Call sign ID?

taco6513

Station ending in 8-7-0, Could you repeat your call sign please? This is WQYM-541.  I think you're on the right track sir.

Station ending in Golf Xray Delta, QRZ?  This is KB0HAW.  I think you're on the right track sir.

KI5GXD, from KB0HAW - Fine business sir. Thanks for the call, and 73.

In fact, the only identification you are required to give is your own call-sign. How, or even whether, you identify the called party, if there even is one (CQ, CQ, CQ...), is up to you.  Since you usually identify your own station at the start of a transmission, your call-sign should be given before any other information. Hams commonly call other stations by call-sign and on GMRS it is usually by name. But that is by custom, not rule.

Note, for ham radio the following applies:

§ 97.119 Station identification.

(a) Each amateur station, except a space station or telecommand station, must transmit its assigned call sign on its transmitting channel at the end of each communication, and at least every 10 minutes during a communication,

For GMRS it is:

§ 95.1751 GMRS station identification.

Each GMRS station must be identified by transmission of its FCC-assigned call sign at the end of transmissions and at periodic intervals during transmissions

Note that neither service requires ID at the start of a transmission.

In fact, the only identification you are required to give is your own call-sign. How, or even whether, you identify the called party, if there even is one (CQ, CQ, CQ...), is up to you.  Since you must identify your own station at the start of a transmission, your call-sign should be given before any other information. Hams commonly call other stations by call-sign and on GMRS it is usually by name. But that is by custom, not rule.

It's funny... I do exactly what you are talking about with everyone except for when I talk to my son, regardless of the band.  LOL  

Him and I usually plan to talk on a specific frequency at a particular... so unless the frequency is in use at that time, I'll just get on the radio and say "hey buddy, you there?" or, "Hey Nick, you on the air?"  I am not sure why... he is the only person I do that with on both GMRS, 2m, 70cm.

It's funny... I do exactly what you are talking about with everyone except for when I talk to my son, regardless of the band.  LOL  

Him and I usually plan to talk on a specific frequency at a particular... so unless the frequency is in use at that time, I'll just get on the radio and say "hey buddy, you there?" or, "Hey Nick, you on the air?"  I am not sure why... he is the only person I do that with on both GMRS, 2m, 70cm.

If there's some ragchew going on and I want in, I'll just jump right in without identifying if it's people I know or people that I know use PTT-ID. Otherwise, I'll wait for a break and give my call suffix (PSG or two-thirteen); then when I get acknowledged, I'll start with my full call. It all depends on the atmosphere of the repeater/group I'm talking to and what level of structure the roundtable has, so I don't interrupt conversation flow when it isn't necessary to go through procedure or get yelled at for quick-keying a comment where a comment procedure is expected.