Henry Electronics UHF Amplifier

RCM

I have a Henry UHF Amp model C25D02, 1-5 watts in, 25 watts out. I've had if for over 20 years; it was given to me by a retired police chief from California. I had never used it because I didn't have a use for it. The tuned center frequency is 464 MHz with a 10 MHz bandwidth. Perfect for GMRS but unusable for 70cm ham radio.

So now I have a use for it in my GMRS repeater. I mentioned it in another thread earlier today. It's perfect for my repeater because 5 watts is the minimum specified power setting of the Kenwood TK-805D I'm using as the transmitter. That will raise its duty cycle, although it's not bad at its current setting of 12 watts.

The amplifier is rated 50% duty cycle mobile and 100% duty cycle in a repeater, at 25 watts output.

I had no documentation on the amp. It is still a current model, so I was able to find some data on it from the Henry website.

I decided earlier this evening to email the company and ask about Part 95A type classification, and also asked if I could get a manual. I received an email reply within the hour from Ted S. Henry. He assured me that it is indeed type accepted, and attached a pdf of the manual.

Two thumbs up for Henry Radio! 

• 2 weeks later...

That is certainly good to hear. I am building a new repeater and trying to comply with Part 95 . Finding a PA has been a worry. Aftermarket PA's are commonly used with Part 90 equipment and as such, I have not seen any concern as to specific certifications. It is the exciter that does the heavy lifting as to modulation emissions. The PA if well designed and terminated into a proper load should do fine.

Typically from my understanding, Part 90 is allowed on GMRS mostly because the specifications are generally the same. If I recall, the main difference is that part 90 has a narrow band requirement while part 95 is wide band. The other difference is maximum power output, part 90 is 100+W while part 95 is 50W. As long as your part 90 equipment is set up with part 95 specs, you can usually get away with it.