Unidentified Sound

taco6513

Have been listening to GMRS channels on scan at my base station. I hear my repeater ID with morris  code. I

am hearing something else. I don't think it is an ID. It is to garbled and to fast. 

What does a data transmission sound like? That is what I think it might be.

Thanks

WRCW870

try to get a recording of the sound and post it here so we can hear what you are talking about. There are many different types of data bursts and even digital modes and interfering signals that can cause odd sounds. For instance, my dash cam seems to interfere with ch 15 causing static with a "click" sound when its on. This should be fixible by adding a filter but Im too lazy to do it.

I agree it sounds like RTTY. only thing is what you heard is all I get. Can't be much data. I would say Semi regular intervals. What does a GPS data transmission from a garmin rino sound like? That would be short. I tried playing back to my moriss code app. Doesn't get anything.

I agree, it is high-speed Morse.  I also copy WQDK421. I'll bet since you are hearing this on a scanner, it is an IF image.  A lot of scanners have an IF frequency between 10.7 and 11.3 MHz, and don't have really great rejection.  A lower image would get you close to 451.400.

Also of note: Using the PARIS method of Morse speed calculation, this code is being generated at exactly 60 WPM.

agreed its a call sign. signal sounds weak at best, as to being an image that's quite possible but I think it sounds like a spur.

I would like to hear that on a receiver w/clean  signal.

to confirm you'll 2 or 3 radios. 2 on their assigned low side freq's and one on the .625 and see if one of them goes out simultaneously. 

It's either an IF image (most likely), intermod, or a transmitter spur (highly unlikely). Most FRS radios I'm familiar with have IF frequencies above 20 MHz, but have pathetic frontends that easily unmute to mixed out-of-band signals. Another receiver with a different IF frequency and a stronger frontend, or a properly configured SDR, can determine the nature of the interference.

That said, 60WPM is way too fast for legal Part 90 identification; Part 90 requires 20-25 WPM.

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted the license holder. They weren't to easy to get in touch with. There radio person said they are on digital and have been since 2009. The FCC ID that was listed above they said doesn't ID. There digital systems don't ID either. He said reporting the interference to the FCC would be a waste of time, because the FCC doesn't care about GMRS . It is not bothering me for say. I did go to OKC earlier this week. Have my MXT400 antenna problem fixed. I heard it in OKC on regular 15 minute intervals. The power on the radio's meter was pegged out. Guess nothing else to do but wonder where it is coming from..... WRCW870   

Kind of surprising to hear.  I had a harmful interference issue not too long ago.  I went to the owner's and they fixed it in a day.  They had patch on the tower and just fixed it.  I would think people would want to have their gear working correctly and not causing interference.

Saying the FCC doesn't care about GMRS is just plain ignorant.  There are groups of volunteers that look for PRS violations and report them to the FCC... and the FCC does take action.

Since the license holder claims they are now digital, you might ask them to whom they sold their old analog system when it was taken out of commission back in '09.  It is possible that it was purchased by an individual, re-programmed to be a GMRS repeater, but the old ID was never re-programmed or taken off.