New TYT GMRS Handheld (POD-GMRS25)?

WRCL964

I watched your video and gave it a thumbs up.

Just for the sake of information though, Bao Feng is actually pronounced as "Po Fung..." Chinese pronunciation is weird don't ya know!

:dunno:

Pretty much all the Baofeng models have come as "pofung" labeled radios as well. But im certainly no language expert im sure they changed the labeling based on our pronunciation of their word. I dunno. 4f036e42ad36949cbb8f847d92e46227.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

While the trademark issue was quite real, the reason why "PoFung" was chosen by the Chinese manufacturer as an interim workaround, it truly is the way "BaoFeng" is pronounced in Mandarin Chinese!

"The current name ‘BAOFENG’, a literal Pinyin translation of our Chinese character name, may be difficult for a hobbyist across the ocean to pronounce. We’ve heard different kinds of pronunciations, like ‘BAY-O-FENG’. The new name ‘Pofung’ is easier to pronounce and more friendly to our customers, while maintaining the phonetic symbolism of our brand."

Source: http://www.baofengradio.com/en/shownews.asp?id=28

• 4 months later...

My family is very close with a Chinese family (most don't speak much English). One family member, a pupil of mine since she was in elementary school up until she completed her masters degree several years ago, told me way back that Baofeng was pronounced "Bow" "Fung". However, the other family members always pick on her for having "a hick accent". Apparently, she is chinese redneck. lol So, take that for what it's worth.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm quoting myself because I have experienced another data point since my post. We had a TYT TH-8600 here that was firmware locked to 2m and 70cm only. As such, I am changing my guess and say that any future part specific units based on the TYT TH-8600 will likely be locked to their appropriate frequency range if they enter the country legally. This will likely be firmware fixed so that it will require a firmware downgrade to change it.

The user programming software can be used to unlock the frequency range. At least it does on the Amateur version of the radio. Mine came locked to the Amateur Bands only out of the box.

Click on the "Frequency Range" tab on the left side of the TH-8600 programming software.  You should then see a small window with 3 frequency ranges on the left side, 150M 250M 450M. If you click in any of the ranges to the right you can't change the settings. Now press the "P" key on the computer keyboard. This NOT documented anywhere. Now you should get a small edit box that opens on the bottom of the frequency range window to enter a code. Type in "8600TH" without the quotes and is case sensitive. Then click "Enter". You should be able to click in any of the frequency range boxes now and change the values. Next write the code plug to the radio. Once this was done on mine I've never had to go back and change it.

I can't say if this will work for the GMRS version of the radio but if somebody has one and wants to try it then let us know.