#21 marcspaz

marcspaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:25 PM

Sounds like a gap waiting to be filled by a motivated and talented individual.

#22 Jones

Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYM541
  • Ham Callsign:KB0HAW

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:00 PM

Just an observation, I do not have an amature license. At the present, I am not planning to get one. I don't know any one with an amature license in my area. Radios don't do much if you don't know any one to talk to.

Perhaps you should contact an area ham, or the ARRL, and ask about local clubs.  A quick search shows 148 licensed ham operators in ZIP code 98671 alone.  There must be SOMEONE to talk with.

#23 Corey

Corey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
  • GMRS Callsign:WQVA593
  • Ham Callsign:KD9HCW

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:14 AM

I've asked this before.
Why can't somebody make a GMRS mobile radio that is 25 to 40 watts, works like we want for $150? And is part 95 certified?

1. Clean, on frequency emissions.

2. Wide or narrow band. (Narrow band to work best with bubblepack radios.)

3. Split pl tones for tx and rx. Or just squelch.

4. Multiple channels for the same repeater channel to allow preprogramming of pl tones for a trip.

This doesn't sound like rocket science.

Just an observation, I do not have an amature license. At the present, I am not planning to get one. I don't know any one with an amature license in my area. Radios don't do much if you don't know any one to talk to

You are asking a lot for 150 bucks, quality components and engineering cost money. The small profit margin would require every GMRS license holder in the US to purchase several 150 dollar radios just to recover the engineering costs let alone the rest of the expense of bringing a product to market. Its simple economics and GMRS is to little of a market share to invest in.

• Logan5, kb2ztx, n4gix and 2 others like this

Just My $.02

Corey

Midwest GMRS

https://mwgmrs.com

#24 berkinet

berkinet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYR510
  • Ham Callsign:WB6TAE

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:23 AM

....every GMRS license holder in the US to purchase several 150 dollar radios just to recover the engineering costs let alone the rest of the expense of bringing a product to market....

Well, let's see. If every active GMRS licensee  (the FCC says there are 56,338 of us) bought 1 radio at $150 ea. that would net $8.4M. Then, let's assume retailer profit is 40% (66% markup).  That leave $100 per radio ($5.4M total) to the manufacturer (we won't worry about any wholesalers, etc. here).  

Now, I'll take a wild guess and say it would cost $200k to design a radio from scratch (I.e. not base it on any existing product) and another easy $200k to setup the manufacturing capability.  That brings the manufacturer's gross income down to an even $5M.

Next, let's guess each radio costs $50 to manufacture, and another $10 to box, warehouse and ship.  That is a cool $2.8M and the manufacturer is now down to $2.2M. Note that if this was the only product of its type, the manufacturer's costs would be much higher.

Next, in order to get 56,000 people to buy this radio you have to advertise. Easily $0.5M and throw in another $0.5M for promotion, trade shows, etc. Now we are down to $1.2M. Taxes, overhead, retirement plans, health insurance would likely add another $2M and we end up with a nice profit of $1,000,000.00  IF every single GMRS licensee actually bought one. The real number is likely to be under 10%. But, let's be generous and say it would be 25%.  So, after all this work the net profit is going to be around $200,000 and would result in a totally saturated market for years to come. And, don't forget you have to either pay off your investors or the bank, or have had the cash to finance this on your own.

And, THAT is why you do not have the perfect GMRS radio being sold today for $150.

• Corey, Elkhunter521 and BTombaugh like this

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

-- Marcus Aurelius

#25 Elkhunter521

Elkhunter521

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationWashougal Washington
  • GMRS Callsign:Ask

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:38 AM

Ahh, I knew there was a reason. I was afraid there was a logical reason.

I guess i'll have to go back to when I was a kid.

Two tin cans, two buttons and a tight string.
  • n4gix, berkinet and pamuth like this
Be vewy vewy quiet.
I'm listening to my wadio!

#26 Corey

Corey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
  • GMRS Callsign:WQVA593
  • Ham Callsign:KD9HCW

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:34 PM

As a side thought, if GMRS is something you enjoy and plan to keep using save you penneys and purchase a new part 90 radio with real features and the ability to program 1000 channels any way you like. Yes these radios can be priced from 300 to 800 but well worth it. I have several HAM rigs in the 800 to 3000 range, an Aeroflex service monitor that costs me many thousands, its my hobby and I invested it. I would love to see anybody find 1 case of the FCC tracking down somebody and issuing a fine for using part 90 gear because its not going to happen. Calls to the FCC will get you a response like, so long as we are not investigating you for other violations your part 90 radio is just fine. I have run into FCC field officers at commercial tower sites and have addressed the question in person showing them my GMRS setup (Motorola XPR5550 with handheld control) and the response was, that's a nice radio. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR plain and simple, cheap is cheap for a reason.....

• kb2ztx, berkinet, Elkhunter521 and 2 others like this

Just My $.02

Corey

Midwest GMRS

https://mwgmrs.com

#27 Elkhunter521

Elkhunter521

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:28 PM

Hey, the two tin cans worked. Hickam AFB, 1964. Had two tree forts. (No, not sissy tree houses) other side of the alley, 150 ft apart. They worked!
Dang, tried to get them to bedroom windows, couldn't keep the string tight.
  • Corey likes this
Be vewy vewy quiet.

#28 Elkhunter521

Elkhunter521

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:29 PM

High tech stuff!
Be vewy vewy quiet.

#29 marcspaz

marcspaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:29 PM

LOL!

#30 revclstoner

revclstoner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationBeaumont, TX
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCN926
  • Ham Callsign:KI5FKE

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:32 PM

Well, I'll put my GMRS-V1 to the side and continue using my XTS3000 and TK-372G.

Cedric L. Stoner, KI5FKE/WRCN926

Beaumont, TX

#31 kb2ztx

kb2ztx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationEast Coast
  • GMRS Callsign:WQLY948
  • Ham Callsign:KB2ZTX

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:01 AM

I think Corey hit the nail on the head. You get what you pay for. I see this in my field for work daily. Customers put in a radio system on cheap then complain. It doesn't matter if it a garage GMRS repeater of a full blown countywide TLMR system. If you cheap out on features, option, subscribers, shelters, etc stuff will not meet your expectations. I have some cheap GMRS mobile radios and use them for what they are, being a cheap radio I can throw out. My go to radios cost over $5000 each but I use them for public safety along with my hobby stuff. There are alot of reasonable priced part 90 radios on the market and with some education can be very nice GMRS rigs. 

• Corey, berkinet, marcspaz and 1 other like this

#32 marcspaz

marcspaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 12:12 PM

I have some cheap GMRS mobile radios and use them for what they are, being a cheap radio I can throw out.

LOL  I was thinking I was the only one who thinks like this.  I have a Midland MXT400 and 2 BTech handhelds that I use for spotting while offroad and other outdoor activities with an extremely high risk of falling in mud, getting full of dust, dropped, etc.  They only need to work for 100 yards, max, and for less than a minute at a time.  I'm not interested in getting a $800-$1000 worth of quality mobile gear full of coal dust.

• Elkhunter521 likes this

#33 ChrisL

ChrisL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:wrad287

Posted 05 June 2019 - 12:24 PM

The radio will scan through the tone codes and digital codes while receiving, to find a match.  The digital code scan is almost instant, but the TSQL is a bit slower.  Once you put it in DPL scan mode, it will continue to scan until the correct squelch is found.  However, unless someone is transmitting for 15 to 20 seconds straight, TSQL may take a couple of transmissions before the tone is found.  In my opinion, less than 30 seconds isn't bad.

Yes, you can run split DPL methods on transmit and receive.

Mr. Spaz,

I went ahead and purchased the 50x1 mainly because of the ctcss scanning ability but I am not able to get it to scan. I reread your post and looked at Miklors site prior to writing this to see if there is any kind of instruction but I haven't found anything. I tried researching BTECH 50x2 radio since they are similar but was unsuccessful at finding an answer or video tutorial.

Supposedly when it scans a "ct"  will appear on the screen but have not been able to make it happen. Hope I made sense.

Thanks for your time.

Chris

#34 marcspaz

marcspaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 12:37 PM

Hey Chris,

You have to be sure that TSQL or DCS have been previously enabled/activated as a separate configuration process, first.  If the DPL type you want to scan through is not enabled prior to following the guidance on pages 38 and 39 of the owners manual, it will not work.

#35 splitses

splitses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:20 PM

Mr. Spaz,

I went ahead and purchased the 50x1 mainly because of the ctcss scanning ability but I am not able to get it to scan. I reread your post and looked at Miklors site prior to writing this to see if there is any kind of instruction but I haven't found anything. I tried researching BTECH 50x2 radio since they are similar but was unsuccessful at finding an answer or video tutorial.

Supposedly when it scans a "ct"  will appear on the screen but have not been able to make it happen. Hope I made sense.

Thanks for your time.

Chris

If it's like the UV-50X2 - It also won't scan if it is not actively receiving a signal - make sure it is receiving a signal; and first "enable" the tone mode like marcspaz said (such as set the tone to 67.0 then hit scan once the tone mode was enabled)

#36 thames

thames

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 11:46 PM

I just received my 50X1 and am having issues communicating with my local repeater. Hoping I could get some advice here. Here are the symptoms and configs...

My local repeater is on 550 @ xxx.0Mhz Tone in/out

Channel 27 is set to 462.550

T-CTC is xxx.0

R-CTC is xxx.0

When I transmit to 462.550 I see the radio go from 462.550 to 467.550 when PTT is keyed. I see 'DeC:xxx.0' below the channel quadrants. My local repeater has a courtesy tone but I do not receive the courtesy tone when I Tx to it although I do hear traffic when people are active. My SWR with the 50X1 is 1.15 to 1.2. What's interesting is that I am able to hit this 550 repeater with my MXT400 using the same antenna and setup with no problems and a low SWR (1.15). I am also able to hit another repeater on 650 with the 50X1 successfully and hear the courtesy tone and was able to make contacts. This leaves me to believe the unit is programmed wrong or defective...

Additionally I am seeing that settings may not be storing correctly. See the videos below of me attempting to troubleshoot with BTECH support.

Factory Reset and reconfigure per instructions from support: https://youtu.be/E2uHXAyBnP4

Setting Storing Issue: https://youtu.be/ovlJnxGSQHg

Any advice is appreciated!

#37 marcspaz

marcspaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 01:15 AM

I just received my 50X1 and am having issues communicating with my local repeater. Hoping I could get some advice here. Here are the symptoms and configs...

My local repeater is on 550 @ xxx.0Mhz Tone in/out

Channel 27 is set to 462.550

T-CTC is xxx.0

R-CTC is xxx.0

When I transmit to 462.550 I see the radio go from 462.550 to 467.550 when PTT is keyed. I see 'DeC:xxx.0' below the channel quadrants. My local repeater has a courtesy tone but I do not receive the courtesy tone when I Tx to it although I do hear traffic when people are active. My SWR with the 50X1 is 1.15 to 1.2. What's interesting is that I am able to hit this 550 repeater with my MXT400 using the same antenna and setup with no problems and a low SWR (1.15). I am also able to hit another repeater on 650 with the 50X1 successfully and hear the courtesy tone and was able to make contacts. This leaves me to believe the unit is programmed wrong or defective...

Additionally I am seeing that settings may not be storing correctly. See the videos below of me attempting to troubleshoot with BTECH support.

Factory Reset and reconfigure per instructions from support: https://youtu.be/E2uHXAyBnP4

Setting Storing Issue: https://youtu.be/ovlJnxGSQHg

Any advice is appreciated!

I watched your videos after reading your post.  It looks like you are doing everything correctly.  I have good reason to believe your radio is defective.

I did comment on your thread, asking if you tried to program it via CHIRP of if you are only using the front panel programing options.  It's not likely that CHIRP will help, but it will all but guaranty its not something you are doing.

• thames likes this

#38 thames

thames

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 01:27 AM

I watched your videos after reading your post.  It looks like you are doing everything correctly.  I have good reason to believe your radio is defective.

I did comment on your thread, asking if you tried to program it via CHIRP of if you are only using the front panel programing options.  It's not likely that CHIRP will help, but it will all but guaranty its not something you are doing.

I replied in the other thread. Thanks again!

• marcspaz likes this

#39 Elkhunter521

Elkhunter521

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:37 AM

Hey Mr. Marcspaz,

You did a most outstanding job on the evaluation of the GMRS-50X1. Proof of this is that You are now the go to man for this radio.

I did buy one in spite of the reviews. However, I run it at 25watts. Without any test equipment I can only say it works great out of the box. I have a Midland 400, & 275 and all reports have it sounding much louder with more clarity than the Midlands.

Tnhanks again for the review.

Keith T.
  • berkinet and 498 like this
Be vewy vewy quiet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users