Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale Florida
  • GMRS Callsign:WQQT630
  • Ham Callsign:KK4PRC

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:26 PM

I'm fixing to terminate and install a brand new run of Heliax LDF4-50a. The comscope prep tool I ordered, did not include a coring tool, how important is coring and can it be done by hand? I know a few of you have worked with this hardline and will have first hand experience, I could use some help. Please Advise..

#2 Jones

Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYM541
  • Ham Callsign:KB0HAW

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:45 PM

By "coring", if you mean removal of part of the inner foam dielectric to get the connector on, It's a pain, but it can be done by hand with a carpet knife or other razor knife if you are very careful.  I've installed LDF4-50 type N connectors before with nothing but a hacksaw, box-cutter, needle nosed pliers, soldering gun, and a pair of wrenches.  ..and you need a very skinny, or thin wrench to get on the body of the connector.  A high quality Craftsman or Snap-On wrench won't fit.

• Logan5 and kb2ztx like this

#3 mainehazmt

mainehazmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQNI 696
  • Ham Callsign:KC1DRW

Posted Yesterday, 02:09 PM

..and you need a very skinny, or thin wrench to get on the body of the connector.  A high quality Craftsman or Snap-On wrench won't fit.

Sometimes a good ol harbor freight wrench and a grinder come in handy to make those specialty tools

#4 Logan5

Logan5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale Florida
  • GMRS Callsign:WQQT630
  • Ham Callsign:KK4PRC

Posted Yesterday, 09:45 PM

Sometimes a good ol harbor freight wrench and a grinder come in handy to make those specialty tools

LOL, yea I was thinking the same. but after playing with one end I realized how different it is than LMR600, anyway a Ham friend is supposed to drop by one day and help and show how. I have 4 terminations including the jumper inside the cabinet. I am in no hurry, so it will happen when the time is right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users