TK880H KPG49D Help program

nyc787

Question

For simplex operation, you should have the same frequency for RX and TX. This means you will transmit and receive on the same frequency. Remember, the last 8 channels in the GMRS allocation are repeater outputs. It is completely legal to talk simplex on these frequencies. For repeater operation, you will need to use two different frequencies. RX will be the 462.#### frequency, TX will be 467.####. The last four numbers of both frequencies should be the same.

I was looking at GMRS repeater directory and it lists output frequencies only like 462.550 or 462.725. Does it mean I just add an extra zero because the last 4 must be matching on Tx and Rx? So I would program repeater as Rx 462.5550 and Tx. 467.5500 ?

If repeater has access tone and they set it to say Tone D754N do I have to program the given repeater Tone to Rx and Tx frequency? So the rule is last 4 digits on Rx and Tx must match and also the PL/Tones must match on input/output?

... lists output frequencies only like 462.550 or 462.725. Does it mean I just add an extra zero because the last 4 must be matching on Tx and Rx? So I would program repeater as Rx 462.5550 and Tx. 467.5500 ?

That is correct for this band.  If it only shows 3 digits behind the decimal, and if that third digit is 0 or 5, you may assume that the last digit will be zero.  You can also assume that if the third digit is 2 or 7, then the last digit will be five. (ie 462.637 would be 462.6375)

If repeater has access tone and they set it to say Tone D754N do I have to program the given repeater Tone to Rx and Tx frequency? So the rule is last 4 digits on Rx and Tx must match and also the PL/Tones must match on input/output?

PL tones quite often are the same on input and output, but that is NOT ALWAYS the case, and you may need different tones for RX and TX.  If you want to listen to all traffic, it is safe to put no tone on RX, and use a TX only tone to access most repeaters. - but then you will hear EVERYTHING on the frequency whether on the repeater or not, even bubble-pack radios.

On 8/13/2019 at 8:46 AM, WRAK968 said:

"im having an issue and i know its a simple thing but i cant find the cure. i have "GMRS FL",  "GMRS GA." and "FRS." groups programed with several freqs in each group. i can change the "group" from the radio panel, but i can not change the "channel name." when i press the "c" or "d" button nothing happens. i get a tone, but nothing else. i went into the software, kpg49d and checked the "key setting," and all seems to be right. how do i change the channels inside a group? thanks for the help.

I don't have the radio but I do have the software installed. I'm going to make a few guess for things to look at and or try.

I looked at the "Optional Features" -> "Optional Features 1" menu. What do you have entered for the "Group Name text length"? This Kenwood radio the total text length you can display for this model is 10 characters. Any text for the group name comes out of that total. So, for example, your group name text length is set for 3 then then max text length for channel name is 7. No matter how you set it up the total between the two can't exceed 10 characters this radio.

The "Display Character" should be set for "Channel Name".

I also noticed in the key assignment panel the "SCN Switch" should be set to "None". You should NOT be using any kind of scrambler for GMRS or FRS. If you somehow got the radio into the scrambler mode the two keys "c" and "d" work as the scrambler code select. That might be another reason for the funny operation.

I copied my answer from the other thread:

It shows the group name? On my TK-880 (v2.0, though) the panel always shows channel name. Also, you can reprogram channel up/down buttons, so make sure that your C and D, or whatever you expect to scroll through channels, are programmed to do so.

Edit:

I just looked at the Menu -> Edit -> Optional Features -> Optional Features 1

Mine are programmed like this:
Group Name Text Length: None
Sub LCD display: Group number
Display Character: Channel Name