Ritron Patriot RRX-450

Billy

Question

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140944502597?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I purchased this last night.   Although JohnE has the best repeater systems around I wanted this for an emergency backup to be operated from my house.   I did all the coverage predications and it looks like 25 Watts would cover my local area for HT service with my current antenna setup. 

I have a few Ritron radios and in addition to them all being Part 95 accepted they are work horses.  I have the software and cable already to program the radio so that should be a snap.  The built in controller does hang time, Morse ID and a few other tricks.    It also has its own power supply and DC battery backup charger.  My only issue is going to be tuning the duplexer once I reprogram it. 

So I was wondering if anybody knows a good place to take it and have the duplexer retuned for the GMRS pair (looks like 725 is available locally).   Thanks in advance for any information.  Bill WQOV721

I should have added that I am in Babylon, Long Island.

how do you plan to power it up on the mountain?

There is commercial power available on it already.  the model i have is only 8 watts. but the repeater will sit over 9500 feet up and has a 100% duty cycle.  I have my HT's that on 1 watt have no issues reaching 15 miles with ease to my jpole at the house on a slight elevation so im not to worried about an 8watt repeater that sits over 9500 feet up.  Unlike most, posts i have read that want to reach waaaaaayyyyy out there. to me they need to be in the HF band.  I only want  moderate range but with excellent duty cycle. so i think this will work out fine.  

OK still making progress, its been very slow on getting the repeaters setup in my area.  Work during fire season slows things to a near stand still. but i have two repeaters and still have the RITRON. i'll be sending that off to Indiana as well since most have no clue on how to tune these duplexers.  The RRX 450 uses a RCA connector inside to connect to the transmitter and receiver.  so most see that i assume and say ...EEEEEEKKKKKK i cant touch this.  

Paperwork is filed and i have the notification letters sent out to the existing permit holders. by mid october if no gripes or concerns manifest i think there should be a second repeater in the area. 575 is up and working provided by KAF2088. so at least something is in the area again. 

Hey Billy, where did you get the software and programming cable for your radios??... I just acquired an Ritron Patriot Repeater RRX-450 from ebay and need to see about getting it programmed to my GMRS frequencies....

Call up Ritron and ask for the programming PC Kit. they'll send you the software and cables, it requires a machine that can run DOS. like XP. however, you have to have a service monitor for the re tuning of the duplexer.

Hey Billy, where did you get the software and programming cable for your radios??... I just acquired an Ritron Patriot Repeater RRX-450 from ebay and need to see about getting it programmed to my GMRS frequencies....

I don't have the software or cable. I do have the full manual though and am able follow directions to program via the microphone's "PTT" button; a series of key clicks! smile.png

OK my repeater is on its way back from Ritron. should be here the 20th this month.  I sent it out on the 22nd, they got it the 26th(sept).  communication lines getting crossed delayed it a tad but they got it re tuned and programmed for $75.00 and shipping back to me for a grand total of $101.00, That's from northern Nevada to Indiana.