n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWU626
  • Ham Callsign:N4GIX

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:44 PM

That is precisely what it was, an OTH backscatter array. The transmitter was located about 70 km from this receiving array so it wouldn't cause any desense issues.

#22 w2xab

w2xab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:QWON496
  • Ham Callsign:W2XAB

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:23 AM

If you are talking about stacking one antenna atop the other to get 3-db of additional gain, it requires a new factory phasing harness.

If you plan on mounting them otherwise, you would be better to us a voter and a second receiver for phase diversity on receive and can gain 6-db or more on RX.

If you are using a duplexer and the antennas are phased incorrectly (harness and/or spacing); it can create some bad TX patterns including rapid fading for mobiles.

One of the advantages of using a voter is you can add a high gain preamp (may require a bandpass filter also) and greatly improve handheld coverage.

#23 taco6513

taco6513

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSooner State
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCW870

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:52 AM

Going forward with one single DB420 and 220 feet of 1 5/8 heliax cable. Just told by tower owner that is all free for me to use. So I can't bit*h to much.

Trade off is I buy, install, service, and maintain a standby generator. It is on it's way. Be here next week. 

WRCW870

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users