New to GMRS.

harold95

Hi 

just wanted to introduce myself. 

i'm new to gmrs, and have already learned some things involving it. i have been looking over the forum here, lots of good stuff.

i have tried to reach out to see if any one is out there on the air, but like most of the ham repeaters, no one is about, and most 

of the repeaters are no longer up and running.

i am also a ham operator, and enjoy the occasional rtty contest.

i have a tk-860 on order, and i should have most everything i need for mobile gmrs by the end of next week.

anyways....

• 2 weeks later...

First:  Welcome to the hobby, welcome to the forum, and welcome to the community!  :D

Second:  The Midland MicroMobile have some issues you should be aware of.  

https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/1352-midland-mxt400/?p=10934

In short, they're narrower than narrowband, and are operating on a wideband radio service.  Those running 25 kHz deviation will hear you very quietly, and those deviating near their limits on wideband transmitters will clip on yours.

New to all these.I just received my GMRS licensed and got me a pair of midland GXT1000 . purpose for this device is for , in case of emergency, bug-out situation .The license covers family members . So my wife and I can use these radios ? do I need to register these radios to FCC?

Welcome to the Forum. There is no registration of equipment, however, as a licensed operator, you are responsible for the proper operation of the equipment that you own or that is used under your license.

Family members as listed in Part 95.1705 c 2:  "Any individual who holds an individual license may allow his or her immediate family members to operate his or her GMRS station or stations. Immediate family members are the licensee's spouse, children, grandchildren, stepchildren, parents, grandparents, stepparents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, and in-laws."

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, my name is Pierre and I'm new to GMRS. My call sign is WRDB805. I also have a ham radio Tech license, call sign KC3KUL. I just got my GMRS license and am trying to get into the game here. Trying to see what the GMRS presence is in the Pittsburgh area. I just bought a Baofeng GMRS-V1 and I'm eager to try it out on any local repeaters in the area. I'm looking forward to talking to some people and learning more about GMRS.

New here as well. Learning all I can about GMRS while preparing to get my General HAM ticket. Purchased two of the GMRS-V1 HT from Baofeng last week since I expect most comms with family will be on simplex. We do have a few GMRS repeaters within 30 miles, so I'm hoping to get a chance to work those repeaters soon.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, a newbie here, just got my GMRS Lic. Trying to learn all I can everyday about Ham and repeaters. I own a Midland micro mobile MXT 115 I don’t know much about yet and a few HT’s. I could use all the help I can get, it would be appreciated. I think this will be an interesting hobby.

Hi new guys, You are entering an interesting and frustrating hobby. My first suggestion is to go thru the equipment reviews in this forum. Be sure of what your usage is BEFORE you buy! I didn't and it cost me $.

Keep in mind that the best way to keep this radio band from going the way of CB radio is for EVERYONE to adhere to the rules.

Welcome to the forum. Ask any question you want.

Keith T

• 2 months later...

Figured I would jump in and introduce myself.. Just got my GMRS license last week.. I'm in So.California and we lead a lot of large off-road runs and more and more people are buying the bubble pack/FRS type radios so I got my license in hopes that I would be able to get a radio that would allow me to talk to them all with a higher-power radio/larger antenna for more range so I'm hoping my GMRS-V1 will do the job.. I've also been looking for local GMRS repeaters to use for SHTF situations, but not finding much in the area..

Figured I would jump in and introduce myself.. Just got my GMRS license last week.. I'm in So.California and we lead a lot of large off-road runs and more and more people are buying the bubble pack/FRS type radios so I got my license in hopes that I would be able to get a radio that would allow me to talk to them all with a higher-power radio/larger antenna for more range so I'm hoping my GMRS-V1 will do the job.. I've also been looking for local GMRS repeaters to use for SHTF situations, but not finding much in the area..

Welcome!  FRS and GMRS is getting really popular in the east coast offroad community too.  While the range is not great without elevation, the quality of UHF FM comms is top-notch. 

Its always good to have a common use radio for brown-fan moments.  It may seem like there are not many people out there, but as a former emergency comms person, you will be pretty surprised how crowded the channels get if something goes sideways.

The repeater that I use runs on solar and battery for this reason :) 

Also, I'm new too, so welcome to all who are also newbies like me.  I found that everything was very quiet until I jumped on a local repeater - all it took was a radio check and met some (so far) great folks on air.
Don't give up if it seems quiet.  Simply announce occasionally that you are listening or ask for a radio check and you might very well find someone else lurking.

Hi,  Just wanted to introduce myself.  I'm a new Ham operator (KN4VIR), and I've had my GMRS license about 6 mos.  I originally got the license for when we go rockhunting. I'm able to spread out a little without having to shout to the grandkids.  No one seemed interested in becoming a ham so I figured this would do.  Seems to work ok.  Not a lot of traffic around here, but VHF frequencies are quiet here to.  Well just wanted to give everyone a shout out.

Hi,  Just wanted to introduce myself.  I'm a new Ham operator (KN4VIR), and I've had my GMRS license about 6 mos.  I originally got the license for when we go rockhunting. I'm able to spread out a little without having to shout to the grandkids.  No one seemed interested in becoming a ham so I figured this would do.  Seems to work ok.  Not a lot of traffic around here, but VHF frequencies are quiet here to.  Well just wanted to give everyone a shout out.

Welcome!  What kid of rock hunting do you do? Decorated (painted and hidden) or precious and semi-precious?

And yes... GMRS and FRS is way better than trying to yell.  BUT... my kids still tend to ignore me on the radio, too.  LOL

• 2 years later...
On 3/25/2019 at 11:22 PM, pierre15208 said:

Hello, my name is Pierre and I'm new to GMRS. My call sign is WRDB805. I also have a ham radio Tech license, call sign KC3KUL. I just got my GMRS license and am trying to get into the game here. Trying to see what the GMRS presence is in the Pittsburgh area. I just bought a Baofeng GMRS-V1 and I'm eager to try it out on any local repeaters in the area. I'm looking forward to talking to some people and learning more about GMRS.

I am in Beaver County.