Programming a TK880

WREM441

Question

Hello Everyone, I'm James, WREM441, and I'm new to GMRS. I stopped by the NGGMRS booth at a local hamfest and after talking to the very kind folks I decided to "take the plunge". I'm also a ham, KF4AQO. I've ordered a programming cable. I haven't ordered the Kenwood KPG-49D programming software hoping that CHIRP will work. 

There is my short history regarding GMRS. Here's the question, which programming software do I need to program my TK-880 radios?

Thanks.

Oh, I've almost completed my base station antenna. I'll be on the air once that's completed.

Depending on the firmware, the KPG-49D should be what you need. There is a firmware that requires passport software. This can be determined by watching the screen as you turn on the radio. If you have firmware 1.5xxx chances are you have passport firmware. This is easily fixed by reflashing the newest firmware through Fpro which is included with the 49D software. As far as I am aware (And I may be wrong on this) the 880's are incompatible with CHiRP.

I think I got my 49D from hamfiles for free. If you have an account there you should be able to download the file there. If you need the firmware feel free to message me and I'll send it over.

Congrats on getting the best radio out there for GMRS!

Chirp won't work. It would be great if it were added at some point, but KPG49D is readily available free, and works well. Look for version 4.xx for Windows. I have a Windows 10 machine and it works fine except for the help files, which you don't necessarily need anyway. I originally started with Version 6.xx, thinking the later version would be better. But nope, it was DOS only.

Once you have the software, it will also work (with a different cable) on the TK-380 uhf HT.

And btw, the TK-880 can be easily programmed with freqs down to 440 or maybe even lower. The software will warn you that it's out of range, but it will accept it. Most radios are deaf below 446 or so though, and the vco also loses lock. There are a couple of simple adjustments to make it work down there while not sacrificing operation up to 470.

The TK-380 works on 440 without needing any adjustments.

Welcome to the forum.

I appreciate the help I've received thus far. I have working programming software. I ordered a cable but it didn't work even though the radio model was listed in the description. If you have a programming cable that works with the programming software, please share the model/type/etc. of the cable so I can buy one.

Thanks.

It takes a KPG-46. Here is the one I bought, and the seller I bought it from: https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Kenwood-Programming-Cable-TK-780-TK-880-KPG-46p/152618254912?hash=item2388c1c240:g:JnkAAOSwytJaBd~n

I've programmed TK-880s, TK-780 and TK-981s with it. Works perfectly. BlueMax49ers stands behind his cables, too.

If you ever decide to get a TK-981 (which I recommend because there are some on ebay now for about the same price as TK-880s) and avail yourself of the 900 MHz repeaters that are in your area, that software and cable will program them too.

There is also a really good network of GMRS repeaters in your area, which I'm sure you are already aware.

I appreciate the help I've received thus far. I have working programming software. I ordered a cable but it didn't work even though the radio model was listed in the description. If you have a programming cable that works with the programming software, please share the model/type/etc. of the cable so I can buy one.

Thanks.

Make sure you have the software set for the correct COM port on your computer, or it will not work.  You may need to go into the computer's hardware manager to determine what COM port is assigned to that cable, but it will likely not be the COM-1 port that the software will try to use by default.  Some of my programming cables come up as COM-3, and at least one comes up as COM-5 on my programming computer.  The software must be set to the correct port to match the cable.  It will not find it automatically.

Thank you Jones. Actually, I didn't get that far. The folders on the install CD that came with the cable didn't have my model listed. The closest model, if I recall, was TK780. I tried this one because TK880 wasn't listed. I tried various folders/programs but none worked.

Any suggestions?

Thank again.

Thank you Jones. Actually, I didn't get that far. The folders on the install CD that came with the cable didn't have my model listed. The closest model, if I recall, was TK780. I tried this one because TK880 wasn't listed. I tried various folders/programs but none worked.

Any suggestions?

Thank again.

780 and 880 are basically the same radio and software, just one is VHF and one UHF. When you install the program, go to Model-Model Information. This will open a small window.

Under Model Type, Select TK880 Mobile

Frequency should be K (450-490)

Format you want Conventional

Options, If you have an ANI board you can select it, Scrambler is not needed.

Now the software is set for the 880 and will let you enter UHF frequencies into it :)

Also note, the same software does the 981 (900 mhz radio) Just select that model radio and your set. Im not sure how the 900 MHz stuff works though as it only seems to let me select "trunking" so you'll need to ask someone else for that. Also if you get an error message about the radio software, and when you turn the radio on you get version 1.5xxxx let me know and Ill send you the correct firmware. Some radios were updated to passport which the kenwood software doesnt like at all. Any other questions feel free to ask :)

780 and 880 are basically the same radio and software, just one is VHF and one UHF. When you install the program, go to Model-Model Information. This will open a small window.

Now the software is set for the 880 and will let you enter UHF frequencies into it :)

Also note, the same software does the 981 (900 mhz radio) Just select that model radio and your set. Im not sure how the 900 MHz stuff works though as it only seems to let me select "trunking" so you'll need to ask someone else for that. Also if you get an error message about the radio software, and when you turn the radio on you get version 1.5xxxx let me know and Ill send you the correct firmware. Some radios were updated to passport which the kenwood software doesnt like at all. Any other questions feel free to ask :)

Yeah, the 981 has to be set to trunking but you can add conventional channels within that format. You also theoretically have to hex edit to get it into the ham band; fortunately however there is a ham .dat file that you can dump in there as a package that includes all of the ham freqs. Then you can go in and edit to add the tx and rx tones you need. Even simpler than programming an 880 once you get your head around it.

Great info - thanks a lot - I'll try this tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Yeah, the 981 has to be set to trunking but you can add conventional channels within that format. You also theoretically have to hex edit to get it into the ham band; fortunately however there is a ham .dat file that you can dump in there as a package that includes all of the ham freqs. Then you can go in and edit to add the tx and rx tones you need. Even simpler than programming an 880 once you get your head around it.

Cool, I also heard there is a section of the 900Mhz band that doesnt need a license, however I cant seem to get anymore info on it. My googlefu sucks so perhaps you have some info?

Cool, I also heard there is a section of the 900Mhz band that doesnt need a license, however I cant seem to get anymore info on it. My googlefu sucks so perhaps you have some info?

Part 15; same 902-928 as the amateur radio band but at very low power and cannot interfere with any other service (including ham radio). Maximum field strength of 50 uV/M at 3M which is probably about 50-100 milliwatts. Some cordless phones use 902-928. Best way to stay out of trouble is to use the middle of the band since most ham radio use is in the top and bottom 1 MHz.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/15.249

I've seen comments on Youtube and elsewhere to the effect that anyone can just get a 900 MHz mobile or handheld radio and legally start transmitting without a license. That is completely untrue.

I appreciate the help I've received. However, I'm still having problems. When I plug in the cable I get the message "USB serial controller pending". I never get past this. When I run the program, I get the message "cannot load data file". I also can't determine what com port the cable is using.

I realize these problems may be user error. I've been wrestling with this for about a week.

Please (continue to) help.

Thanks.

I appreciate the help I've received. However, I'm still having problems. When I plug in the cable I get the message "USB serial controller pending". I never get past this. When I run the program, I get the message "cannot load data file". I also can't determine what com port the cable is using.

I realize these problems may be user error. I've been wrestling with this for about a week.

Please (continue to) help.

Thanks.

What cable do you have, and what version of Windows are you running?

You are using the Version 4.02 software linked above, correct?

What cable do you have, - Maxton Data

and what version of Windows are you running- XP

You are using the Version 4.02 software linked above, correct- Correct

Also - 

Device Manager on your PC, the USB cable will show up - it does show up - not drivers are installed - therefore I do not see any cable settings

The programing software has 2 choices for com ports 1 and 2.

I'm not giving up.

You will need to install the USB drivers if you are using a USB-RS232 converter. Each converter is different. Likewise, if you purchased a USB cable there is likely a built in USB-seriel converter built in, youll need to contact the person who sold it to you for advice on where to find the drivers

You are using the Version 4.02 software linked above, correct- Correct

Also - 

Device Manager on your PC, the USB cable will show up - it does show up - not drivers are installed - therefore I do not see any cable settings

I'm not giving up.

I've heard of some issues with some cables. Maxton should be a good one, though. That appears to be what KJ6ZWL (Blue Max 49ers) sells.

I would probably ask the seller about the driver issue. Mine works fine with Windows 10, but XP should be even more compatible.

... ...

Device Manager on your PC, the USB cable will show up -it does show up - not drivers are installed - therefore I do not see any cable settings

I think you wanted to say: no drivers are installed If that is the case, you can find the drivers on Maxton's web site.

Once you have the drivers installed you should be able to edit the device in the Device Manager and select the appropriate COM port. You would need to set it to 1 or 2, and then make the corollary change in the programming software.

OTOH, maybe you do not actually have a Maxton cable. The 2 most common USB chip sets are FTDI and Prolific. FTDI drivers are available from their web site. Prolific drivers are also available, but because that chipset is commonly forged, the Prolific drivers may not actually work if your cable uses forged chips.

You can determine the actual chip set in use through the Device Manager. What you want to look for are the Vendor ID and Product ID. They will probably be shown as 2 digit hex numbers. Like a9ac. For more information and specific instructions for Windows, see this web page.