New LDF4-50a termination and install.

Logan5

Question

I'm fixing to terminate and install a brand new run of Heliax LDF4-50a. The comscope prep tool I ordered, did not include a coring tool, how important is coring and can it be done by hand? I know a few of you have worked with this hardline and will have first hand experience, I could use some help. Please Advise..

3 answers to this question

By "coring", if you mean removal of part of the inner foam dielectric to get the connector on, It's a pain, but it can be done by hand with a carpet knife or other razor knife if you are very careful.  I've installed LDF4-50 type N connectors before with nothing but a hacksaw, box-cutter, needle nosed pliers, soldering gun, and a pair of wrenches.  ..and you need a very skinny, or thin wrench to get on the body of the connector.  A high quality Craftsman or Snap-On wrench won't fit.

Sometimes a good ol harbor freight wrench and a grinder come in handy to make those specialty tools

LOL, yea I was thinking the same. but after playing with one end I realized how different it is than LMR600, anyway a Ham friend is supposed to drop by one day and help and show how. I have 4 terminations including the jumper inside the cabinet. I am in no hurry, so it will happen when the time is right.