Is it open?

iadams

Near me, there is a repeater on 575 with a PL of 141.3

It is not in the database.   I have never been able to raise the owner to ask about it.  It is assumed closed/private until otherwise given permission?

Interestingly, there are other repeaters in the greater (60-90 mile) area on the same frequency, split and tone.  It is very common that someone brings up this repeater when using the other ones.  I do not hear any repeater action on other frequencies.  Is there something about 575 that people tend to gravitate towards it?

All repeaters are privately owned. The only way to know for sure if you must ask for permission to use it or not, is to find the owner and ask. Some owners use sites such as this one to do unofficial coordination, to notify licensed operators what the purpose and the status of the repeater is. However, not all owners do. Your best bet would be to listen for a license ID to be transmitted or try calling the owner of the repeater on the simplex (input) frequency.

Not sure why there is so much traffic on that frequency in your area. The only channel that I am aware of that has nationwide recognition is 20. I believe it is called the Open Repeater Initiative. You put your radio on repeater pair 20 with a standardized "travel tone" and as you travel around, you can use the repeaters that are using that combination.