What radio do you have for your car / truck?

TonyAldo

As a newbie my Midland MXT400 has gotten me no where.  So far I can listen to conversations but have had no communications with anyone.  Not even a signal strengh/radio check.  Attempted to get onto two different local repeaters and failed that drill as well.  One was on a different frequency than listed (found out later)  and I failed to place the correct tone squelch on for the other repeater.  The magnetic 6db antenna did bubble the paint on my like new hood.  So I made a platform for it and got it off the vehicle paint.

I am continuing to learn more and more everyday between work and choirs when I can.  INTERESTING THAT the repeaters can have the ability to set different tones for incoming and out going transmissions.  Being a MXT400 owner I didn't know that.

I have done so much more with CB's thru the years that makes this endevor a total wash so far (but I will keep trying...).  For nothing else it will be a good educational event in FRS/GMRS.

I do still carry a CB 75 WXST.  Good for on the trails and hwys when conversing with other Jeepers, or truckers...

As a newbie my Midland MXT400 has gotten me no where.  So far I can listen to conversations but have had no communications with anyone.  Not even a signal strengh/radio check.  Attempted to get onto two different local repeaters and failed that drill as well.  One was on a different frequency than listed (found out later)  and I failed to place the correct squelch on for the other repeater.  The magnetic 6db antenna did bubble the paint on my like new hood.  So I make a platform for it to attach to.

But I am continuing to learn more and more everyday between work and choirs when I can.  INTERESTING THAT the repeaters can have the ability to set different tones for incoming and out going transmissions.  Being a MXT400 owner I didn't know that.

[snip]

As long as one understand that if you use them in an area where repeaters are split-tone then they will be pretty much useless for hobby or serious repeater use...

That's really the pity because it would be very easy for Midland to fix the issue but they apparently have no regard for their customers. PT Barnum was right, I suppose.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but the subject of Midland radios being not dual PL tone capable has already been addressed.

The MXT400 is split tone capable if programmed to do so.  Out of respect for the experts on here who have posted about this several times, and so they won't have to post yet again, please view this thread:

https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/1837-midland-gmrs-product-updates/page-3

I have not tried it myself (yet), but to be fair, this option is out there.

..and if I'm not mistaken much less hassle to program than Motorola.

Never programmed a Motorola radio, but I have heard some complaints by others.

I use a handheld radio for GMRS. The one I typically use is the Kenwood TK-370G-1, 128 channel, 4 watts, and part 95 certified.

I also own the Kenwood TK-3170-1, 128 channel, 4 watts, and is also part 95 certified.

The nice part about both is the ability to program frequencies down to around 440 MHz for the Ham band. The software gives a warning when trying to save the memory channel but takes the entry anyway. The simplex and repeater section of the US Ham 70cm band is between 440 and 450 so I'm not concerned about anything lower.

With the above two radios I have access to GMRS and the Ham 70cm band in one radio.

Both use easy to find speaker microphones, headsets, battery packs. The radios use the same accessories as the cheap Chinese radios, they cloned the Kenwood interface including the programming cable.  

When programming in repeaters I use just the access tone for transmit and nothing for the receive. I don't care if the repeater has a receive tone or not so worrying about split tone operation isn't an issue for me.

Oh, about old radios with scratched up display glass, really plastic, tooth paste works great to get the scratches out with a lot of rubbing action. Its a VERY mild abrasive. After an hour or so the display glass on a number of my used radios looks almost new.

..and if I'm not mistaken much less hassle to program than Motorola...

I don’t think Motorola radios are any harder to program than any other radios with similar feature sets. What IS harder with Motorola radios is getting your hands on the software, Legitimate software is expensive and requires you to establish a Motorola account, Shared software is increasingly difficult to find as Motorola has been cracking down on sharing sites.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but the subject of Midland radios being not dual PL tone capable has already been addressed.

The MXT400 is split tone capable if programmed to do so.  Out of respect for the experts on here who have posted about this several times, and so they won't have to post yet again, please view this thread:

How could you be "beating a dead horse" when it is information some of us didn't have? :blink:

I was unaware it had been addressed and even asked if it had just the other day in this very thread.

You have brought very good news indeed. Thank you.

As a newbie GMRS user I'm looking to buy and install a mobile radio for my truck. I have two handheld radio and they can't reach my local repeater so I'm looking at installing a radio in my trucks now.

What is suggested as a good radio for GMRS? I was looking at the Midland MXT400 but I see mixed reviews in the community for this radio.

As a newbie GMRS user I'm looking to buy and install a mobile radio for my truck. I have two handheld radio and they can't reach my local repeater so I'm looking at installing a radio in my trucks now.

What is suggested as a good radio for GMRS? I was looking at the Midland MXT400 but I see mixed reviews in the community for this radio.

I am new in the GMRS world and probably not qualified to give you expert advice, but based on what I’ve been reading in this forum, the Kenwood TK-880 is one that is recommended. I’m sure that there are other Kenwood models and other Brands, but I’ve seen the TK-880 recommended frequently. I’m keeping an eye on one of those.

I am new in the GMRS world and probably not qualified to give you expert advice, but based on what I’ve been reading in this forum, the Kenwood TK-880 is one that is recommended. I’m sure that there are other Kenwood models and other Brands, but I’ve seen the TK-880 recommended frequently. I’m keeping an eye on one of those.

Be very careful which one you get. There are several different models of the TK-880 which covers different sections of the UHF band. The one you want is a Type-1. Look at the last page under specifications. The Type-1 is the only model that covers the GMRS frequencies and is Part 95 certified.

https://criticalradio.com/Kenwood%20Spec%20Sheets/Data%20Sheets/TK780h_880h_ver2_k.pdf

Oh, one more thing. Look at the ID tag on the back of the radio. It has the manufacture’s model number on it. I’ve seen too many eBay sellers get the radio description wrong. The only way to not get stuck buying a model that won’t work on GMRS is to check that ID tag. Most sellers show it in one of the photos of the radio. If not contact the seller and ask for the exact model number that appears on the ID tag or request they add a photo showing it.

Midland builds a good radio but there are limitations to the MXT400 out-of-the-box. GMRS repeaters primarily operate in wideband but Midland radios are narrowband. That means the  signal doesn't occupy as much spectrum and sounds softer to a wideband radio. Conversely, a wideband radio sounds louder on narrowband. The other issue with Midland has to do with the tones used to trigger or "wake up" some stations. Some repeaters use one tone on their input and another on output or split tone. Midland doesn't allow this. Thar doesn't mean the Midland radios won't work, just there are some cases where they won't.

Thank you!  Don't think I am ready for that move yet but it does have my interest.

There is one other consideration regarding the Midland MXT400: the cost:benefit ratio. The Midland is the exact same radio hardware as the Luiton LT-590, TYT TH-9000d, Retevis RT-9000D, and probably a few others. However, while the Midland costs ~$300, the Retevis RT-9000D is ~$140).

Of course, the radios are not identical. Midland has received FCC certification by modifying the firmware to meet GMRS requirements, mostly regarding operating on non-GMRS channels and power levels on some frequencies.  Unfortunately, one of the changes Midland made, limiting the radio to narrowband operation, was included in the FCC certification filing and although the programming software will let the bandwidth be defined on a per-channel basis, this cannot be changed without voiding the certification.

So, if you buy the MXT400 because it is a GMRS certified radio, and then alter the configuration to use wideband operation, you have ended up paying twice the price of a virtually identical non-certified Part-90 radio. Except, the RT-9000D will transmit from 400mHz to 490 mHz, so you get the ham UHF band as well.

There is one other consideration regarding the Midland MXT400: the cost:benefit ratio. The Midland is the exact same radio hardware as the Luiton LT-590, TYT TH-9000d, Retevis RT-9000D, and probably a few others. However, while the Midland costs ~$300, the Retevis RT-9000D is ~$140).

Of course, the radios are not identical. Midland has received FCC certification by modifying the firmware to meet GMRS requirements, mostly regarding operating on non-GMRS channels and power levels on some frequencies. Unfortunately, one of the changes Midland made, limiting the radio to narrowband operation, was included in the FCC certification filing and although the programming software will let the bandwidth be defined on a per-channel basis, this cannot be changed without voiding the certification.

So, if you buy the MXT400 because it is a GMRS certified radio, and then alter the configuration to use wideband operation, you have ended up paying twice the price of a virtually identical non-certified Part-90 radio. Except, the RT-9000D will transmit from 400mHz to 490 mHz, so you get the ham UHF band as well.

I'm actually thinking about buying the Retevis RT-9000D off Amazon. It's half the price of the Midland and has good reviews.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Be careful. Last time I looked, Amazon only had the VHF version. But, Retevis she’s the radio for $139 on their own web site.

You are right. I just checked and Amazon only has the VHF version.

So I went to Retevis.com. Try to order one and the system came back stating that there are no shipping services to FL. Believe it or not, no shipping services to FL. It makes me wonder where are they located and what countries they ship to.

There is one other consideration regarding the Midland MXT400: the cost:benefit ratio. The Midland is the exact same radio hardware as the Luiton LT-590, TYT TH-9000d, Retevis RT-9000D, and probably a few others. However, while the Midland costs ~$300, the Retevis RT-9000D is ~$140).

so i was poking at some of these tonight, and stumbled onto the Anytone AT-588, which looks to be the same hardware as the luiton, TYT, and retevis.  availability seems sparse, though.

https://www.amazon.com/AnyTone-400-490-Mobile-Radio-Scrambler/dp/B01CBA136G

Just remember none of the radios mentioned other than the Midland is ready out of the box. Thats the biggest issue for some folks. Not everyone is able to program a unit or even understands why they need to. I had a guy show up on a saearch a few years back. He had a CCR handheld and mobile and neither was on our SAR channels. When i asked him how it was programmed the answer was "it came programmed".... after the incident i worked with him and it was all out of the box channels. 

Personally I prefer LMR radios and for myself have all APX in my primary vehicles as i use them for public safety also. But for folks like my parents the midland was the best option. Eventually I will upgrade them one vehicle at a time with something commercial. I just installed the ICOM F221 at my guest house (winter home for them) with a base antenna so he doesn't need to leave an HT on all the time this winter.

Just remember none of the radios mentioned other than the Midland is ready out of the box. ...

Good point. Although, in some cases that may be a feature. One specific case is users who want to program more than 8 logical repeaters*. Many of the certified GMRS radios limit the number of logical repeater channels and also restrict them to specific memory locations (aka radio dial channels).  Also, given the apparently complicated front panel programming procedures, I am not sure an application based configuration system might not be better for many users.

Still, as you note, one more important thing to consider when selecting a radio.

* A logical repeater is a unique combination of frequency (GMRS Channel), CTCSS/DCS, and other access setting(s), bandwidth (wide or narrow), and power.

Just remember none of the radios mentioned other than the Midland is ready out of the box. Thats the biggest issue for some folks. Not everyone is able to program a unit or even understands why they need to. I had a guy show up on a saearch a few years back. He had a CCR handheld and mobile and neither was on our SAR channels. When i asked him how it was programmed the answer was "it came programmed".... after the incident i worked with him and it was all out of the box channels. 

Personally I prefer LMR radios and for myself have all APX in my primary vehicles as i use them for public safety also. But for folks like my parents the midland was the best option. Eventually I will upgrade them one vehicle at a time with something commercial. I just installed the ICOM F221 at my guest house (winter home for them) with a base antenna so he doesn't need to leave an HT on all the time this winter.

Sorry for asking a dumb question as I'm still learning but what is the meaning of CCR, SAR, LMR and APX?

Good point. Although, in some cases that may be a feature. One specific case is users who want to program more than 8 logical repeaters*. Many of the certified GMRS radios limit the number of logical repeater channels and also restrict them to specific memory locations (aka radio dial channels).  Also, given the apparently complicated front panel programming procedures, I am not sure an application based configuration system might not be better for many users.

Still, as you note, one more important thing to consider when selecting a radio.

* A logical repeater is a unique combination of frequency (GMRS Channel), CTCSS/DCS, and other access setting(s), bandwidth (wide or narrow), and power.

I did find a good walk through video on how to program the radio for the TYT TH-9000d. I'm thinking it's going to be the exact same for the Retevis RT-9000D. This way I can program all the GMRS channels into the radio. 

I ordered this radio from Amazon and got a notification that it was shipped today via DHL from Hong Kong. Interesting...

Sorry for asking a dumb question as I'm still learning but what is the meaning of CCR, SAR, LMR and APX?

Here ya go...

CCR = Cheap Chinese Radio. A low cost product built around a “radio on a chip.”

SAR = Search and Rescue

LMR = Land Mobile Radio. Also known as business radio. Commercial two way business radio systems.

APX = A line of Motorola two way radios. High end commercial equipment for LMR.

And, could you post a link to the youtube video you found. I am sure others here will find it helpful.