Hi all. Well, I am a newbie also. Been in radios for years just never got an GMRS license till now. Very interested in learning all there is to learn. I live in Concord, North Carolina and I've found a few repeaters but not sure how to get linked to them. There is one in my immediate area of a frequency of 462.700. It says it's an open repeater but I'm just not sure how to hit it. There is a CSQ of 146.2HZ so do I have to program this in, and if so, is this an transmit or receive, or both? thank you for any help. My name is Bryan and call is WREL220.

Yes, you will have to program your encode tone as 146.2Hz for the repeater to retransmit your transmissions. If you program your decode tone as 146.2Hz, you will only hear traffic using that tone. If you leave your decode tone as CSQ, you will hear all traffic on the frequency. This could conceivably include bubble pack users talking simplex on the repeater output freq, so I'd recommend programming both encode and decode tones.

Yes, you will have to program your encode tone as 146.2Hz for the repeater to retransmit your transmissions. If you program your decode tone as 146.2Hz, you will only hear traffic using that tone. If you leave your decode tone as CSQ, you will hear all traffic on the frequency. This could conceivably include bubble pack users talking simplex on the repeater output freq, so I'd recommend programming both encode and decode tones.

Just as an FYI... kinda related...

Today, for the first time ever, I found a repeater that did not pass through tones, nor transmit it's own tone on the output.

Just as an FYI... kinda related...

Today, for the first time ever, I found a repeater that did not pass through tones, nor transmit it's own tone on the output.

Many repeaters offer three choices for PL (etc.) output:

a) generate the selected tone on the output.

B) pass the received tone through to the output (usually about 3db down).

c) filter out the received tone altogether.

Depending on the radio and the programming/settings interface, you might be able to combine some of the above options. For example, pass-through received PL and add another PL on output. Or filter out the received PL and add again on the output. YMMV

• 1 year later...