Used vs. New

berkinet

There have been several discussions recently about buying new vs. used equipment for GMRS.  Since those discussions have been pretty complete, I won't duplicate them here. However, I would like to address one point that seems to get lost, concerns about quality.

Many people seem to avoid used equipment under the belief used equipment will be more likely to have problems. If you are comparing the same brand and manufacturing quality, that assumption may be correct. However, when comparing used commercial equipment (Kenwood, Motorola, Vertex, Icom...) to cheap imports (Baofeng, B-Tech, Woxun, Retevis, etc.) it is a different story. Glancing through this forum and in particular Amazoin reviews, you will find many cases of brand new CCRs that had to be replaced. Even with Midland branded gear, several users have reported the need for 2 or three replacements before finally getting something they were happy with.  In addition, you are probably more likely to get good service from a reputable eBay seller than some of the CCRs bought on Amazon and elsewhere.

So, if concerns about reliability and quality of used equipment is your sole reason for looking at new radios, you might want to reconsider.

Just one more thing to keep in mind when you start looking for equipment.

Yes, agreed 100%. I run used EVX radios and I haven't had any issues.  Obviously asking questions beforehand helps a long way, sometimes the radios are new, but they were opened for a customer that ended up going a different route. Many times is upgrade, upgrading to digital, etc... newer radio, different brand. In general the commercial gear if hasn't been sunk in the ocean should work very well even used.

G.