Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNevada
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAF233

Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:10 PM

Very helpful, thanks.  

I moved all channels to Zone 1.  I forgot about the triangle indicator for Scan, so yes, ham is included as programmed.

My first try with 2-way communication between home and town (15 miles and over a mountain, probably 10 mi. LOS + the obstruction).  The repeater is on the mountain between.  It worked well calling from the grocery store to inside my house, both of us on HT.  Odd for me though, was a gal chimed in saying she was on the channel to talk to her boss across town and wondering it it was a "private" channel and should she move.  Naw, whatever..  didn't really have an answer.  So, are their radios coincidentally setup with the repeater PL, is there bleed, or..??  My wife could hear her as well so have to assume the lady was on the repeater but how and why I don't know.

I'll try a simplex channel from home to town next time to be sure we're not hitting from 15 miles with a hill considerably higher than the house obstructing LOS.

WRAF233

NE NV

#42 berkinet

berkinet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYR510
  • Ham Callsign:WB6TAE

Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:19 PM

... Odd for me though, was a gal chimed in saying she was on the channel to talk to her boss across town and wondering it it was a "private" channel and should she move. Naw, whatever.. didn't really have an answer. So, are their radios coincidentally setup with the repeater PL, is there bleed, or..?? My wife could hear her as well so have to assume the lady was on the repeater but how and why I don't know....

Well, it could be a lot of things. However, illegal use of GMRS is not unknown.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

-- Marcus Aurelius

#43 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNevada
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAF233

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:48 PM

I also have mobile TK-880 (few of them), where I can try to have assignment somewhat similar, to have less confusion for everybody:

A = scan add/delete

B = home GMRS channel

C and D = zone select

SCN = scan start/stop

MON = squelch off

Up and Down (left) = volume

Up and Down (right)  = channel select

When programming ham channels into both the 880 and 3170 it pops up "Out of Freq Range" or such.  I ignored and said "OK" so I guess I'll have to hope someone hits a repeater when I'm monitoring to see if they work.  

Mirrored your buttons except:

3 Zones (GMRS, GMRS Repeaters, and ham Repeaters - 880 only).  So it will take a conscious effort to go to ham.  All set to Scan.

A = Talk Around

Programming is easy once I got past the apprehension and work it a bit.

WRAF233

NE NV

#44 axorlov

axorlov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA
  • GMRS Callsign:WQVX408
  • Ham Callsign:KM6JGU

Posted 19 February 2020 - 02:05 AM

Yes, just ignore the warning about out of range, radio will work. I do not have sophisticated equipment, just a simple power meter, and I do not see any difference in power between ham band and GMRS band. Listening to the signal on another radio also do not show anything unusual.

Talk Around - I do not use it, I just programmed simplex frequencies with different PL/DPL codes. Pretty much all of my use is on simplex, anyway.

• WRAF233 likes this

- Alex

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kenwood, TK-880

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users