Privacy Codes with Repeater Channels? (San Francisco)

noahb

Hi All,

I've tried googling and searching the threads, but can't find the answer. Apologies for noob question:

When using a repeater channel that has a DPL code, will everyone hear the same transmissions? Is there a way to key in another privacy code so you can communicate with a friend without everyone hearing it automatically? (I realize it's not truly private)

Using MXT400. 

Thanks! 
Noah

PS - If anyone is Bay Area: I tied into the Sunnyvale Birdland easily. Is there a better repeater to use for the SF area? 

The short answer is no, but....

Some repeaters have a second "Owner" or private code for input but I believe they output the same code no-mater which input codes you use.

Most times, repeater owners will use one code for family members as it overrides the public code, which is commonly set to 141.3.

As for making the repeater "yours" by using a code nobody else would know about, no, I do not believe such a thing exists, and the reason is that it would cause havoc with the repeater due to several transmissions coming in on the same frequency. (most times if no traffic is heard, people will key up and talk, even if the green "Busy" RX light is on)

Is there a way to key in another privacy code so you can communicate with a friend without everyone hearing it automatically?

Not through the repeater. Repeater will open when hears it's input PL or DPL and will send it's own PL/DPL when transmitting. Sure you can do it on simplex.

If anyone is Bay Area: I tied into the Sunnyvale Birdland easily. Is there a better repeater to use for the SF area? 

BARN-R1 is open repeater high up above Santa Cruz. It covers the triangle San Jose - Fremont - Redwood City when you're on HT, farther if you're on mobile . I can open it and talk from some places in Livermore with my 40W mobile radio. 

DPL is a squelch control... an alternative to carrier squelch, allowing you to have a more selective group that YOU listen to.

The only way to have "private" communications is to digitally encrypt your signal (and/or modulation).  The equipment you have doesn't have that capability and that method is prohibited on the radio service you wish to use.

EDIT:  Forgot to mention, the DPL code is only required to open the receiver on the repeater.  With a different radio, you could embed multiple squelch codes and even multiple types of squelch coding... however, that only further restricts who YOU hear.  Anyone running an open squelch or carrier squelch will still hear you.

EDIT:  Forgot to mention, the DPL code is only required to open the receiver on the repeater.  With a different radio, you could embed multiple squelch codes and even multiple types of squelch coding... however, that only further restricts who YOU hear.  Anyone running an open squelch or carrier squelch will still hear you.

The repeater will not "pass through" whatever tone the receiver requires (CTCSS or DPL). A separate tone generator is used on the transmit side if such tone is required at all. Many repeaters do not transmit any tone at all.

The repeater will not "pass through" whatever tone the receiver requires (CTCSS or DPL). A separate tone generator is used on the transmit side if such tone is required at all. Many repeaters do not transmit any tone at all.

Some repeaters, like the Motorola GR1225, have separate options to pass PL from the rcvr to xmtr or filter the incoming PL and then regenerate it on the output.