NEW TO GMRS - Couple Questions

kiltronix

Greetings.

I am very new to all of this and have a few questions if you all don't mind. I apologize in advance if they seem obvious. LOL! I got a handheld from amazon and programmed all of the GMRS channels (repeater channels too).

1. What is the b b beep beep b b b b beep beep beep I hear periodically when I am scanning channels? I hear it on 462.550 very often?
  2. I've looked up some repeaters here in Phoenix, AZ (using this site) and there are a couple that advertise "nets" but the time the "net" is supposed to occur, I hear nothing? I have the R-CTCS set to "off" on all programmed channels.
  3. I believe I understand the privacy codes to be misleading. If I have no privacy code set, I should be able to hear all transmissions on a given frequency correct? The privacy codes are more like conversation filters so "you don't hear them" but "they still hear you" (not private at all)?
  4. Occasionally while driving, I will pick up the handset and transmit my call sign and ask if anyone can hear me and I've never received a response? Normal?

If you have the time to help out a new guy, that would be cool.

THX.

They're marketed as "interference eliminator codes" in honest marketing.  They offer no privacy, only solitude.

If you want privacy, you want encryption and or FHSS… both are illegal in GMRS, but available in 900 MHz unlicensed radios that can do up to 1 watt.  Motorola markets them heavily for business use, as the licensing requirement is … well, "no requirement" is very easy to comply with.  :P

They don't encrypt, but they do do FHSS, which makes them pretty low-probability-of-intercept.