7 replies to this topic

#1 TonyAldo

TonyAldo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCQ990

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:48 PM

I've finally went out and got my self a starter radio. But looking at that tiny antenna they ship with the radio .. I feel the need to upgrade. I'm going to go with the Midland NMO mag mount. But I'm not sure what antenna to go with. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

#2 RickW

RickW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Locationwestern wisconsin

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:30 PM

Some time back I had posted my experience with four different antennas from an intentionally marginal location which was several miles from the home base and hundreds of feet lower in elevation, using Midland MXT400's at each end (running at mid power setting) and and with a GP-9 2m/440 ham antenna at 40 feet on our ridge top farm base location. The GP-9 is not optimum for GMRS due to being quite a bit off the design frequency and has nearly 2:1 SWR on the 467 channels but reasonable SWR on the 462 channels helped by the coax loss of course. Results surprised me somewhat:

- 2m/440 ham antenna retuned for GMRS generally showed one bar on transmit and receive

- 6" Midland stock mag mount quarter wave showed two bars and much better signal copy

- so called 3 dB Midland NMO antenna showed three bars

- so called 6 dB Midland NMO antenna showed four bars

I read that at least one person had problems with the 6 dB antenna melting the center coil, but so far we have not had that happen with only limited transmission time when mobile.

We use Midland magnetic NMO mounts on our vehicles. My wife has the MXT115 with the 3 dB antenna on top of her Equinox SUV and I have the MXT400 with the 6 dB antenna on my Malibu rear trunk lid so that we can clear the garage door. Range between vehicles is several miles and not that much different than when we used simplex on 2 meters when we use ham equipment. 

• TonyAldo likes this

#3 quarterwave

quarterwave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationOh-io
  • GMRS Callsign:On-File

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:06 PM

Best antenna we ever used in commercial application (I worked for Motorola years ago) was a quarterwave. I have one on my Blazer roof connected to a 40w M1225 and it works great. Although, I do recommend hole mounting versus mag. 

I have Motorola Spectrum 5dB, ASP 5 and 3dB sticks too....never got any more out of them on a NMO hole mount. Quarterwave always matches better too. 

#4 TonyAldo

TonyAldo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCQ990

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:29 AM

Some time back I had posted my experience with four different antennas from an intentionally marginal location which was several miles from the home base and hundreds of feet lower in elevation, using Midland MXT400's at each end (running at mid power setting) and and with a GP-9 2m/440 ham antenna at 40 feet on our ridge top farm base location. The GP-9 is not optimum for GMRS due to being quite a bit off the design frequency and has nearly 2:1 SWR on the 467 channels but reasonable SWR on the 462 channels helped by the coax loss of course. Results surprised me somewhat:

- 2m/440 ham antenna retuned for GMRS generally showed one bar on transmit and receive

- 6" Midland stock mag mount quarter wave showed two bars and much better signal copy

- so called 3 dB Midland NMO antenna showed three bars

- so called 6 dB Midland NMO antenna showed four bars

I read that at least one person had problems with the 6 dB antenna melting the center coil, but so far we have not had that happen with only limited transmission time when mobile.

We use Midland magnetic NMO mounts on our vehicles. My wife has the MXT115 with the 3 dB antenna on top of her Equinox SUV and I have the MXT400 with the 6 dB antenna on my Malibu rear trunk lid so that we can clear the garage door. Range between vehicles is several miles and not that much different than when we used simplex on 2 meters when we use ham equipment. 

The 6dB antenna it is then. Thank you.

#5 marcspaz

marcspaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:33 PM

The 6dB antenna it is then. Thank you.

I have 3 of the Motorola 6DB gain antenna's on 3 MXT400's in 3 different trucks... all the best performers of all the antenna's I have tried.  I have been through 4 different ones as well. The 1/4 wave is also a great choice, but the Motorola 6DB just works better for me.

#6 Downs

Downs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationHunt County Texas
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYH678
  • Ham Callsign:KK6RBI

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:43 PM

Those motorola antennas look lot like Browning antennas.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

A pile of "cheap Chinese radios", BF888s, UV5Rs, UV82s, KGUV8Ds, BFF8HP, UV50X2, and a few "good" radios, Yeasu FT310 (airband/nav), Yeasu FT90R (no longer in mobile service used as a base radio)

#7 taco6513

taco6513

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSooner State
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCW870

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:52 AM

I have had 3 of the 6bd gain Midland antenna's melt the load coil. I am not buying any more of these.

MARCSPAZ please send me information on buying the Motorola 6db antenna's.

Thanks

WRCW870

• Downs likes this

#8 marcspaz

marcspaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:48 AM

I have had 3 of the 6bd gain Midland antenna's melt the load coil. I am not buying any more of these.

MARCSPAZ please send me information on buying the Motorola 6db antenna's.

Thanks

WRCW870

I bought all of my working gear from Motorola.  The first round of hardware came from Amazon, and I think they were counterfeit. 

https://midlandusa.c...b-gain-antenna/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users