Help Improving Simplex Range Needed

marcspaz

Question

Hello,  I am in a bit of a pickle today.  I am getting what I believe to be sub-par simplex performance with my new GMRS mobile radios.  Though, I may just be at the limit of the service.  I am hoping someone may have a recommendation or some information for me.

I have 2 trucks that I put Midland MXT400's in.  I am using the Midland 6 DB gain antenna.  Both antenna's are hard mounted to the windshield cowl, about 8 inches forward of the windshield and vertical.  The antenna base on one truck is 60 inches off the ground and the other antenna base is 54 inches off the ground. 

I have a UHF SWR/Watt meter.  Both vehicles are reading about 1.1:1-1.2:1 and there is zero reflective energy on either setup.

With both radios, I can successfully talk to repeaters 20+ miles away and they sound great.  On simplex, in as straight of a line as I can get on any road around here, I can only talk about 2.5 miles with 5 watts scale (3.7 measured).  When I bump the power to the 40 watts scale (35 measured), I don't pick up any more than 25 to 30 yards of more range.

I tried buying a couple of magnetic mount antenna bases and put both antenna's in the center of each vehicles roof and gain zero performance.  I also saw about the same forward and ref energy reading as well as SWR.

I am a HAM and on 440 (70cm), on a 5 watt hand held, I am getting about 7 miles on a 5 DB gain antenna.  With my 2m/440 setup in my car, I get about 17 miles on 440 simplex with 35 watts.  I am having a hard time believing that the small jump from 440's to 460's is crippling my simplex performance.  Especially since I am able to use repeaters 20+ miles away.

Any suggestions?  Is this what I should expect out of this part of the UHF band or am I overlooking something?  I feel like I am probably making a simple mistake and I am just missing it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Marc

5 answers to this question

Hello,  I am in a bit of a pickle today.  I am getting what I believe to be sub-par simplex performance with my new GMRS mobile radios.  Though, I may just be at the limit of the service.  I am hoping someone may have a recommendation or some information for me.

I have 2 trucks that I put Midland MXT400's in.  I am using the Midland 6 DB gain antenna.  Both antenna's are hard mounted to the windshield cowl, about 8 inches forward of the windshield and vertical.  The antenna base on one truck is 60 inches off the ground and the other antenna base is 54 inches off the ground. 

I have a UHF SWR/Watt meter.  Both vehicles are reading about 1.1:1-1.2:1 and there is zero reflective energy on either setup.

With both radios, I can successfully talk to repeaters 20+ miles away and they sound great.  On simplex, in as straight of a line as I can get on any road around here, I can only talk about 2.5 miles with 5 watts scale (3.7 measured).  When I bump the power to the 40 watts scale (35 measured), I don't pick up any more than 25 to 30 yards of more range.

I tried buying a couple of magnetic mount antenna bases and put both antenna's in the center of each vehicles roof and gain zero performance.  I also saw about the same forward and ref energy reading as well as SWR.

I am a HAM and on 440 (70cm), on a 5 watt hand held, I am getting about 7 miles on a 5 DB gain antenna.  With my 2m/440 setup in my car, I get about 17 miles on 440 simplex with 35 watts.  I am having a hard time believing that the small jump from 440's to 460's is crippling my simplex performance.  Especially since I am able to use repeaters 20+ miles away.

Any suggestions?  Is this what I should expect out of this part of the UHF band or am I overlooking something?  I feel like I am probably making a simple mistake and I am just missing it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Marc

The MXT400 is narrow band and overall is not a great performer. I get 10 solid miles simplex on the highway using a Motorola XPR 5550 and a 1/4 wave thru mounted in the roof of a 2015 GMC pickup. The MTX400 and others in the lineup have been discussed in the equipment review section of this site.

http://mwgmrs.com/mygmrs/truck3.jpg

The MXT400 is narrow band and overall is not a great performer. I get 10 solid miles simplex on the highway using a Motorola XPR 5550 and a 1/4 wave thru mounted in the roof of a 2015 GMC pickup. The MTX400 and others in the lineup have been discussed in the equipment review section of this site.

That's bad news and a serious oversight on my end.  I can't believe I missed that.  Midland micromobile came up in the top 5 recommended GMRS radios is a bunch of online reviews.

Is there any options other than selling this radios and buying a pair of widebands?

That's bad news and a serious oversight on my end.  I can't believe I missed that.  Midland micromobile came up in the top 5 recommended GMRS radios is a bunch of online reviews.

Is there any options other than selling this radios and buying a pair of widebands?

Not really, you can fight Midland to take them back as others have.

Not really, you can fight Midland to take them back as others have.

I appreciate the info.  Much appreciated.

I have 2 Midland MXT radios, (275 & 400). I belive the reason that Midland MXT radios score high on GMRS mobile reviews is there are few, if any other FCC type 95 mobiles out there.

That actually makes a lot of sense.  I appreciate it.