Photo

Which antenna, Nagoya NA-771, Nagoya NA-701C, or something else?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bkreb

Bkreb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCX912

Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:20 PM

I currently have a couple of BTech GMRS-V1s. I bought them for emergencies but sometimes use them on trips and outings. I'd like to increase the reception and range a little so I'm guessing a better antenna will help somewhat. BaoFeng recomends the Nagoya NA-701C for the GMRS-V1, but I would think the Nagoya NA-771 would be better overall because it's almost twice as long. The specs for each are almost the same, but I'm not really a tech guy, so comparing the numbers doesn't help me. Any thoughts? Any other antennas I should look at? Thanks. 

#2 Jones

Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYM541
  • Ham Callsign:KB0HAW

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:52 PM

Longer is not better in this case. GMRS is UHF. A quarter wavelength is about 6 inches.

The NA-701c is a dual band antenna designed for commercial bands, and GMRS. It will work, but you really do not need a dual-band antenna.

The NA-771 is a dual ham band antenna, Being longer, It will do better on VHF 2-meter ham band, but not as good on GMRS, which is out of its operating range.

If you want greater range, use an external antenna on your roof, or on the top of your vehicle.  For portable operation, you aren't going to get much more range with any rubber-duck antenna - the factory one will do just fine.

• n4gix, kidphc and mire like this

#3 kidphc

kidphc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationPotomac, MD
  • GMRS Callsign:WRDD287
  • Ham Callsign:KC3NSR

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:45 AM

Longer is not better in this case. GMRS is UHF. A quarter wavelength is about 6 inches.

The NA-701c is a dual band antenna designed for commercial bands, and GMRS. It will work, but you really do not need a dual-band antenna.

The NA-771 is a dual ham band antenna, Being longer, It will do better on VHF 2-meter ham band, but not as good on GMRS, which is out of its operating range.

Can verify this... Tried both on my 2m/70cm and my Btech GMRS-v1. The 771 simply doesn't work as well on the Btech. Works great on my cheap chinese 2m radio.

Tried the different combinations with counterpoises and without as well as different lengths. Not so great for gmrs worked much better with the 2m/70cm radio. Just ripped off the counter poise of the 2m/70cm radio since with a 771 and counterpoise it was an annoying radio to walk around and use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users