Socal GMRS

Hype6477

Hello Everyone!

I am new to GMRS I, recently received my licenses. I am trying to use my Baofeng UV-5R to hit the repeaters near me (462.725 and 462.625) and, I am having no luck. No one is replying idk if I have the tones right or not I tried all the ones I saw posted inrepars to this sight.

2) Is there some local GMRS group in the San Fernando Valley area that's still active?

Edited by PastorGary
Staff Edit by request of OP

Question: Amature radio offsets for repeaters are designated either as a + or a -, with a standard amount of offset for that frequency. The + or - is what direction from the transmit frequency of the radio?

For UHF frequencies, a + would be 5 MHz up and - is 5 MHz down.

So 462.xxx + = 467.xxx

Question: Amature radio offsets for repeaters are designated either as a + or a -, with a standard amount of offset for that frequency. The + or - is what direction from the transmit frequency of the radio?

Ff

The + or - is from the receive frequency, not transmit. On GMRS the transmit is + 5 MHz from the receive frequency. That is also common usage on 70cm ham radio, but some repeaters do not use that standard.

There's an open repeater on 600 at Mt. Wilson (see MyGMRS database), and travel tone in the LA area (not sute about SFV coverage). Try also Club 650 for technical discussion, but that's not a super active repeater. The primary tones listed in the database are correct and I can hit 600, 625, and 725 from here.

625 and 725 are quite... crass. They may ignore radio checks. 625 has a rather insensitive receiver so you need a fairly strong signal to hit it. 725 also needs a good signal but that has exceptional coverage in the SFV.

Thank you, "recieve frequency " brings it together.

Hey Elk Hunter, Here's a little more information for you, for when you get your ham license...

The standard offset for UHF repeaters is +5 MHz from the receive frequency.  That goes for ham, GMRS, and commercial. NOTE: The standard is not always followed, but for the most part, it is.

On VHF, there is no standard for offsets on commercial repeaters, and they seem to be all over the road. The standard offset for VHF (2-Meter) ham repeaters is 600KHz, or 0.6MHz.

Another tidbit: The standard (again not always followed, but mostly) is that ham repeaters above 147 MHz use a positive offset, and those below 147MHz use a negative offset. Thus, you will see repeaters like 146.820- (in which your transmit frequency would be 146.220) or 147.060+ (which you would transmit into at 147.660).

I hope this is useful information for you. -73

• 2 weeks later...