Are GMRS repeaters required to identify every 15 minutes?

WRAX891

16 hours ago, Adamdaj said:

I know that I have read the current FCC part 95 E rules and regulations and tried to comprehend them. However, I may have misinterpreted the rules for repeaters.

I think some other members here have clarified that for you.

16 hours ago, Adamdaj said:

I have monitored the LEARN 462.575 repeater and I have noticed that only a few members ID as required by the FCC. However, the majority of LEARN membership just use their unit number, such as unit 822.  If Amateur Radio Operators did this, the OOs would  have a field day sending reports to the FCC and possibly Fox Hunting.

Don't be one of those that fail to ID. There are a surprising number of Hams on GMRS. The DF equipment that works on 70cm works just fine on GMRS too. ?

9 hours ago, Lscott said:

I think some other members here have clarified that for you.

Don't be one of those that fail to ID. There are a surprising number of Hams on GMRS. The DF equipment that works on 70cm works just fine on GMRS too. ?

You 're right, I sound like a Hall Monitor. Yep, I forgot many times I have heard Amateur Radio Operator Talking up a storm without IDing. The majority them just accidentally forget and others are bananas, talking without a License.

I apologize for sounding like uneducated bum.

43 minutes ago, WRUU850 said:

Maybe this can help people understand: If a GMRS repeater has more than one licensee operating on it, the repeater MUST identify.

Reason: If there are 2 or more valid licensees operating on a repeater, the FCC needs to know who is responsible for the repeater.

The clearest description with the least words I have seen. Nicely done. 

1 hour ago, gortex2 said:

I think the pillferation of the CCR ham radio and modification to use on GMRS would be more of a concern....

? okay I’ll bite. While I’m not advocating for dismissal of any rules but If people are using a Ham radio that is essentially the same as the GMRS radio that said CCR company makes and those people modify and use that Ham radio to talk on GMRS and they are adhering to all other rules/protocols, 1. How would you know? 2. Why would this be of more concern than following other rules like proper ID? And finally 3. Is it only CCR modification and use that you are opposed with why?

My point was we are worried about ID yet not worried about non certified radios. Both are breaking the rules, yet one we jump up and down over and the other we help with. In the end it doesn't matter. People do what they want. IF they want to ID then ID if not dont do it. No one will knock on your door just like using your ham radio on GMRS. 

1 minute ago, gortex2 said:

My point was we are worried about ID yet not worried about non certified radios

Fair enough. Point taken and accepted. You are certainly right that as far as enforcement these things don’t likely matter. I think the ID issue keeps coming up because people keep insisting the rules say something other than what they do. Why I don’t know. It seems understood by most but for whatever reason that fire keeps popping up. I suspect people have already decided what the rules say and then cannot assimilate what’s before them. I don’t think we should not try and correct an incorrect statement though. The community exist in part to educate and help those that don’t know these things and a place to find things we don’t know. 

26 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

I don’t think we should not try and correct an incorrect statement though. The community exist in part to educate and help those that don’t know these things and a place to find things we don’t know. 

This!

If people don’t know the rules they don’t have a chance of following them.

On 3/2/2023 at 8:16 AM, gortex2 said:

Are we arguing about this again ? There is litterly a dozen posts on this. Give it up. IF people follow the rules they will ID, If not it is what it is. I think the pillferation of the CCR ham radio and modification to use on GMRS would be more of a concern....

Well I'm not "arguing" about anything "again" as I am new to GMRS.

However, I am in the process of putting up multiple high profile, linked, GMRS repeaters in the Metro Detroit area and wanted to know. The answers provided here, before I resurrected the thread, seemed flat out wrong and provided by someone who should know better...

40 minutes ago, WRUU850 said:

I am in the process of putting up multiple high profile, linked, GMRS repeaters in the Metro Detroit area

Do you plan to make your linked repeaters monitor the frequency for activity in their local coverage area before actually linking from a distant user? Do you plan to make the repeaters monitor their input or output frequency prior to putting out it's ID every 15 minutes? Automatic linking and Auto ID are rarely implemented with any consideration that someone else may actually be keyed up and active as a co-channel user on the frequency already.

Just curious, cause the Rule Police don't often talk about those concepts.

1 hour ago, WRUU850 said:

However, I am in the process of putting up multiple high profile, linked, GMRS repeaters in the Metro Detroit area and wanted to know. The answers provided here, before I resurrected the thread, seemed flat out wrong and provided by someone who should know better...

Where do you plan to locate the repeaters in the area?

11 minutes ago, Radioguy7268 said:

Do you plan to make your linked repeaters monitor the frequency for activity in their local coverage area before actually linking from a distant user? Do you plan to make the repeaters monitor their input or output frequency prior to putting out it's ID every 15 minutes? Automatic linking and Auto ID are rarely implemented with any consideration that someone else may actually be keyed up and active as a co-channel user on the frequency already.

Just curious, cause the Rule Police don't often talk about those concepts.

During our weekly nets the repeaters always break in and auto-ID. We just pause until it’s done. We understand that it’s required and I’ve never heard anyone complain about it. But that is for a repeater that’s not networked. 
On our DMR (ham) network, which is linked to the Brandmeister network, I don’t recall every hearing a repeater ID. I’ll have to listen on the analog side to see if it’s IDing itself there. 

So, I am going to write something super controversial and likely going to spur some conversation... I don't know what the right answer is and don't take this as advice, but I will tell you what I do know I have seen.

I know two people that collectively run over a dozen GMRS repeaters and none of them ID on their own.  Also, both of them had people file complaints about the repeaters, leading to site visits by the FCC.  They both were accused of using non-compliant repeaters and not ID'ing.  Both of their systems and sites were found compliant and nothing changed.  They still have the same hardware and still don't ID.

There are several things in the rules that lead me to believe that there are many people misunderstanding when repeaters must ID on there own.  Combined with what I have seen my friends go through, it just reinforces that opinion.

Come to think of it... I don't recall ever hearing, first-hand, a repeater ID on it's own.  Like, anywhere... ever.

There is a repeater near me but I have yet to hear it's ID with my RX tones on but I hear an ID on simplex (no tones). I never checked to see how often there is an ID. 

at least it’s my assumption that I’ve been hearing the ID come from there as it’s the same channel… 

Edited by WRUU653

2 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

There is a repeater near me but I have yet to hear it's ID with my RX tones on but I hear an ID on simplex (no tones). I never checked to see how often there is an ID. 

at least it’s my assumption that I’ve been hearing the ID come from there as it’s the same channel… 

Some repeaters do their ID without a tone. People who have a tone set for receive won’t hear it. 
Here’s where I first learned about it:

6 hours ago, Sshannon said:

During our weekly nets the repeaters always break in and auto-ID. We just pause until it’s done. We understand that it’s required and I’ve never heard anyone complain about it. But that is for a repeater that’s not networked. 
On our DMR (ham) network, which is linked to the Brandmeister network, I don’t recall ever hearing a repeater ID. I’ll have to listen on the analog side to see if it’s IDing itself there. 

So I left my radio on listening on the analog side and I just heard the 70 cm DMR repeater ID itself. It did so in analog mode using Morse Code after the first DMR transmission in a long time.