Baofeng UV-50X2

ljones135

Well, looking at the specs on this radio from BTech, it will Tx and Rx from 136 to 174 on VHF. Since MURS runs from 151.82 to 154.60, it would be covered. Note however, MURS radios must be certified (Part95-J) and this radio is only certified under Part-15.  See the official FCC certification report for more information.  To answer your second question, If you look at page 22 in the manual (also available on the BTech web site) it looks like Receive and Transmit CTCSS are set independently.

Also note: while they proudly claim BTECH Radios are Designed in the USA. while it is not, per-se a problem, the radio is most certainly not manufactured in the USA. Also, it is very likely the term designed refers to the software/firmware and not the radio hardware.

And... If you are not already familiar with miklor.com, you should check them out. I am not convinced their reviews are impartial. But, they do provide good information and are an excellent resource.  They have a review of the UV-50X2 from 2017.

Hey Berkinet,

Thanks for the info. Is it possible to program the UV-50X1 with more GMRS channel configurations than just 30. The manual isn't quite clear enough for me on the programming of memory slots. What I'd like to be able to do is store into memory all of the repeaters that I come cross in my travels across the country, some of which are 2 CTCSS coded. I currently have a Midland MXT400, while I like that radio, I don't want a duplicate.

Hey Berkinet,

Thanks for the info. Is it possible to program the UV-50X1 with more GMRS channel configurations than just 30. The manual isn't quite clear enough for me on the programming of memory slots. What I'd like to be able to do is store into memory all of the repeaters that I come cross in my travels across the country, some of which are 2 CTCSS coded. I currently have a Midland MXT400, while I like that radio, I don't want a duplicate.

Sorry. That question is above my pay grade as I don't own that radio.  Although, based on the GMRSV1 I would guess that there are only a specific number of channels that can be programmed for Tx & Rx. I am sure @marcspaz or someone else with hands on experience will have the answer.

I have the 25X2 and you can store multiple configurations for repeaters. The problem comes with trying to keep them all straight in your mind. Naming the different configurations isn't difficult, names are easy using CHIRP and even the front panel method isn't too onerous. I just wonder how many you plan on storing. If the frequencies are for cities and areas you frequently visit there is a good possibility there may be multiple sites within the same general location. You would do best to only pick one site per area based on the amount of traffic carried by repeaters in that general area.

Box Car,

I only have about 10 to program in. If they weren't running split codes, I wouldn't bother with the UV-50X2, I'd just use my Midland MXT400. And as I have not attempted to use the repeaters in the Rocky Mountains before, I'm not sure which one I'll be able to hit. If I don't run into any trouble on the old mining roads in the mountains, I won't need any repeater. That's the true goal! LOL!