a few VHF frequencies added to GMRS

Hans

11 hours ago, UncleYoda said:

I'm new to GMRS so I may see it differently than y'all because of that.  It was the linked repeaters that piqued my interest (and the club is going to add more).  I was discouraged from joining in before because the repeater closest to me is closed (paid members only, not accepting more).  Coming from the HAM world the idea of having to be in multiple clubs just to use 2 repeaters close to me did not sit well.  Without repeaters I would have almost no use for GMRS because family members aren't interested.

So what did you come to GMRS for then ? I'm curious because I see more and more hams going to GMRS when they have it already in HAM. I think in some part that's what's messing up GMRS. Its almost become a "ham light" to me. I get more and more baffled daily on the wants and needs of GMRS users. Ive been a ham for years and use ham radio when i want linking or data or other things it provides, but when i want simple point to point stuff GMRS is what I use. 

4 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

FCC regs: Part 95(e) would prohibit a manufacturer of a GMRS radio to transmit on MURS as well. So you have to look outside of GMRS radios to get one radio to do both.

I achieved this on my original Baofeng UV-5Rs and later on my Anytone AT-779UV a/k/a Radioddity DB20-G after "opening" up its ability to transmit on more than just GMRS (to Ham 2 meters and 70 cms and MURS).

Yet the UV5R is not certified for any of this....so why state the reqs when you dont follow them ? 

7 hours ago, gortex2 said:

Yet the UV5R is not certified for any of this....so why state the reqs when you dont follow them ? 

I am going to say this very slowly, so you can follow it:

If you want to TROLL me, be my guest, but at least ask questions that make sense:

But if my response answers someone else's question and you don't like my answer, either respond with your own pearls of wisdom, or try to be an angel and send out positive vibes! :)

On 10/31/2022 at 8:26 PM, UncleYoda said:

did you mean "without" the drama BS, because we certainly don't need that on HAM

Let's face it, no matter what radio service that is available to the general public, licensed or unlicensed. There will always be pros and cons to each radio service.  Sure, everyone who checks into this forum has heard someone making a fool of themselves over the radio, either the Amateur Radio Bands CB or GMRS.  Ignoring is not always easy and reporting is next impossible, unless they threaten harm or loss of life. They are meaning the bananas or little children as I call them. 

Edited by Adamdaj
Sound a little more intelligent than when I first post this.

5 hours ago, UncleYoda said:

Uh, you didn't answer my question (if I had one) because I'll already knew other radios would work if you want to do that.  I don't mod anything or break the rules for now.  If the whole system collapses then that is the time.

Oh, I'm sorry: the post immediately after yours must always respond to what you said? /sarcasm

@MichaelLAX my issue with you is you continually tell folks to use uncertified radios for our service. Your the troll here. Have you noticed others have left the site over your BS ? Doubt it cause you dont care. Go back to your basement and play with your action figures. Maybe California will break off the US and we will all be happy. 

The point of the restrictions on MURS, FRS and GMRS was to limit the range so they could be generally practical for families to use on their block.  

Allowing repeaters was letting a genie out of the bottle that made a lot of people consider uses beyond the original limiting method/device. 

My worthless opinion is if you want something more, just get it. "It" being a business or ham license.  All the great imaginings of what might be possible with changes already exist in the ham world. 

Stop trying to make GMRS into amateur radio. 

Sorry for the musings of a "sad ham" 

11 hours ago, gortex2 said:

@MichaelLAX my issue with you is you continually tell folks to use uncertified radios for our service. Your the troll here. Have you noticed others have left the site over your BS ? Doubt it cause you dont care. Go back to your basement and play with your action figures. Maybe California will break off the US and we will all be happy. 

Michael, as you do suffer from Valley Fever and its associated atrophy of higher cognitive functions, Goretex tried to politely state the issue isn't what others state, it's you. You are the one constantly bringing extraneous clutter to questions and possible solutions through the use of non-certified equipment, restating steps just stated by others earlier in the thread and then attempting to dismiss criticisms through your use of very poorly constructed sarcasm or snide comments.

I do agree that you have provided some assistance in instances but it is your constant "need to input" on any topic which is the primary issue. In other words, you are not the best, most accurate or final authority on the questions raised by others. Stop trying to monopolize the forum.

7 hours ago, BoxCar said:

Michael, as you do suffer from Valley Fever and its associated atrophy of higher cognitive functions, 

It's these types of insults hurled by @gortex2and you, that invalidate the rest of your comments; so that there is no point in trying to respond; rationally or otherwise! 

And now back to our sponsor: the debate about petitioning to add VHF frequencies to GMRS...

• 4 months later...

Ok, so what is between 450.0 MHz (end of 70cm) and 462.5625 (beginning of GMRS) or between (top of GMRS) 467.7125 and 902.0 (bottom of 33cm)  Kinda new to alot of this and I have nothing to scan these frequencies with. But they are NOT in the Ham spectrum, so what are they used for? And could GMRS expand into them?

Ok so the existing GMRS would not be able to use them, but the FCC recently authorized FM to the CB world..Thanks to Cobra electronics. how many old CBs have FM?  We started with 23 channels AM & SSB, then 40 AM & SSB now with FM

13 hours ago, WRPQ991 said:

Ok, so what is between 450.0 MHz (end of 70cm) and 462.5625 (beginning of GMRS) or between (top of GMRS) 467.7125 and 902.0 (bottom of 33cm)  Kinda new to alot of this and I have nothing to scan these frequencies with. But they are NOT in the Ham spectrum, so what are they used for? And could GMRS expand into them?

Public Safety, LMR, Industry, etc. As the chart shows a lot. GMRS and HAM are one little sliver of the RF spectrum. GMRS nor ham can expand into the other bands. If anything HAM could very well loose spectrum in the future. GMRS will never expand past the current channels unless it goes to 6.25 khz spacing which would destroy the already messed up allocation. 

16 minutes ago, gortex2 said:

GMRS nor ham can expand into the other bands.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people post on this forum about how GMRS, MURS, FRS or amateur radio should do something or include something they don't already. The general public has available bandwidth and modes up the yazoo between CB, MURS, amateur, GMRS and FRS, and still that's not enough. Sheesh. 

42 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people post on this forum about how GMRS, MURS, FRS or amateur radio should do something or include something they don't already. The general public has available bandwidth and modes up the yazoo between CB, MURS, amateur, GMRS and FRS, and still that's not enough. Sheesh. 

AND... in most of the nation, all of the services are grossly underutilized. 

8 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

AND... in most of the nation, all of the services are grossly underutilized.

We have a GMRS repeater sitting at 5,700 feet here in southern California that reaches from San Diego to well north and east of Los Angeles. Hearing all these folks whine about adding channels, modes, bands and frequencies to GMRS makes me laugh, because It is quiet 90% of the time. Its members don't even use it much, let alone the affiliates like me who pay $12 a year. Most of what I hear on GMRS is simplex, and not much of that either.