berkinet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYR510
  • Ham Callsign:WB6TAE

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:33 AM

... I sent a message to the tower with my callsign and it sent back a loud siren almost like a police siren....

By, "sent a message" do you mean you transmitted from your radio and spoke your call sign? Or, did you do something else?

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

-- Marcus Aurelius

#22 russwbrill

russwbrill

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:46 PM

Have you checked your antenna system and coax???

A poor antenna will cause all sorts of problems..

Russ

#23 russwbrill

russwbrill

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:01 PM

Here's a link to an SWR/Power meter that will help you test your antenna https://www.dxengine...parts/dmn-sx40c

The less reflected power you have the better...

Good Luck,

Russ

#24 WRAF213

WRAF213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationVentura, CA, USA
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAF213
  • Ham Callsign:KJ6PSG

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:08 PM

Hello, ive been monitoring  a repeater tower in a neighboring town. it sends a morse code transmission with it's callsign every half hour. I sent a message to the tower with my callsign and it sent back a loud siren almost like a police siren. I hope I didn't make anyone mad. Also contacted the operator days prior with no response.

It's probably some ridiculous courtesy tone. SWR issue shouldn't affect that. If the repeater just sends its CWID all the time but nobody actually uses the repeater, there's probably nobody to talk to using it anyways; it wouldn't surprise me if the owner doesn't watch it either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users