#21 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCH569

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:30 PM

That FCC publication strongly implies that part 90 radios may be used on part 95 without specific certification; it also implies that 90/95 dual service certification will continue to be available.

The way I see it, the golden radio is something like the GD-77s -- part 90 certified ham radios.  They'll tune the whole 70cm band, and the 90 cert implies it may be used on GMRS, per that publication.

• WRAM373 - Richard and DeoVindice like this

#22 BoxCar

BoxCar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationArden, NC
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCM737

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:07 AM

The FCC has tested/certified an independent test facility report the radio used for this service meets the technical requirements for emission type, stability and power. It benefits other users of this service by  ensuring radios will not cause undue interference to other users and those in adjacent services.

Frankly, I want to know the real reason why the FCC requires you to use a Type 95 radio for GMRS. Suppose you're a licensed ham AND have your GMRS license. This rule just means I've got to purchase additional radios to lug around. Who is this rule benefiting and why?

There was a petition in 2014 to add exception to the Type 95 rules to ham operators but it failed miserably.

Thanks

• WRAM373 - Richard likes this

Old and wise infers you were once young and stupid

#23 deanq

deanq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQXV961
  • Ham Callsign:KE7CIU

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:13 PM

That FCC publication strongly implies that part 90 radios may be used on part 95 without specific certification; it also implies that 90/95 dual service certification will continue to be available.

I disagree with the part about part 90 radios are "legal" to use for part 95. Their (FCC) statement about the Boufang (sp?) debacle was to make it clear that "IF" a part 90 radio was submitted, it would be considered for part 95, unlike the part 90/frs/ham radios (they won't be considered).

Regardless, I don't think anyone would find fault with using a part 90 radio on GMRS. :) 

• berkinet likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users