Kenwood TK-880H-1

RCM

One of the first things I do when interested in a model of radio I’m not familiar with is look for any manufacturers brochures. That gives a quick run down on the features. If no luck then look for the user manual, service manuals etc.

https://www.ameradio.com/doc/Kenwood_TK-7180_TK-8180.pdf

http://www.repeater-builder.com/kenwood/pdfs/tkr-740-840-brochure.pdf

Hey folks, sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. I think I've got the pieces I need together on ebay now. Going to be around $150 for radio, keypad mic, mount kit, programming cable, software and power cable. I already have a mag-mount antenna and cable. I'll look around here for a programming guide. My understanding is that I can't Tx on the low-power channels with this unit. Is that correct? I have found the Service Manual and Instruction Manual, but no Tech Specs.

JG

Thanks! Neither of those address the low power output, but I found elsewhere on this site that channels 9-15 (I think) are not useable for this device since it can't go that low on power. So channels 1-8 and the repeater channels. That should be just fine.

I also found a TK-880H on Used-Radios.com with Mic, Mount and Power cable for $110 - better than ebay. This Thursday it is mine. . . I'm still ordering the recommended cable from ebay.

JG

Thanks! Neither of those address the low power output, but I found elsewhere on this site that channels 9-15 (I think) are not useable for this device since it can't go that low on power. So channels 1-8 and the repeater channels. That should be just fine.

I also found a TK-880H on Used-Radios.com with Mic, Mount and Power cable for $110 - better than ebay. This Thursday it is mine. . . I'm still ordering the recommended cable from ebay.

JG

Great! Let us know how it goes when you get all the bits put together and the radio programmed. The narrow bandwidth and low power FRS channels are 8 to 14 at 0.5 watts. Channels 1 to 7 are 5 watts max and wideband, while the repeater main channels 15 to 22 are wideband and 50 watts max.

I just added another Kenwood TK-3170 and my first TK-3180 to my HT “collection”. I spend to much time on eBay and can’t pass up a good deal. 8-/

The programming software for the TK-3180 complained about several features that may not work right because the firmware was too old. After contacting Kenwood support they were nice enough to supply me with the most recent version. Didn’t even fuss about it.

I might have to buy yet again another different programming cable myself. I have a buddy who got his hands on a used Kenwood NX-820HG-K2 and mic from his work place they were going to dump. He has no interest in digital radios, it also does analog, so he said I could have it if I wanted. Now I need the cable. It’s not part 95 certified however.

https://comms.kenwood.com/common/pdf/download/10_NX-720HG&820HGBrochure.pdf

I buy from UR all the time.  They can/will program 16 channels for you allowing you to skip the 8 - 15 and have them insert the repeater channels instead for your 16 total.  You still might have to program some but if you have the repeater tones they'll put them in as well as key assignments.

JG

So, everything is ordered. Hope to see it early next week. I did have UR program in those 15 channels, so I should be able to get started quickly. At this point I'm not seeing any real GMRS traffic in my area and the closest repeater is just out of range. Unfortunately I have an HOA, so no repeater tower for me although I do have space in my 1/2 rack my computer lab is in. . .

JG

So, radio kit arrived today and I have to say they do great work. Power on message is my last name, channels programmed as requested. The radio looks new. I'll have to wait until the weekend to route the wiring, but I bench tested it today and programmed a few more channels in Group 2 (ham 70cm repeaters near me). The cable from bluemax49ers worked like a champ. I even reprogrammed the buttons as suggested previously. You folks ROCK!

Can you adjust the VCO on this v1 radio? I get an out-of-bounds message when programming in the 70CM band and didn't hear any traffic from the repeaters. Not going to key up until I pass my Tech test.

JG

I programmed area Ham repeaters into my 880, got the out of bounds message but hit ok and proceeded.  I'm in listen only mode but did eavesdrop on a Boise area ham conversation last hunting season so it worked.  Couldn't have talked back if I'd wanted to since my TX was fried at the time.  Just programmed ham into my new 880 for the SxS and same notification.

GMRS traffic is almost nonexistent in my area of San Antonio. 2 of the 4 repeaters aren't online and one (Downtown) hasn't responded to my access request. Getting a bit frustrated, but the good news is the air waves are mine!! Once I get the mobile installed I'll start working w/my wife on distance.

JG

Congrats! I'm not sure about 880 V1, but V2 tunes into the repeater part of Ham band without problem (only warning pop-up in the software). In the place where I live, San Francisco Bay Area, 70cm repeaters are quiet, except the ones that are placed lower in the mountains and linked to 2m repeaters. There is a reason for that, the PAVE PAWS missile defense site site north of Sacramento, that forced prominent high-placed 70cm repeaters to go off-air. On opposite, Los Angeles area has a huge number of 70cm repeaters on air. Quietness of the ether may not be an indication that there is something wrong with the radio. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I finally got all the tools to test out my TK-880H. Here is what I got.

First up, GMRS01:

post-4615-0-71918700-1619492701_thumb.jpg

Second, a local repeater:

post-4615-0-58585700-1619492657_thumb.jpg

So, I'm over powered for GMRS01-07 and under powered for repeaters. Why is my power so low for the repeater? I have it set to High in the software. I'm using a Nagoya dual-band VHF/UHF antenna I got from Amazon.

JG

• 1 year later...

I Bought a few used TK880s,  I could use a little help:

1.  Does anyone know why C152, the 1000uF would be removed?  

2.  The I/O (Power switch) has been set up to turn on and off the audio amplifier (I believe this is a power saving move for use a porta-peater).  Any information on returning the I/O switch function to power On/Off would be appreciated.

Frank

3 hours ago, WRVU874 said:

I Bought a few used TK880s,  I could use a little help:

1.  Does anyone know why C152, the 1000uF would be removed?  

2.  The I/O (Power switch) has been set up to turn on and off the audio amplifier (I believe this is a power saving move for use a porta-peater).  Any information on returning the I/O switch function to power On/Off would be appreciated.

Frank

I suspect C152 was removed because it failed at some point, likely shorted, blowing the in-line power fuse. Running off a regulated supply it might not matter so whoever did it just didn't bother to replace it.

Just a guess here. I haven't screwed around with the programming software but the power switch thing might be a programmable option to keep the radio on whenever the vehicle is running, turns off when the vehicle is off thus nothing for the operator to forget, like turning off the radio thus draining the battery. 

C152.jpg

tk-880h-svc-man.pdf