Where are the Open Repeater Initiative guidelines?

Hans

I'm interested in this too. I'm not finding much, unfortunately.

I did find this comment: "...there was an "open repeater" initiative a while back that sought to make repeaters "open" to licensed users. Those machines were typically on 675 with a PL of 141.8."* which is at this link: http://forums.radioreference.com/gmrs-frs/223478-question-about-gmrs-repeaters-being-used-farmers-print.html

* Actually it's 141.3.

I do know that 141.3 PL on 675 was a standard traveler's information / emergency channel pre-1999, so it stands to reason that the ORI would use that as a standard. Pure speculation on my part, though.

Good find. I didn't see that snippet when I searched.

The ever elusive "Open Repeater Initiative guidelines" that I'd like to check on our repeater in the database but have no idea what those guidelines entailed. Hopefully, someone who has checked the ORI box on their repeater can enlighten us.

Your speculation matches with my own; ORI probably includes Travel tone but must be more than just that. There is a Traveler Tone check box and an Open System (Does this repeater conform to the guidelines of the Open Repeater Initiative?) check box on the database.

It could be anything... including that you promise to chase off hooligans or hunt them down under blood oath. lol

Since there seems to be no currently posted guidelines, I would just click the box based on my own definition.

Yours may be different, but I would just call it "open to all licensed users (who behave themselves), 141.8 PL."

That PL is widely known as the travel PL, so shouldn't cause any licensed user any difficulty.

The part about behaving themselves allows for the blood sport of hooligan chasing, of course. :D

I found something! This might be the total sum of the guidelines; to be "open"? If so, what a let down. lol

http://web.archive.org/web/20140209073755/http://www.popularwireless.com/openrptr.html

We mean open but at the same we we keep in mind the GMRS rules that forbid automatic operation of GMRS repeaters. By open we mean repeater owners allow residents and visitors within their repeater's foot print to use the repeater for family communiation. There are requirements to meet anytime we allow others to use our systems.

Edited by Hans